New Chef’s Knife

John Liu

Woo hoo, my final birthday present arrived, a few days late.

It is a Shun chefs knife, that DD helped SWMBO select.

I have used similar knives and bought them as gifts for others, but never owned one myself. I’ve been on a carbon steel Sabatier kick, getting a new (used) one from Cookin’ every year or so. The Sabs are all-rounders, a nice balance of slim and tough. This Shun is much sharper but also much more fragile. I think it will be a special occasion knife.

There’s nothing like a new special occasion knife to motivate me to cook dinner, so I did. Very simple: tilapia, gently cooked in browned butter; a quinoa/veg scramble; a refrigerator velcro salad.

I think the knife was underwhelmed.

SaveComment23Like3
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Congratulations! Getting a new knife is fun!!

Save    
Lars

I have a Shun chef's knife, and I love it for slicing cabbage for sauerkraut. I tend to use it only for bigger jobs - for smaller vegetables, I use a smaller Japanese knife that is equally sharp.

Save    
lindac92

I want to know about the velcro salad.....

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

Lol

Save    
plllog

LOL! I think it's refrigerator velcro, not velcro salad. The former is that which sticks to the fridge and needs using.

Happy Birthday again, John. Most of my good knives were presents, too. Happiness is a sharp blade. :)

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

ewww .... wilted spinach

Popeye, where are you?

Save    
bbstx

Happy B’day, John! I bought DH a Shun Chef’s knife for Christmas several years ago hoping to entice him into cooking. Didn’t work, but I gained a very nice knife! I, too, tend to use mine as a special occasion knife. “Special occasion knife” sounds like I only use it when cooking in a ball gown. HA!

3 Likes Save    
2ManyDiversions

Happy Birthday, and what a wonderful gift and knife!

BTW, it might be too late to change now... I didn't know what a velcro salad was either... googled it, of course.. I am quite sure that is not what you meant, John! Oh my... no, I am not posting it. I'd be banned for life! LMAO!

1 Like Save    
Lars

Thanks, 2MD 🤐 - of course I had to Google velcro salad and ended up in the Urban Dictionary😱. Won't be going there again!

1 Like Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I was curious, too. Ended up on Urban Dictionary also. Absolutely not going there again. I was shocked to say the least.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Happy Birthday, John.

Save    
John Liu

Thank you. I too am curious about “velcro salad” but if I don’t act on it, the impulse will be gone soon - I seem to have trouble remembering stuff lately, too much going on in the world, I have to put every important task in my calendar. Like “Shower”.

We are steadily going through the dark corners of the refrigerator and eating whatever doesn’t eat us. The pantry is full and the freezer is stuffed, but somehow the feeling of privation is lurking. I hear stories that folks in some places are going out with their deer rifles to put food on the table, but around here the best you could do might be a dachshund.

I’m being silly. We are absolutely fine. There was a huge crisis in our house yesterday though. The WiFi stopped working. I had to rush home and fix it before social order broke down.

2 Likes Save    
twoyur

I acquired my shuns from a co worker. She received them as shower presents. First time she used the nikiri she took off the skin on the front of her knuckles. It and two others , a santoku and paring , showed up on my desk the next day. When I ask what I owed he she said nothing . I ended up taking her and husband out to dinner. Not sure it came close to the price of the knives

2 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

john

pic?

Save    
annie1992

Yes, I'd love to see this particular birthday gift. Happy Birthday, John, I like it better than the pulse oximeter, LOL.

I don't have a Shun, but I do have a "special occasion" knife. Nancy (wizardnm) and her SO, Kim, gave it to Elery and I as a wedding gift, it's a Wusthof serrated utility knife, I use it for slicing tomatoes and for nothing else, it's perfect.

I also have a set of Gerber steak knives, sharp as scalpels, a gift from Peppi that I liked so well I bought a second set. They are no longer made, of course, so I had to search for them, but they're amazing.

So, yeah, I get the premise of a "special occasion knife".

Annie

1 Like Save    
John Liu

4 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

oh yeah .........!!!!!

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

A beautiful knife, John.

Save    
plllog

True. Beautiful knife. Really beautiful onion!

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Wow!

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Color me impressed! Both the knife and the onion slicing! Fantastic shape on that knife!

1 Like Save    
jakkom

Happy birthday, John! Great choice for a present!

Save    
John Liu

DD used a Shun at camp and says my Shun is not as sharp as it should be. So I have started resharpening all my knives and will work on the Shun too. A little bit of isolation mania perhaps. I use an 8000 grit waterstone.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours A Chef’s Kitchen at Home in San Francisco
Master chef and restaurant owner Joanne Weir is always fine-tuning her colorful, treasure-filled kitchen. Take a tour
Full Story
Kitchen Storage Knife Shopping and Storage: Advice From a Kitchen Pro
Get your kitchen holiday ready by choosing the right knives and storing them safely and efficiently
Full Story
Houzz Tours My Houzz: Step Inside a Blacksmith’s Home Workshop
See how this New York homeowner repurposed an old structure to use as his blacksmithing hobby space
Full Story