SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

What does your new workspace look like?

Lars
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Here's what I set up today. My first project will be to reupholster the seat of my sewing chair, using the foam that I already have. I will have to sew the corners of the fabric, to make it look neat.

I have a view of the pool from this table, and so that will help, in addition to providing more light. I stored two bar stools in the garage to get them out of my way. Now I just have to make some masks, after I sort through fabric.

Comments (37)

• 3katz4me
    4 years ago

Looks good Lars!!

Lars thanked 3katz4me
  • carabubble
    4 years ago

I haven't been able to find 1/4 or 3/8 elastic. Have you? If not, what are you using?

Lars thanked carabubble
  • Related Discussions

What does your Pope John Paul II shrub look like?

Q

Comments (38)
    I love mine - its an old one from Jackson Perkins. It looks rough right now, we just survived "Snowmageddon" where temps got to 3. It was horribly cold all week. It is still alive - a big bush - and I am waiting to see what other tiny leaves come out on it before I start pruning it. Smells divine and has been a hardy rose for me. I may get another one just it case. One of my favorite whites.
    ...See More

What does your window look like over your master bath tub?

Q

Comments (17)
    Well, you sort of have to use your imagination with this photo. It shows the tub location with a moderately sized window right over it. Widow is second floor and overlooks a lake, it's totally private. Put a pleated window shade over it, I think it's Hunter-Douglas? It's a top-down, bottom-up, which is great in a bath. If privacy was a factor, you can use the "bottom-up" feature to just have the shade cover the bottom half of the window, so you still have privacy while still maintaining a bit of the view and a bit of the natural light. In this photo you can see the shade is slightly "bottom-up". Mongo
    ...See More

What does your craft room/area look like ?

Q

Comments (13)
    My "craft" room also is the cats room. It has their food and their litter box, and I also have to put my plants in there over the winter. I too have a small path to the table. I put shelves in the closet this summer and put the door in the basement. There great, if I could just get to it now. There used to be a hutch in there, but I have not seen it for awhile. There are plastic bins, boxes, and grocery bags for storage. I have to climb over a baby gate to keep the dogs out. There is also about 12 different items started on the table, or around the table, or somewhere in there. I will be glad when Christmas is over so I can try to clean it. I have to move all the stuff away from the closet tonite so I can get to the wrapping paper!!!!
    ...See More

Drinking water faucet, what does yours look like

Q

Comments (4)
    Saskatchewan Girl, I don't know if this is what you have in mind, but I have the Moen Model 85800SL AquaSuite One-Handle Butler Faucet. Mine is in stainless, but I believe it comes in other finishes as well. It has cold water connections only. Here is a picture of it: Hope this helps.
    ...See More
  • Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

Same as the old, unfortunately. No work-from-home for me. We now have dayshifters coming down to use our computers so they can social distance from each other when we aren't here. So, we are cleaning our spaces more often. We all think we're too close together ourselves.

Lars thanked Kathsgrdn
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

lars, you're a talented person.

Workspace? Nah, not for me. I'm retired.

Lars thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I already had a large collection of elastic. I make a lot of things with knits and lycra, including bathing suits.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

I have 3/8” elastic that I would love to send to someone. A friend has a friend who is making masks. She said she could use the elastic cord I had but not the 3/8”. If you will DM me, I’ll be happy to mail you the elastic.

Lars thanked bbstx
  • Chessie
    4 years ago

There is wide elastic available. Can you not cut it lengthwise and use it?

• jojoco
    4 years ago

A Facebook picture of making the rounds says that the inside of a bungee cord is filled with many elastics.

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Lars, the other end of my workspace also holds a sewing machine many hours of the day, although nothing as fancy as yours. As my DDs organize their stuff out of boredom, they keep bringing me sewing/mending projects. I knew you were talented, but in my mind sewing bathing suits takes you to a whole nuther level. I remember experimenting when I was younger with disastrous results.

this is my space with my new supervisor. What you can’t see is the gigantic Rubbermaid container they make me stash my stuff in each evening so there’s room to eat.

hmmm. Do you think I have enough devices?

Lars thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

If anyone is making masks, my DD says most nurses prefer ties to elastic. The ties are more comfortable and can adjust to fit better.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

@Chessie, I believe elastic would unravel if it were cut in half lengthwise.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

You can make ties with bias seam binding or you can make your own bias seam binding.

Lars thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Springroz
    4 years ago

I would be wasting an entire natural resource trying to sew these!!! I am so proud of you all who DO!!!

Lars thanked Springroz
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

Lar's.... that's a lovely work place.

daisychain01....nice!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I had a renter who hoards move out. She had 2 Great Pyrenes that chewed ALL the lattice work off under the deck. The carpet downstairs smells and she's harassing my property manager to give their deposit back. They(she moved her boyfriend in) removed ALL the closet doors, marked each in permanent marker, A, B, C, D. Then kicked the bedroom doors in, destroying the wood, chiseled new latches for the doors, then took the locks with them. Apparently they didn't get along. During the 6 month walk through, the boyfriend was sleeping downstairs on a mattress.

So I'll be hand sanding & staining these to restore them.

Missing cedar lattice on the double decks. It keeps skunks & raccoons from living under there. I got a quote of $1200 to replace all of it. Doing it myself. Will resod in the Summer. You can't buy sod this time of year in Colorado. The new tenant has NO dogs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The interior's are perfect, clean, So eating lunch will be nice.:0)

A snow storm is coming in tomorrow.....but THIS is what MY new office looks like. :0)

Lars thanked nicole___
  • daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Holy carp, nicole! That's insane. Property management is not an easy job, that's for sure. It's snowing here, too. Bit of a shock after some sunny and unseasonably warm weather.

Lars thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would just like to add that my brother Kevin is using one of the bedrooms in this house for his office, as he needs to be able to close the door for his conference calls/meetings. We're both glad that he has not been laid off, but his business seems to be doing well enough. At this point, we're not sure how long we are going to end up being here, and it might be past the end of May, which is how long I have currently scheduled our mail to be forwarded. The neighbor next door is watching our house in Los Angeles and watering plants in the back yard. She should get some nice surprises when my orchid cactus start blooming - I have a lot of them.

Nicole, sorry to hear about your old tenant. It's amazing that she would try to get any security deposit back, but some people have unmitigated nerve. I hope you have better luck with your new tenant, and I hope the security deposit is high enough to cover your costs in the future.

I'll post a photo of my sewing chair after I recover the seat, but don't expect too much. I just want to make it comfortable, and I'm not going to cover the sides at this time, as that is not urgent, and no one sees this chair normally except for me. At some point I will want it to look better, however.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Great way to get in my steps, especially on a rainy day.

Lars thanked gsciencechick
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

gsciencechick - Can you walk and type at the same time?

nicole - I am so sorry that you had tenants such as that in your life.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Yes, I can. I was able to try it out at a conference a few years back. Once you get your rhythm down, it's pretty easy. I set the speed at about 1.5-1.6 mph. I also have the separate keyboard and mouse, and then the laptop stand keeps it ergonomic.

• two25acres
    4 years ago

My office space is really in one of the public spaces of our home but that's because I'm home alone most of the time when Hubby is working. I prefer the back of the house with the windows so that I can see the back of the property, birds, animals and the pool. Ours is an old mahogany desk that my dad bought my mom shortly before he died in 1974. It has not wholes for wires and the drawers are very heavy but I enjoy it. I normally use my laptop but for corporate security reasons I must use one of their desktops that is approved. I could have my laptop approved but I choose not to at this point as I'm not sure how long I will be doing this.

Lars thanked two25acres
  • dedtired
    4 years ago

Right now my desk space is the floor. Stupid me ( but how could I know) moved my old desk to the garage while I shopped for a new one. Of course I hemmed and hawed and didn’t make a choice. Heaven knows when we’ll be able,to have furniture delivered again.

you all have nice spaces.

Lars thanked dedtired
  • User
    4 years ago

Mine gets toted from the bed to the kitchen to the workout room. I have yet to set up in the library or home office where it would actually make good sense. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Here it is equipped with a squirt bottle, since some little furry "someone" tends to occasionally believe that the mouse is a toy.

Lars thanked User
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I set up my ironing board and iron also, plus I have a spray bottle that I use for spritzing fabric as I am ironing it, if it is cotton or linen, but right now I am working with silk damask, and so no spritzing.

I prefer to have windows in front of me when working on a computer (or sewing machine for that matter) because of the glare. I have my laptop in my bedroom, and I have to angle it so that light does not hit it from the dresser mirror that reflects from the patio door. I'm not doing any real work on my laptop at the moment, but I could if the occasion arose.

• User
    4 years ago

I'm jealous, lake! I'm really missing my dual monitors. Plus, well, that VIEW!

Lars thanked User
  • User
    4 years ago

Ida, I swear, or, perhaps, declare, I could not do my job effectively without my dual monitors, I started WFH on 3/17 and 3 days on a laptop and was ready to pitch it in the drink. That Saturday we opened up for IT assistance and I was there, with bells on, and signed out my stuff. It’s made all the difference and if you are able, I highly recommend it. We in NY are in this for the long haul, I don’t want to be Debbie Downer, but i doubt we will be back in the office before July, so my sanity required preservation.

Lars thanked User
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

Lars, I like a window in front of me when working too. I have my desk positioned so that I'm looking to the front and circular drive. I know who is coming in, and I know if the deer are in my front garden. I did end up adding a TV and mans chair to this room for DH - and now I 'hear' a lot more television than I'd planned to, it's behind me.

I'll have to get a picture of 'my space' later. This week I'm purging. Mountains of papers, maps, old contracts. We're retired after working from home the last many years and when I've finished in another day or two, it will be the same only cleaner and neater. I've emptied one entire file cabinet that is going to Goodwill. My walk in linen closet is filled with bags of things to burn - can be accomplished at the family farm but we've been staying away from most and the nephew who is living there with his young family has still been working, out and around people more than we've been allowing ourselves.

Lars thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

:0) Lars....the deposit was $2300. They should get back about $400. They're upset about not getting ALL of it back. The nicer the rental, the more uppity the renter, I've found.

Lars thanked nicole___
  • gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Lakeffect's name checks out! Love it! I would gladly change my TM desk for that view. Oh yeah, I hear you. At school, they have made all courses online through July. So, no, I will not be going back anytime soon.

• Chessie
    4 years ago

I am making do with just one of my monitors from work, plus my laptop screen. It's harder to work without all that screen real estate, but It was too much hassle to bring home both monitors.

I have been working from home for nearly three weeks now, and I don't expect to go back to the office before late summer.

Lars thanked Chessie
  • hcbm
    4 years ago

I move from sofa to table and then back again, all in one room. I am a Field Consultant. However, now I am a "phone/email" consultant. LOL. I make do in my apartment. I actually have a room I could use but it is not set up correctly. One of my tasks I keep putting off.

Lars thanked hcbm
  • Gooster
    4 years ago

I'm literally working from the formal dining room, which is underutilized. I have a spare monitor set up and the laptop propped up high. I thought of getting a second monitor but the ones at work are on a fixed stand and are not convenient to get. I bought a new office chair back in my first few days of WFH over three weeks ago. I took down the mirror behind me so that I'd have a better surface for my ZOOM backgrounds during teleconferences. I get a view out the front, and can see people walking by I've NEVER seen in 24 years of living in this house.

Lars thanked Gooster
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is my small sewing chair, after I reupholstered it:

I used silk damask fabric from a leftover upholstery order at work. There was just enough of this fabric to cover the seat of this chair with the additional foam, but not enough to make a pillow. I'm glad I salvaged this fabric.

I did not make the best effort on this project, but it is just a utilitarian sewing chair and normally no one sees except for me. The chair seat was very hard before I added additional foam to it. I brought this chair from L.A. with my sewing machines because I had to have a chair at the correct height for me to do my sewing here. Also, the seat lifts up and has storage under it, which I do use. I found the chair when I lived in Venice, and someone had discarded it behind my house there. The chair had its original label, stating that it was made in 1923, and so I guess it is an antique, although not a valuable one. I think the fabric is appropriate for the era.

I do not have enough of this fabric left to upholster the apron of the chair, and so that will stay as it is. I mainly needed cushioning.

• stacey_mb
    4 years ago

Nice job on the upholstery, Lars, and I love the fabric!

Lars thanked stacey_mb
  • Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

When we put our office together, I wanted happy and bright so that’s what I got. My husband loves the desk, because I made it. Not very sophisticated but we like it

Lars thanked Lukki Irish
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

NICE job Lars! Love the fabric. :0)

Lars thanked nicole___
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

LI, what is your flooring? Is it carpet? If so, you might want to get a pad for the chair, as it is difficult to roll a chair over carpet. I got a plastic one at first for the office chair in my carpeted bedroom, but it wore out quickly, and then I replaced it with a faux wood plank one, and that has worked out very well. My brother has a plastic pad at his desk to protect the travertine floor.