SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtpo

Corian vs Dekton

mtpo
4 years ago

Does anyone know of a top notch Corian fabricator in the DC, northern VA, MD area. I planned to use Corian Glacier solid surface white for my kitchen countertops but my builder’s subcontractors do not handle Corian solid surface. Joe C. — do you have any contacts?

If I can’t use Corian, I’m leaning towards Dekton — the builder’s contractor does supply that (and some quartz products and real marble etc).. I’d appreciate the views of Dekton fabricators and homeowners who have lived with Dekton for a while.

Has as anyone seen the new REM color in person? How much brown? Are there a lot of gold flecks? (I’d like a little brown but not a whole lot.) What about Natura and Natura 18 (what’s the difference between Natura and Natura 18)? (Showrooms are all closed to customers due to Corona virus and builder wants to put order in soon. I may beg to stand outside and look at large samples through a window!).

advice on finish? Edges? Any edge better than another to resist chipping?

Below, I’m posting photos of REM and Natura, my kitchen plan and one of my inspiration photos.

I wouldn’t use real marble in the kitchen or showers (bits of iron in real stone can rust) but is it OK to use real marble for vanity top in powder room?

P.S. Too late to change the cabinets. I like the corbels. ☺️ The island has lots of open space for counter stools. I planned where everything will go in the cabinets and am not going to add more top cabinets. What doesn’t fit in the cabinets will go in the fairly large pantry that adjoins the kitchen. I have column fridge and freezer on wall that does not show in drawing - they will have cabinet fronts. I know the plan is not the perfect kitchen triangle... guess I’ll get my exercise. 😁 Cabinets are white shaker.

Thanks!

Comments (39)

• User
    4 years ago

Dekton is more difficult to fabricate than solid surface material. Odds are that you will find a solid material (such as Corian) fabricator easier than finding a Dekton fabricator.

• Theresa
    4 years ago

The Coriander website should have a way to find authorized dealers in your area. I chose Corian and am happy with it.

mtpo thanked Theresa
  • Related Discussions

Livingstone vs Corian vs LG HiMac

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi raggiemom, I also did quite a bit of research before I purchased my Livingstone countertop. I had it installed right before Thanksgiving, so I don't have a lot of wear and tear information. I have four grown sons though and they don't pay much attention to what they set down on it. I had Corian in my last house and I do believe this will prove to be comparable. Have you seen the Livingstone website? www.livingstonesurfaces.com The price as you say, was not that much of a difference that I wouldn't have purchased the Corian if I really felt like this was not a good product. I really did like the color choices too. I don't think you will be disappointed. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

How do you feel about solid surface (Corian) shower walls vs tile?

Q

Comments (117)
    Hi, anyone from Vancouver Canada? I have been trying to find a source for a Corian solid surface shower pan but am having a difficult time finding one. I've called a few bathroom supply stores and went to a few Home Depot and they only have the ugly acrylic ones and only in white, Corian.com does not even mention this type of product so why is that? If it's such a great product why wouldn't they advertise it?
    ...See More

Solid Surface - Formica vs Corian Vs ???

Q

Comments (7)
    The biggest difference are polyester vs acrylic resin. A quick google search will bring up the difference between the two, as each is susceptible to different things. We are hoping to go with Avonite - they make an 'Alpine Shimmer' that is white with this overall very light sparkle/shimmer effect - its GORGEOUS! (You can't tell on a computer screen though, you need to see it in person.)
    ...See More

countertop granite quartz vs corian

Q

Comments (10)
    I am a fabricator. Pick the look you like 1st and then evaluate the different materials. With respect to chipping; either quartz or most granites are very chip resistant if the top corner of the edge is radiused at 3/8" or greater. I believe the vast majority of chipping complaints for either material are due to a sharp top radius. Any of the options you are considering should be durable. I have to disagree with others that assert that granite can't take hot pans. In 18 years I've only had one countertop failure due to heat and that was a lady that had four "lefse" burners set out for a party so the stone was subjected to hot spots for several hours. I move hot pans directly from my stove and oven on to my granite all the time with no ill effects.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    mtpo thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • mtpo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Joseph. The closest Corian fabricator is over 2 hours away — across the Chesapeake Bay bridge in Easton, MD! That would be quite a hike for them to come out to measure and then do a service call if everything didn’t go perfectly on the first try. With all the building that goes on in my area of the country, it’s surprising (and disappointing) that there is no one closer.

My builder stands behind his Dekton fabricator, who is about 30 minutes away. I‘m pretty sure my builder would prefer using a sub that he’s already worked with lots of times. Design wise, I’d probably be satisfied either way. Dekton and Corian will both withstand the UV coming from my big kitchen window and both are stain resistant. I’m worried about the Dekton chipping and cracking. If the Corian chips, it can be repaired. There are numerous people online happy with Dekton but a few are quite unhappy with chipping problems. Have you worked much with Dekton? What do you think of it?

Thanks again!

• spisland
    4 years ago

I believe you can find a reputable fabricator and installer for solid surface somewhere nearby you. It doesn’t have to be someone on Corian’s official list, although that’s always nice.

I had no problem finding my talented fabricator/installer just by calling several countertop fabricators in my area who listed many different materials on their website. For example if I saw LG hi macs, if I saw Staron, if I saw Avonite listed there, I knew they could install Corian or other brands of solid surface.

My main concern was to check out their reputation online before even calling them.

mtpo thanked spisland
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"Have you worked much with Dekton? What do you think of it?"

I've never worked with the stuff, but that's irrelevant. It is chippy and unlike Corian, the chips and cracks are essentially unrepairable inconspicuously.

Call the guy that's two hours away please. He may know someone closer. I'll drive two hours for the right customer, no problem..

• deb s
    4 years ago

I just had Dekton put in my bar area in my house- the product I purchased is thinner than most slabs so make sure to check that or budget for two layers around the edge. I went with a concrete look -matte finish - the seam is visible (not horrible)

mtpo thanked deb s
  • spisland
    4 years ago

I’ll share that many years ago I actually thought I’d be obligated to use the continuous solid surface sink, if I ever used the product for the countertop. Sounds dumb to me now, of course 😄

Nothing wrong with doing the sink in it too, but I wasn’t sure I wanted to deal with certain things that could happen here in a sink. I was fearful to ruin the entire countertop length, and I was just unaware I had the same sink options as any stone!

I have since installed it with an under mount sink style, and it looks so nice :) You probably aren’t as naive as I was, but I’m sharing this in case others may think of solid surface the way I did way back then. It’s really a great product for the long run.

mtpo thanked spisland
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I never understand why you would choose a fake material when there are amzing real stones . I have never liked corain no matter what color I have no experience with Dekton but lots with natural stone. BTW marble is not that haed to live with and has been used in Europe for eons .

• darbuka
    4 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting, AMEN!

Plastic, is plastic. Corian is plastic. Corian looks like plastic. Corian feels like plastic. Plastic is not pretty. Plastic is not organic, sensual, elegant.

Give me any real stone, be it granite, quartzite, marble or soapstone, any day. The beauty of REAL cannot be duplicated by plastic.

• jdesign_gw
    4 years ago

Update on Corian. Corian just came out with oversized sheets in Glacier white only. Four sizes up to 60" wide ( don't want to lift that one) . This will greatly help when fabricating an island.

mtpo thanked jdesign_gw
  • spisland
    4 years ago

Well solid surface does have at least a few good qualities.. Lol :D

It tends to take on the temperature of the room, and in winter in a cold state that can be truly nice.

It is quieter for all the dishes clanking around in a kitchen, and is generally easier on them as well.

You can find the plainest style if you need that most, particularly if you have busy tile, such as I have here in a bathroom. Granite, beautiful as it definitely can be, would be perfectly nauseating in that room, unfortunately.

People who live in mobile homes or in RV’s usually can’t do the weight of stone. I recall one sad story on here of a woman who got stone for her mobile home’s kitchen. Extremely serious and expensive foundation problems were her payback. Truly sad for her.

Solid surface is basically seamless to the eye. It’s repairable and chips are not much of a concern even if you [somehow] manage to cause them.

So, it’s not all bad ;-) Not to say marble isn’t gorgeous! I’d definitely go with that or the most demure granite over quartz.

mtpo thanked spisland
  • darbuka
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

“Well solid surface does have at least a few good qualities.. Lol :D It tends to take on the temperature of the room, and in winter in a cold state that can be truly nice.”

Same for soapstone. Soapstone never gets cold, even during cold Northeast winters.

“It is quieter for all the dishes clanking around in a kitchen, and is generally easier on them as well.”

Hmmm, we PLACE our dishes on the soapstone counters. Never hear “clanging”. Homes are not diners, where plates are slammed quickly, into the counters. Haven’t heard loud clanking on the granite counters in my friends’ kitchens, either.

”You can find the plainest style if you need that most, particularly if you have busy tile, such as I have here in a bathroom. Granite, beautiful as it definitely can be, would be perfectly nauseating in that room, unfortunately.”

Exactly why the pros agree that backsplash should be selected last. That info has been posted time and time again on this forum.

“People who live in mobile homes or in RV’s usually can’t do the weight of stone...”

That‘s a matter of common sense. Not to be snarky, or demeaning, but that’s not who’s coming here for information. I’ve yet to see any people in mobile homes posting questions here, and I’ve been on this site for 20 years...in all its iterations...the Homesite, Garden Web, and Houzz.

“Solid surface is basically seamless to the eye. It’s repairable and chips are not much of a concern even if you [somehow] manage to cause them.”

A top notch fabricator of any stone, can make seams “virtually” invisible. Proper placement of the seam, is key. Good luck finding the seam in my soapstone. One friend of mine has Corian...not only does her white Corian sink constantly have stains, but the two seams on her counters are clearly visible to my eyes.

As for chipping, yes, granite, marble and other stones can chip in the right circumstance. I’ve got granite in my bathrooms, and in the laundry/mud room. Many things have dropped on them...metal razors, iPhones, watches...with nary a chip. The soapstone in the kitchen, is a hard variety, Belvedere. It’s 4+ years old, and there’s not one chip...not even around the under mount sink, where pots being cleaned bump into it.

Oh, and soapstone handles heat, without scorching, melting, or cracking. Can you say that about Corian, or any plastic counter material?

• spisland
    4 years ago

Wow, I like others counters too.

mtpo thanked spisland
  • blubird
    4 years ago

Just jumping in to defend spisland's statement re mobile homes. On several occasions over the years a few people have posted questions about kitchens/decor in their mobile homes, and more specifically, there was a posting in the past year about foundation problems in a mobile home after a kitchen reno gone rogue.

mtpo thanked blubird
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I've had Glacier White Corian now for 35 years and I could not be happier. When I redid my kitchen 3 years ago, I reused my Corian countertops - they still looked like new. I was able to add a matching 5' section as well. When the countertops were 19 years old, I added an integrated Corian sink - best sink I've ever owned. What other countertop surface could one say any of these things about!

Plasticky? Doesn't feel that way to me and you all on GW know how picky/fussy I am!. It's simply the best countertop out there and it goes with everything. The seams are virtually invisible, it's easily repairable and it wears like iron. What's not to like!

Remember, it's also antibacterial - important right now in the Covid19 time. It is used extensively in operating rooms in hospitals, and in the UK and Europe is considered a very high end, designer product.

Granite took over in the US at the same time Corian insisted that all their installers become certified - easier to just switch to granite. Then it went into the Big Box stores and everyone decided it was no different than Formica and on it's "luxury" level, ie "builder's special". It was never a builder's special. It was always a high end product.

The Glacier White is a bargain as it's their simplest and in their cheapest price category. I would not have anything else if someone gave it to me.

mtpo thanked Anglophilia
  • User
    4 years ago

I have a solid surface countertop and I love it. It doesn't sound "plastic". It feels solid, it's smooth, easy to clean (and I have white with a small design). No sealing; no oiling; hasn't chipped; hasn't discolored; no off gassing. I didn't buy Corian from DuPont but solid surface from another manufacturer. I also have Silestone quartz in calacatta gold, which is essentially white. I like them both. I replaced granite counter tops with the quartz. I'm much happier with quartz over granite, and neutral between the quartz and solid surface. One of the most difficult questions in the first world is what material to use for kitchen counter tops. Too many good alternatives, each with their cheerleaders.

mtpo thanked User
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

People making “plastic” and “fake” allegations against Corian must hate engineered stone as well as the substantial difference is the filler, Quartz vs. aluminum tryhydrate.

Granite simply wouldn’t exist as a countertop without the “plastic” resin applied at the processor, along with the mesh backs.

Get your facts straight, haters.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Furthermore, let's go back though the Houzz archives and see how many people have complained about having unremovable stains in Corin as they do in stone. That would be none. And adhesive bleed at built-up edges? Nu-uh. Unrepairable chips and cracks as with sintered? Not finding any. Corian sucking cooking oil at stove edges? Funny marks and inconsistent finishes?

Guess Mother Nature needs a helping hand.

• spisland
    4 years ago

... Guess I should have stated that the tile in my bathroom wasn’t about backsplash at all haha. But it sure is on the floors and shower.

It’s pretty controlling bath tile, however, it’s still visually pleasing to me. So... I was kind of needing a plain or slightly flecked countertop option, the latter of which I did.

As much as I’d welcome a marble countertop there, or a demure granite, neither could have fit my bill (like I said, probably nauseating). So, solid surface to the rescue. Or a plain laminate :) I chose SS.

Yes, I do know backsplash chosen last is always the right order, and yes, that this fact has been stated “time and time again,” thanks, darbuka. .... I just don’t have any tile backsplash in my baths because of the busy tile I mentioned before. (I have just used the counter material as some backsplash on the vanity wall. Best choice in there.)

I, too, loved my old science lab counters, and in those years had never seen the likes of them anywhere else. Beautiful stuff. And there are plenty of other beautiful choices I like out there.

Many just don’t know solid surface has been nicely upgraded over the years, and could be deserving of a minute’s consideration once again. Or don’t. :)

mtpo thanked spisland
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

I've specified Dekton in my last two kitchen designs. If the fabricator is a certified Dekton provider, you should have no problem with the fabrication/installation. One thing you should be aware of, however:

Because it's an Ultra-compact surface, the design is NOT thru-body. That means that if you have veining or other patterns on the surface as part of the material, that pattern will not show on the edges. You'll only see the solid resin color. It's not really noticeable if you're not looking for it. But it would bug some people. You should ask the fabricator to show you an eased edge sample so you can see what I mean. For this reason, I tend to spec solid colors for Dekton to avoid that problem.

Personally, I like the look of Dekton better than Corian. It's also pretty indestructible and non-porous.

mtpo thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • richfield95
    4 years ago

There are other brands of solid surface, i had LG HyMacs in white installed 3 years ago and I’m happy with it. I like it because it’s a solid color; it doesn’t feel cold and is almost ‘soft’ to the touch. Plus, a couple months ago we had to make a modification to our counters when I changed stoves and we were able to DIY it.

Everyone has their preference, but I find the arguments about solid surface being ‘fake’ or ‘plastic’ absurd. We are surrounded by plastic everywhere in our lives.

mtpo thanked richfield95
  • User
    4 years ago

Better things for better living through Chemistry!

mtpo thanked User
  • mtpo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the great comments. Thanks to Joseph C, I traced down a certified Corian fabricator that’s about 30 minutes from my new build. I’m waiting to hear if my builder will work with him. Today I heard that the place that is supposed to build my kitchen cabinets SHUT DOWN due to COVID-19 so the cabinet store is scrambling, trying to figure out what to do. I feel a huge upcharge coming.

The cabinet designer warned me that there’s often a weird glitch when installing an undermount sink in a Dekton countertop. The builder already ordered the sink, the Elkay Crosstown 35” stainless farmhouse. I need to find out more about the problem of using Dekton with an undermount. Do any of you know what that’s about —- and if there is a fix? Can I even use Dekton with this sink?

For those of you that hate Corian, please note that none of the countertop choices are perfect. I’m trying to build a beautiful house and at the same time deal with the reality that my DH will be bumping his wheelchair into the cabinets and counters and dropping things on the counters on a daily basis. That’s life— and that’s a boatload of countertop chips waiting to happen. So, even if the Corian has its own drawbacks, I will be happy if I can occasionally get it sanded and filled and get it looking brand new rather than totally replacing a chipped or cracked countertop, or living with a countertop that discolors from UV (I.e., quartz), leaks iron that turns to rust (real stone), or off-gasses.

If my builder squashes Corian, I’ll try to make the best of the situation and go with something his preferred subcontractor supplies. Right now, I’m thinking that will be Dekton (my builder’s sub works with Dekton among other things), and that certainly has its benefits and drawbacks too. Maybe I’ll use quartz or real marble for bath vanities. So, I appreciate your help in educating me about these products so I know what questions to ask and so I get the best result. Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"The cabinet designer warned me that there’s often a weird glitch when installing an undermount sink in a Dekton countertop. The builder already ordered the sink, the Elkay Crosstown 35” stainless farmhouse. I need to find out more about the problem of using Dekton with an undermount. Do any of you know what that’s about —- and if there is a fix? Can I even use Dekton with this sink?"

That sink probably comes with mechanical clips that Elkay expects you to drill into the Dekton. You drill into Dekton and you've probably voided the warranty.

Throw those clips out. Please. Elkay provides them with their Quartz Luxe too. I've installed more than 50 of those and threw out the clips every time. No callbacks; no leaks.

Strap the sink in place with a Hercules Universal Sink Harness (Braxton Bragg) or a Sink Strap or two from Gran Quartz. I don't care if the sink sets on a cabinet shelf. Tear out the shelf out and use the straps. Shelves can't push sinks up; straps can.

No glitches; that ^ is the fix. You can use Dekton with this sink.

• jupidupi
    4 years ago

I love my Corian counter. (It's actually Hi-Macs -- same difference -- I chose it because they had a shade of solid cream that I wanted.) I asked the installer to save the piece that was cut out for my sink. I smoothed the edges, and keep that piece right next to my stove as a cutting board. I use it as a trivet, too. I take things directly out of the oven or off the stove and set them right on it. No burns, no scorching, no melting, no cracks. Someone else might find it "plastic-y" I find it beautiful and it makes my whole kitchen feel bright and clean. It's a clean you can see, with no bits of food, spices, etc. that hide as they do on granite, soapstone or other dark or patterned counters. And news flash, there is no such stone in nature as Dekton, and so-called quartz is not the stuff you find on the hiking trail. It's a ground up, processed, fillered material. Eating natural foods is a good idea. But I'm not planning to eat my countertop.

mtpo thanked jupidupi
  • PRO
    Cosentino North America
    4 years ago

Hi all,

Even when most showrooms are closed due to the current situation we are facing, Cosentino's locations are offering Live Virtual Visits, including the Washington Center.

You can book your appointment online and we'd be happy to assist you with all your questions about Dekton Aura or other materials. Please go here to find out more about how to schedule your virtual visit

Thank you!

mtpo thanked Cosentino North America
  • mtpo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! I will follow up soon.😁

• nosoccermom
    4 years ago

I can recommend a Neolith fabricator in the DC area (installed 4-5 years ago).

• rockycalle
    4 years ago

@mtpo can you share with me your Corian fabricator? I'm the Baltimore area and have been searching to no avail. Thank you!

• mtpo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rockycalle,

C.H. Briggs sent me a list of 4. — they are all in Virginia.

Metro Stone Works in Manassas Park. 703-393-0491.

Total Millworker, Manassas VA. 301-459-7484

Ellis Page Co 703-464-9404

Heartwood Solid Surfaces, Manassas Park 703-369-0045.

i made contact with someone at Heartwood. I haven’t sent them my plans yet but plan to do so. The gentleman I spoke to was very nice. I haven’t made contact with the others yet.

what are you planning to have done? Let me know if you have good luck. 😀

• Rachel
    4 years ago

mtpo, I don't have any comments on Corian but I wanted to reach out and lend support to you. I am building a new home and my husband is disabled and in a wheelchair. We are building so the new place will be more accessable for him. I've had to make many decisions to accommodate his needs. For example, the pulls for the kitchen are more rounded as I think that there will be less chance that he will crash into them than the more stylized, sharp-edged hardware I'd originally selected. Stay strong and I'm sure your project will be lovely.

• mtpo
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you for the supportIve comments, berlinri. Perhaps we should start a whole new post to share ideas on universal access/ ADA adaptations. I had asked for advice on a separate post about whether to upgrade our elevator selection to get the style with the single elevator door and got helpful replies. I ended up going for the upgrade — which was about $15,000 just for the upgrade. We gave up a few other things to try to keep our total cost from getting out of control. We opted For a 2 1/2 car garage but still have steps to the first floor entry — the architect said that was the trade off (given our plans) to get the extra garage height we wanted in case we ever want to get a van with the pop top. That means my next item of research will be about a wheelchair lift for the garage.. How far are you in the building process? We are under roof — rough plumbing and electrical are pretty much done, I think drywall should start this coming week.

• mtpo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks nosoccermom. How is your Neolith holding up? My sister used it in her kitchen renovation and loves how easy it is to clean but she is noticing tiny chips at the front of the countertop where one stands to wash dishes. Her install is less than a year old. She used quartz for the new master BR bath vanity. That also got small chips at the edge of the vanity near the sink. She doesn’t know if chips are from leaning against the sink with a belt on or from a zipper on jeans. Her experience with chipping is what sent me in the direction of exploring Corian as an option.

• Rachel
    4 years ago

mtpo, we are building a townhome with an elevator! We are under roof, and mechanicals have just begun. I am fortunate to have found a builder who was willing to customize our home for accessability. The elevator option for this home was 60K which I know they are making quite a bit of money on. We've upgraded the size of the cab so it is significantly deeper so it will comfotably accommodate my hubby and another person. Fortunately, there was not an extra charge for this. The wheelchair takes up quite a bit of space . . . we measured. I was able to design the garage level so there are no steps between garage and hall to elevator. This will help a lot. We've made all doors 36" wide and expanded the size of the powder room. The main living floor, kitchen, LR, DR are all open concpet. We are doing a zero clearance shower in the bath where the tiled floor slopes to the drain and wheelchair vanity. Construction has stopped so I have no idea when the home will be complete. Yes, maybe we should start another thread . . . sorry everyone, I feel like I highjacked this one.

• Rachel
    4 years ago

FWIW, I am doing granite in the kitchen. We built our current home almost 26 years ago and put blue pearl, never sealed, in the kitchen. It has been indestructable, but I admit we've sacraficed plates and glasses over the years. Still it looks as good as when it was installed with no chips at all. My granite for the new build is much lighter, so it will be sealed. Hopefully no chipping problems.

• rockycalle
    4 years ago

@mtpo

Thank you so much! I will reach out and hopefully try to get on the books once our stay home orders are done.

I'm looking to get new glacier white counter tops (replacing a hack job granite from previous owners). I tried the HD route but had second thoughts.

mtpo thanked rockycalle
  • SK
    last year
    last modified: last year

@rockycalle @mtpo I live in DC as well, and have decided to install Corian Glacier White. I know this is an old thread, but hoping one of you is still checking this forum!

What was the problem with ordering and installing from Home Depot? And who did you end up going with with your installer? Thanks!