SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_2434968

How to deal with Landscaper who didn't deliver...

Winnie C
4 years ago

Hi everyone, wanted to see what you all think about this situation and any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

I am redoing the front yard and putting in some custom height 10" weathering steel edging. There is a slope to my yard and I had wanted to make sure to have very clean modern lines and that the top of the edging is leveled. I communicated these expectations to the landscaper, who I worked with 2 times previously with no problems.

Fast forward two weeks later, the project started, and the steel planters were fabricated, and we ran into problems...first, the steel edges are not straight, so he suggested we go to a thicker gauge and he says this will allow straight rigid lines. I then agreed to pay this additional cost. And then after that part is redone, I was informed that my slope is a lot more steep than what he expected, and that he is unable to level. And the thicker material is still warped. His solution for the warping is to have unsightly stakes on the outside to keep them in place, which defeats the purpose of the custom edging that's supposed to give a clean and straight planters look.

So now I am stuck with the steel edging that's not leveled nor straight. Now he's wanting more money to fabricate taller edging to address the level issue, and want to regrade my yard to hide the stakes on the outside to conceal it, and I have to bear the additional cost once again.

What would you do here? I want to be reasonable, but this is not what I had asked for, and I feel like this is their first project with steel edging hence the inexperience in installation/execution.

Comments (11)