chickpeas and black floating bits

HU-471843810

I was cooking some chickpeas recently. I soaked overnight then and then was boiling them. Part way through the boil I found these black and purple coloured things floating around in the water. I am not sure if this is dirt from the pot or is this normal. Would somebody mind helping me out here with some thoughts?

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac92

Sounds like dirt either from the pot or the chick peas themselves....did you rinse them?
I would dump out and rinse and fill with fresh water.

Save    
nancyofnc

Maybe pantry moths if you started with dried chickpeas. Did you rinse them before you soaked them? No, black bits are not normal - in any kind of dried beans.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Weevils?

Save    
nancyofnc

weevils are larvae of pantry moths

Save    
HU-471843810

Thanks for the help. In the end I think it was the old pot I was using. The non stick coating was peeling off. i have purchased a new stainless steel pot now.

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Glad to know it wasn't critters!

And I meant weevils, a.k.a. grain beetles. Their legs don't stick out when they're dead, so they look like little black crumbs. We get them here. I put all my grains, etc. in the freezer for a week or so before storing to control them.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 8 Reasons to Paint Your Interior Trim Black
Hide imperfections, energize a space, highlight a view and more with a little bit of darkness that goes a long way
Full Story
Colors of the Year Benjamin Moore Floats Breath of Fresh Air as Its Color of 2014
Touted as a new neutral, this baby blue can stand on its own or support bolder colors. Here's how to use it
Full Story
Black Eye-Catching Islands: 8 That Are Elegant in Black
Pack a dramatic punch with a black island in the kitchen
Full Story
We specialize in residential landscape design throughout the metropolitan Washington area. We’ve helped millions... Read More
Fitzgerald Home Furnishings has everything for your home's interior - all under one roof! We have quality... Read More