SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dahoog00

Sweet potato slips

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

The remnants of last years sweet potatoes started to sprout; so I went with it, scrubbing out the bulb years from last winter's Christmas paperwhites and dug out the three largest of the little tubers that were left. Each one rooted right out in the bulb jar and between them have sent up over a dozen real healthy slips. I know this is real early, but I am just at the point now of potting them up. I tossed the rest of the fragments on top of a couple of inches of dirt in a small bucket and covered them, they are producing a whole lot more. The last tuber was one of the purple/purples from the grocery store that I never quite got around to cooking. It was also starting to spout and I should get a bunch off of it. They are all looking real nice. I should end up (hopefully) with some three dozen well rooted starts, enough to get a few good plants out of once the weather gets stable, warm enough. From the foliages it looks like I should have three different types, two of which came out of my garden last year. With nurseries charging something like $20 a dozen for slips, if I get anything at all out of these, it will be money ahead for sure. I would like to have my own productive sp strains if possible, like I have for garlic, just to see if I can do it.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery