My Dad actually like pineapple pizza

l pinkmountain

So I'm stepping up meal delivery to Dad. I have a lot of leftover ham in the freezer as a resource, thawing bit by bit and so I was already thinking abut making some pizza and realized I could make on for Dad of his favorite type--Hawaiian. He said he likes pineapple, ham and cheese. He's a great "sweet and sour" taste lover. Anyone have a recipe they like? I have ham, pineapple and mozzarella and parmesean cheese and tomato products, but Dad said no on the tomato. I also have barbecue and teryaki type sauces. I have no idea how to make this, hubs and I both loathe it.

SaveComment24Like
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

This is the third time in a couple days someone around me has mentioned Hawaiian pizza. Weird. Not my favorite and I don’t have a recipe; thinking it might be worth precooking the pineapple a bit to keep it from getting soggy.

I’m responding more because it sounds like your arrangements with your dad have changed, and I just want to say I hope it’s working out well for all.

Save    
plllog

I remember having it in Canada, where it was invented, when I was a teen. It was way different, but very good.

It was made with canned pineapple, which is cooked. I would suggest the can because it still has good texture, The classic is with the small pieces, about the size of a pinkie nail, but that's to taste, of course. Fresh pineapple is too juicy and has the enzymes, and, yes, gives soggy pizza.

I wouldn't use parm. Mozzarella, yes. For the sauce, nothing too "Italian" or pizza flavor. Plain tomato sauce, or even a sweet and sour sauce if it's not too sweet, or a combination. I don't know what was on that Canadian one, but it was thin and on the sweeter side, but could just have been simple tomato sauce. Teriyaki and barbecue are too sweet and have the wrong flavor for Hawaiian. Barbecue pizza and teriyaki pizza are both good, but they don't have sweet toppings.

It had that thin sliced meat we call "Canadian bacon" as well as small chunks of ham. And onion strips.

I've occasionally been served Hawaiian pizzas and ones with pineapple since, but they weren't properly balanced, and too Italian to pair well with the pineapple. I'm sure you can do better!

I hope he likes it! (I know he's picky.)

Save    
l pinkmountain

I am just delivering. His avenues for getting out are narrowing but he is still fighting it. I get it, mad scary changes to his routine. At 88 that's horrible. He's dialing it down and now will let us run errands for him. Hopefully his friends will cooperate and comply with our government's recommendations and visit him only at a safe distance. Hoping he makes it to warmer weather when he can visit with folks at a safe distance outside. Mom Nature sent us a snowstorm to complicate things today.

Save    
bbstx

DH really doesn’t want to eat pizza if it doesn’t have pineapple on it. He doesn’t want the pineapple grilled or hot. Fresh out of the can sprinkled across the top. And now you know why when we have pizza, we have 2 pizzas, his and hers!

I wish I had a picture of the pizza guy in Rome throwing his hands in the air and yelling NO when DH asked for pineapple on his pizza! It may have been the highlight of my trip! 😆

3 Likes Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

When we would have pizza parties at work they always got a Hawaiian. It had just a "kiss" of tomato sauce, ham, Canadian Bacon, green pepper thinly sliced, canned pineapple tidbits and a good layer of mozzerella. It was dusted with a very light sprinkle of nutmeg. And there was never a leftover slice, go figure!

Save    
sherri1058

Okay, I'll bite. Canadian here that likes Hawaiian pizza. Generally, it is just back bacon and pineapple with mozzarella cheese on a very very thin layer of tomato sauce. Sometimes, but not often, you see both back bacon and side bacon. I've never heard of nutmeg as an ingredient though.

Save    
l pinkmountain

Here's kind of a blurry pic. of the pizza. I still have trouble with my top cheese burning before my bottom crust is finished . . . I greased the pan with duck fat, just a smidge of tomato basil and garlic sauce, pineapple well drained and cooked a bit to dry out, sliced ham and lots of mozzarella. Dad doesn't like green peppers. I think it was pretty good tasting. The ham was good so that really made the dish.

3 Likes Save    
annie1992

L, that looks good to me. I also seem to get the top crunchy before the bottom is, for some reason. And you greased the pan with duck fat? Ok, that's taking it up a notch!

Annie

Save    
Islay Corbel

I had a Hawaiian pizza in Italy! It was just a marguerita with pineapple chunks. I really like it.

Save    
plllog

IC< that's the food=place thing. Spinach=Florentine, Avocado=California (unless you're in California), Pineapple=Hawaiian. And Hawaiian pizza, as it's made in North America, is Canadian. :)

1 Like Save    
ghoghunter

If you make your own pizza you can take a prebaked crust and top it with BBQ pulled pork and top that with pineapple chunks and mozzarella cheese..its called a Big Kahuna pizza! Its pretty tasty too!

1 Like Save    
ci_lantro

Most times, I use spaghetti sauce out of the jar for pizza. A neutral one, not one heavy on oregano. And not too much sauce. Pineapple, ham, green pepper--red onion is nice, too. Good with a touch of fennel because I love fennel. Perfectly acceptable without.

ETA: Only mozzarella. Skip the parm. Parm is too heavy & would muck up the other lively flavors.

1 Like Save    
Lars

One of my best friends in Vancouver had a Hawaiian pizza delivered while I was visiting him, and I could not eat more than one bite. First of all, I don't like pineapple and ham together, or anything sweet with ham. I prefer Mexican carnitas, and that might be good on a pizza.

If I were to put pineapple on a pizza, it would have to be tart, and I would grill it first. I do have pineapple plants in my back yard that make pineapples, but I have to pick the pineapples before critters get to them, or else build a cage around the plants.

I also do not like any kind of cheese with pineapple. In fact, I really do not like traditional Hawaiian food, but fortunately I did not have to eat that when I was in Hawaii. I don't like Polynesian or Filipino food either, but we did have good food in Fiji. It did not seem Polynesian to me - we mostly had fish there.

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

In Britain we eat gammon with pineapple and then there are the bizarre "hedgehogs" made by sticking toothpicks with pineapple and cheddar stuck in fruit......

Save    
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan

Islay, I had to look up gammon. That's a new food word for me. I thought I knew British food words, but there are probably a lot more than I don't know.

l pinkmountain Your pizza looks great to me. How nice you made something special for your dad that isn't something you prefer. Hawaiian pizza is my husband's favorite. A local place has been flooding my inbox with take out and delivery ads. Last night we decided to do our small part to help keep them in business during these times and ordered a Hawaiian pizza. So good.....and first thing in several weeks that was not prepared by us. What a treat. They delivered to my car in the parking lot, even did the payment outside. They are trying hard to address customer concerns and keep enough business to survive.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I had to look up gammon, too.

A term used to describe a particular type of Brexit-voting, europhobic, middle-aged white male, whose meat-faced complexion suggests they are perilously close to a stroke.

;)

3 Likes Save    
Lars

Does your dad like anchovies on pizza? Some people don't, but I love them, as long as the salt is adjusted.

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

A term used to describe a particular type of Brexit-voting, europhobic, middle-aged white male, whose meat-faced complexion suggests they are perilously close to a stroke.

That made me snort laughing. Thanks!😂

Save    
Marilyn_Sue

I really like Hawaiian pizza, but made with barbecue sauce instead of the pizza sauce. I like other kinds too though.

Sue

1 Like Save    
seagrass_gw

Right now, I'd eat any kind of pizza...

1 Like Save    
l pinkmountain

Dad is supposed to do low salt due to impaired kidney function and congestive heart failure. He doesn't. Hawaiian pizza is not low salt. Best I can hope for with my Dad is to try and get him to moderate his salt intake. He refuses to use any reason with it and whatever I say is always wrong.

1 Like Save    
Olychick

You know, at some point, quality of life might be better than quantity. I'd rather shorten my life and enjoy some things I want, than live longer feeling deprived.

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

Pink if you make your own pizza, you can make it low salt.

Save    
Lars

I generally do not like salt, but one thing that I do think needs salt is wheat. I'm not sure why that is, but I could not eat bread or pizza crust that was low salt. I'm find with low salt or no salt in cornbread (which I make without wheat), and I prefer corn on the cob without salt, but that's because corn is sweet - wheat is not.

Perhaps on a sweet Hawaiian pizza salt would not be needed. Personally, I would never want a sweet pizza.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design A Pizza Oven, a Secret Door and 2 Cooks
In the latest episode of Houzz TV, we revisit this popular Oregon kitchen designed for rolling and tossing dough
Full Story
Life What It’s Really Like to Live Through a Remodel
We offer a few tips for remodeling newbies on what to expect and how to survive the process
Full Story
Moving How to Make Your New House Feel Like Home After a Move
Leave the chaos of relocating behind and start putting down roots with these 10 simple tips
Full Story