SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
finndian

HELP... I had a fire in my garage and need to gut my apartment!

Paul F.
4 years ago

I own a triplex and live in the front unit. I had a fire in my garage and my furnished rental, in the back, adjacent to the garage is heavily smoke damaged. The contractors are telling me its a complete gut, kitchen, and bathrooms too. All the furniture will be replaced as well. I did the design in the small downstairs area 8 years ago and now have to do it all again. I took out the wall into the kitchen and added mirror everywhere I could to get a reflected view outdoors, took out the frosted glass in the front door trying to make it feel bigger. This time I'm thinking of going further and removing the fireplace entirely and adding a big folding glass door in that spot instead for more indoor-outdoor living. The upstairs is easily 3 times the size of downstairs with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and laundry area so everything I do means its more likely I can rent the place. Maybe move the TV to the stairwell wall? Add a ventless gas fireplace somewhere else? Absolutely nothing is too big of an idea including building in cabinets into the long wall as I can encoach into the garage somewhat but not move the entire wall out. ANY ideas or suggestions from you talented people would be great!

Comments (3)