Freezing Egg Beaters

foodonastump

I got ahold of a few quarts of Egg Beaters, which I though might be good for my parents to keep around. Only problem, once opened they should be used within seven days, which they likely won’t do. Everything I can find says you can freeze unopened cartons, but not once opened. Does anyone know of a good reason for this?

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

wow, you're right... I just did some searching and they all say not to freeze them once they're opened. I cannot imagine why. I assume you want to open and portion them smaller before freezing. I'd do it!

Save    
foodonastump

Yes, that’s exactly what I want to do. It wouldn’t be sitting open any longer than it would take to pour into packages and throw them in the freezer.

Save    
party_music50

If they require mixing, then I'd open the pkg, mix, and immediately portion them out. I've never eaten them but looked at the ingredient list and I don't see any problems. Go for it! :)

1 Like Save    
lindac92

They don't want any "head room" in the container....ti will get dry and icky. Freeze it in carefully sized containers. I can buy them in half pint sizes....I use them to make a sort of faux make ahead Caesar dressing.

Save    
Islay Corbel

Can you freeze then sous vide package them?

Save    
Max Forsyth

I don 't think so! this kind of thing is good on holidays

Save    
nancyofnc

Make scrambled eggs without any milk or salt. Just heat a non-stick pan and cook until they are still a little runny. Put in small snack sized plastic bags removing as much air as you can. Lay them down in the freezer where they'll keep for 6 months or so. Defrost in microwave or in refrigerator. Re heat with S&P or any other toppings like cooked bacon, cheese, chopped tomatoes and basil, salsa. I make mine into egg salad with a little mustard, dill pickle relish, horseradish, celery, and mayo. Note that 1/2 cup egg beaters makes enough scrambled for 2 servings.

Save    
foodonastump

Linda - that might just make sense! Yes, IC, I’ll try putting into small zip locks and remove air. After shaking.

Nancy - I wouldn’t have thought to cook and freeze. Not exactly what I had in mind but might just be worth trying.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping Get Organized for Holiday Baking
Before you crack that first egg, establish a game plan for stress-free success
Full Story
Guesthouses Room of the Day: A Maine Guest Cottage Steeped in Charm
Once offering eggs for sale, this little guesthouse now offers a serene experience in a refined rustic setting
Full Story
Gardening Guides What You Should Know About Composting in Winter
Find out how to keep your compost pile hot when the weather outside is freezing cold
Full Story