SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

How are you planning holidays?

plllog
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We have a lot of elders in my family. I'm not an elder, but not so young either. The last couple of years, we haven't done the several dozen family dinners for holidays because it was more than some of them could deal with, but have still done a dozen of just the most immediate. Passover (and Easter) is just a few weeks off. Even without services (which aren't such a big part of Passover, though I know it's the main thing for Easter), it would be awfully sad to just skip the holiday. What are your plans?

I'm thinking for our Seder, no actual company. That would put us at 5-6. This is actually very freeing! There are no small children to do it "right" for. We can be creative. I've run my ideas by my mother who is willing. Like charoset tart. I don't know if it'll work. I'm not het up enough to do practice runs, but can keep a little charoset aside in case it's awful. :) My idea is a matzah meal tart shell. I might practice that. I can add some almond flour if needed, especially since there wouldn't be any sugar, but I'd rather keep it as plain as possible. Some kind of horseradish cream type thing, but non-dairy. Maybe egg or tofu based. Filled with well drained charoset (apple, pecans, sweet grapy wine and cinnamon chopped finely together and soaked in more wine). Ours is very nutty.

For the main meal, rather than making a couple of proteins for the feast, I'm aiming for just one that everyone will enjoy and that doesn't require a special order from the butcher. I figure the crazy should settle down by then, but it's hard to say what will be easily available. We grow lots of chickens in California, so I'm thinking chicken. Then, in the spirit of going against tradition, I've been considering matzah breaded chicken schnitzel. (I already have lots of extra matzah.) Baked potatoes because they please everybody, and green kugel. Asparagus.

If I'm making chicken, however, maybe not chicken soup. One of the group particularly likes matzah balls, but I think something like a peppery squash soup or carrot soup with spaetzle might be more interesting.

If I have time, maybe macarons for dessert. Making macarons for the multitudes is a thanked but not thankful enough task. :) This is a manageable number. :) Especially if I can get them made early and frozen.

What are your plans?

Comments (13)