Hidden treasures published between 1930 to 1950 which you enjoyed ?
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
Related Discussions
Treasure in the attic, basement...other places?
Comments (16)We've got a 1920s Chicago bungalow. We've found lots of odd stuff. Maybe not treasure, but... We found an old 1950s metal horse . He's a stallion - which I find humorous as I think he was a child's toy. He's wearing a western saddle and bridle. About a foot high and long. Weighs quite a bit. Also up in the attic is an old 48 star flag. The previous owner was a WWII vet. The flag has seen better days. We're not sure what to do with it. Great for us but not very "exciting" is the quarter round trim we found up there. The front three rooms (family room, dining room, bedroom) had all been carpeted. We spent weeks pulling up old carpet and padding and then had the floors refinished to the original golden oak color. The POs had taken the time to pull up the quarter round at the bottom of the trim. Rather than throw it away they stuck it in the attic. They even bundled it by room, all neatly labeled. Gotta love POs like that! Nothing was cleaned out of the garage. Tons of old heavy gardening tools, shovels and rakes generally. The rafters of the garage are filled with scrap wood. We've been pulling it down bit by bit. Some of it is old 2x4s. The true 2" x 4" kind. We're hanging on to those as we hope to do some remodeling at some point and they might come in handy. Found an old (1950s?) kids sled up there. We also had a mystery box. Finally pulled it down earlier this spring. Ended up, it was filled with potato sacks. ?? I've kept them as some have really cool graphics on them. I'm guessing their 1940s or 50s. I need to find a way to clean them up a bit though. Also found a cool piece of a glass window with the word LUNCH engraved in it. It's quite big and heavy, must have come from a restaurant (maybe that explains the potato sacks?) It's broken on either end. I'd like to take a stained glass class to see if I can fix it up. It would look really cool hanging in the kitchen....See MoreHave you read...
Comments (23)The mini-libraries are a nifty idea, some are delightfully quaint and imaginative. I'm glad that some poor, forlorn books have a chance of getting a good home. Gee, I sound like books are sentient. Well, I like to think they are! Vee, whenever you get the chance; I'm in no hurry. I fully understand the disruptions of decorators. I've mentioned that I lease my house for two-, four-, or six-months, fully furnished (but not with my best stuff). Every time I come home, I have to call in cleaners and decorators. It's not that my tenants are pigs (most aren't, anyway), but the normal wear-and-tear of living in a place can create quite a mess. It's amazing what people do to couches, for example, and I fully expect to replace rugs after every tenancy. I learned the hard way that leaving hardwood floors exposed is just asking for trouble. It's better just to cover them with cheap room-size rugs that can be tossed. I've probably described my library several times, a purpose-built room (actually an enclosed atrium with clerestory windows), with bookshelves along three walls and several lower, free-standing bookcases that serve as room dividers. I leave most of the shelves stocked with books that I don't mind losing, in case tenants would like to carry some off with them. The empty places on the shelves have artfully placed gewgaws (when I'm home there are no empty places, because books fill 'em all). The fourth wall of the room is glass windows and doors leading onto the lanai. It's a beautiful room, I think, but I was told by a tenant that as beautiful as it is, it was quite useless for her family! Another tenant left behind some very strange hooks that had been bolted through the upright boards of the shelving unit on one wall. I puzzled over them and had them removed and had the holes they left filled in. My DH figured out what they were used for: hanging a big screen television. The thing covered at least eight shelves of books. These are the same tenants who I suspect never opened a book, but they evidently liked a couple of the gewgaws enough to lift them. Vee, I still love Period Piece. One of the most amusing parts to me was the description of the Darwins not caring about music (several were apparently tone deaf) and they didn't know what to make of their cousin (I think he was) Ralph Vaughan Williams. Timallan, I was intrigued with The Man Who Loved Children because Christina Stead was Australian, or an English migrant to Australia, yet she chose to write about an American family. That was back in the 1930s, and the book was rejected by several publishers and then when it was finally published (in 1940?), it was pretty much panned by critics and readers alike. Yet some time in the late 1960s or early '70s, The Man Who Loved Children was rediscovered and hailed as a 'masterpiece'. Well maybe it is, but I've never known anyone who remembers reading it, except for whoever recommended it here at RP. It's......See MoreWhat are you reading in 2017?
Comments (65)I just finished The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver and it was one of the best books I've read in a long time. I adore her writing style; she has such a gift of language and imagery, along with stunning metaphor. Love, love, love her! Even though she started writing it in the early 2000's and finished in 2009, I think, a lot of the story could have been inspired by today's political scene. The book takes place from the times of the Bolshevik Revolution through the McCarthy era, from Mexico to Asheville NC, with historical references to Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo and Trotsky when he was in exile in Mexico. Fascinating historical fiction.I learned a great deal about those times and places, cultural and historical, which haven't ever really interested me too much. I can't recommend it more highly if you love beautiful writing....See MoreApril is the cruelest month...what are you reading?
Comments (141)I finished Plainsong (Haruf) yesterday. It was just as I had hoped. I loved it. I thought that I had a copy of Evensong, which is a continuation of some of the same characters but a cursory look around hasn't produced it. Available at the Library though, which I'll get soon because it's an older book and the new Library Director is a mad culler. Grab it now before it disappears - just like a flea market. (many classics have met this fate too, much to my chagrin) Speaking of elephants, I'm trying to track down The Eye of the Elephant by Mark and Delia Owens. An older book that I'll try to get via interlibrary loan....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

REMODELING GUIDESOne Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: A Paean to the 1950s and '60s in Pennsylvania
With vintage furniture, a sunken den and pristine original details, this home is a true homage to midcentury style
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Eclectic Treasures Find a Home in a 1910 Victorian
Secondhand furnishings add spirit and soul to a century-old New Jersey house
Full Story
FUN HOUZZDoes Your Home Have a Hidden Message?
If you have ever left or found a message during a construction project, we want to see it!
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNOpen vs. Closed Kitchens — Which Style Works Best for You?
Get the kitchen layout that's right for you with this advice from 3 experts
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Collectibles and Color in a 1930s Cottage
An Arkansas couple downsize and work with a designer to create eclectic style using beloved antiques and heirlooms
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESThe Hidden Problems in Old Houses
Before snatching up an old home, get to know what you’re in for by understanding the potential horrors that lurk below the surface
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: 1950s Rebound for a Cliff May House
Loving restoration brings a midcentury gem back to life and its owners to the kind of life they love
Full Story
VACATION HOMESHouzz Tour: 1950s Maine Nostalgia Guides Tiny Cottage’s Design
A designer taps into her memories to give her clients the vintage coastal-cottage look they yearn for
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN12 Great Kitchen Styles — Which One’s for You?
Sometimes you can be surprised by the kitchen style that really calls to you. The proof is in the pictures
Full Story
sheri_z6