What are you reading in August?
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (91)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
August: What Are You Reading
Comments (79)Ha! Indeed. I got the Rue Morgue reprint from Betterworld Books but as it had a lot of typos, the original Dell publication might have been a better choice. I think it was set in prewar times as the heroine had travelled from the US but although I first came to Australia in 1960, so many things were the same. The older men preferred their women to be ladies who neither drank much or swore but smoking was all right! Fortunately I didn't go by train across the continent until the track was standard and so I went on the Indian-Pacific with no changes or dead bodies en route!...See MoreWhat are we reading? August 2020 edition
Comments (188)I just finished The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett, I enjoyed it. I finished All The Way To The Tigers by Mary Morris today, it was a great glimpse into India and a woman's quest to see tigers in their natural habitat after a debilitating accident. A friend recommended Scythe by Neal Shusterman that was ok, I am not really into science fiction. I also listened twice to the audible book Thicker Than Water by Tyler Schultz the whistleblower of the Theranos scandal. It was fabulous. I am now reading Pico Iyer's, The Lady and The Monk. Has anyone here read Pico Iyer? He is an amazing writer, poetic in a realistic relatable way. I am enjoying seeing Kyoto through his descriptions. This has been been my August reading. I also started The Island of The Sea of Women by Lisa See. I put it down halfway through, not for me. Lisa See is one of my favorite authors, but I did not enjoy this book....See MoreAs the pandemic marches on, what are you reading in August 2020?
Comments (91)Astrokath, I have never read a Cormac McCarthy book that I've enjoyed. That one sounds a bit different than his usual fare but, I bet it doesn't have a happy ending. I was about to pick up where I left off in my Hungarian bank robber book when the library informed me that another ebook I had reserved months ago was available, The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen. It's an entertaining fantasy novel. My book club has chosen Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth Letts for next month's discussion....See MoreWhat are you reading? August 2024 Edition
Comments (58)I havent kept up with this thread so not sure if any of these have been mentioned in recent months. I have had a pretty eh reading year with mostly 3-star books and DNFs ... but things have turned around this month so i thought I'd share my 4-star reads and two potential 5-star books*! * I am fairly stingy with 5-star ratings. For me to rate a book 5 stars, it needs to not only be well written and engaging but it needs to change me in some way ... it may just stick with me for a long time or it may change my thinking, perspective or reading tastes. The God in the Woods - Liz Moore's recent release. This is very different than her other books but I liked it.. it is a slow, multilayered mystery set in a summer camp in the 70s. It is dark and slow paced ... I could have enjoyed a slightly faster pace but this kind of story needs to unfold slowly.. it isnt going to be a "page turner' pace. FWIW most of my reader friends liked this-- some more than me-- but also, a few DNF'd it as "boring and slow". 4 stars and definitely a good book for a book club imo. The Hunter - Tana French's sequel to The Searcher (which I recommend reading first) is also a slow-paced dark mystery set in the same irish town and with many of the same characters as The Searcher. I gave them both 4 stars but I much preferred The Hunter .. Tana French continues the development of the main characters -- as well as the interpersonal dynamics of the characters and of the small irish community. I highly recommend this to all who love Tana French but do note that is is much darker and more emotionally complex than the Dublin Murder Squad series! 4.25 stars and an excellent sequel to The Searcher! James by Percival Everett ... I have been eager to get to this and finally started it last night. I am not very far but already I am loving it. Perhaps premature but it feels like a 5-star contender! It is clever and beautifully written and I can't wait to get back to it later today! I would think this would be an excellent book club option. The Backyard Bird Chronicles by Amy Tan - is a series of journal entries and sketches that chronicle Amy Tan's escape, self healing and evolution with her life changing experience with bird watching and nature journaling. I will be reading this slowly but I have paged through the sketches and am so very enamored with it. I have purchased special editions for 3 family members and my bff. I expect this to be a book I cherish!...See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESCalifornia Gardener's August Checklist
Share the veggie wealth, help plants sip smartly and don't forget to enjoy the simple pleasure of relaxing in your garden
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESPacific Northwest Gardener's August Checklist
Deadheading perennials, cutting raspberry canes and preparing for the onion harvest keeps Northwest gardeners busy in August
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESTexas Gardener's August Garden Checklist
Here's how to help your garden thrive from the hot, dry month of August through fall
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESNative Wildflowers for the August Transition Into Fall
Keep the garden colorful with these stalwart perennials
Full Story
To-Dos: Your August Home Checklist
Make your home safe and secure and start getting organized for fall
Full Story
CALIFORNIA GARDENINGCalifornia Gardener's August Checklist
Pick up some great ideas from these travel-inspired plantings, even if your vacation is in your own backyard
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
EVENTSDon't Throw Away Another Household Item Before Reading This
Repair Cafe events around the world enlist savvy volunteers to fix broken lamps, bicycles, electronics, small appliances, clothing and more
Full Story
vee_new