is it getting worse, or am I imagining things

bragu_DSM 5

You go to the store; some shelves with essentials - flour, sugar, TP, bleach etc - are nearly empty.

You grab some TP ...

All eyes are suddenly upon you.

Do they really need that?

Brrrrrr

SaveComment96Like
Comments (96)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate z9

Panic always does strange things to people; and I think we will continue to have the 'panic' as long as the news media feeds it with endless reporting.

I was in the local drug store picking up a prescription. While waiting I roamed the store and happened upon a woman restocking shelves with Lysol antiseptic wipes. I took a package and went off to pick up the prescription. 10 minutes max I was at the counter and when I looked back where the wipes had been every container was gone. This was at 8:00 at night and there couldn't have been even 10 people in the store. So, who took all the other 23 double-packages of the wipes???

Totally rediiculous.

However, I do have lots of jigsaw puzzles I can do while hiding in my house with all my wipes and toilet paper.

3 Likes Save    
chloebud

"...and I think we will continue to have the 'panic' as long as the news media feeds it with endless reporting."

Agree!

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I bought TP today and was glad to find some in another town. The store I was in had a big supply and I bought a lot of other things too. No reaction. Seemed like life as normal.

What IS the new normal? I am confused.

Save    
chloebud

This morning on our news they mentioned some stores aren't accepting cash...only credit cards.

Save    
Elizabeth

I couldn't agree more about the TV coverage! Not watching it.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

Because cash is "germy"? Well, it always has been. And there are traces of cocaine on every $100 bill in this country. And I don't even want to think where some of the singles have been.

2 Likes Save    
chas045

CA Kate & chloebud: this really isn't a regular flu and there is no vaccine and no real guarantee of one early next year; it seems to be 10-20 times more contagious and (with the exception of children) more lethal including surprising numbers of deaths of healthy and young.

CA Kate again: perhaps an earlier person looking at the wipes because they might be getting a cold, gently coughed or touched several packs as they chose one, leaving a little something for you that you carried to the pharmacy counter and home where it has been spread all over, potentially spreading it among the later pharmacy patrons and the many guests visiting one of your beautiful lunches.

I still remember (and am surprised not to find a link) the scene from the 1950's movie Our Mr. Sun, where a nuclear fission Chain Reaction was demonstrated with a room full of special mouse traps all loaded with two ping pong balls per trap. An extra ball was then tossed in hitting one trap that released two balls that hit other traps and in a few seconds the room exploded. The analogy here would be with more than two balls.

2 Likes Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

"CA Kate z9

Panic always does strange things to people; and I think we will continue to have the 'panic' as long as the news media feeds it with endless reporting.---"

Politics! politics!---and irresponsible media reporting! The hell with public's health and well being. 2020 election year changes everything.

Remember? Was there panic like today?

"2009, H1N1 -----According to a CDC estimate, there were more than 60 million swine flu cases reported in the U.S. between April 2009 — when the disease was first detected in California — and April 2010, with more than 12,000 people dying.----"

dcarch

1 Like Save    
tigereye

NO, the lemmings are out in full force. They have never in their life cleaned their house, so they have no cleaning supplies. They only used leaves in their outdoor bathroom, so they have no toilet paper. They have never cooked, so they have no food, who knows what they will do with raw food, but you can only hope.

1 Like Save    
chloebud

"Because cash is "germy"? Well, it always has been."

Yes, money's been germy/dirty forever. It seems more of a concern now with money and so much else.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Can someone please explain the stockpiling or even hoarding of multiple cases of toilet paper?? And paper towels? I just cannot understand why the need to clear the shelves of all paper products. Do they think trees will stop growing? Having a couple of weeks worth of supplies on hand is not out of line but really....do you really need to have a 6 month supply?? For what possible reason?

Save    
tigereye

Because they are idiots. You can't talk or reason with idiots. They are now hoarding chicken and ground beef. in North Alabama. You will never be able to buy a chicken or hamburger again. The poor butcher in my Publix said he was cutting every piece of beef he had today. He had already put out every package of any kind of ground in the store. He had tripled his order for tomorrow?????

Save    
tigereye

"We have met the enemy and it is us."

3 Likes Save    
plllog

The number of confirmed cases here is 4 per million population. The precautions are warranted based on how cases have multiplied elsewhere, but panic is absolutely not necessary.

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Thankfully, it hasn't gotten that bad here......yet. There still seems to be plenty of food on the shelves and in the cold cases. It is just the cleaning products and paper goods that have been wiped out. And I live in a higher than median income area - a lot higher - and in area with exceptional school systems. People here are not exactly dumb and most are very well educated. Hence, my confusion at this apparent lack of any reason!

I am blaming Facebook for most of this :-) And the idiot that lives in the White House.

7 Likes Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Whoever is in the White House can't fix herd stupidity. I don't quite get it, maybe this goes back to the Civil War aftermath, but I have never seen the hoarding like they do in northern Alabama. One flake of snow and bam! no milk or bread to be found. Rolling eyes here. Didn't happen in Ohio even when blizzards were forecast.

What I'm seeing is the people who crammed their vehicles with T.P. are now selling it for exorbitant prices on ebay. Grrr.

Save    
plllog

I've been thinking about this all day. I get the TP because a lot of poor people buy just enough usually, since they don't usually have the extra $20 to put a goodly supply in the pantry,. I had neighbors like that when I was in college. Family of 7 and sometimes ran out of TP. That's all healthy, and out working or at school much of the day. They bought a certain amount every week and when it was gone it was gone. With a potential 2 week quarantine, and possible development of an illness that will keep them housebound longer, buying a month's worth, at the sacrifice of other usual budget items might make sense to them. It's not like it'll rot if it's not use up right away.

Paper towels. A lot of people, especially working class and poor, don't have their own laundry facilities. If they're quarantined, how will they wash towels? I've done it in a bucket, but that's without contagion to worry about. There are a lot of recommendations to use paper towels for handwashing at home, as well as out, because touching a used, damp towel can spread contagion and nullify the washing. We have extra old towels, extra wash cloths, "cloth paper towels" (small cloths for kitchen use), a good washing machine and dryer in the house. I also have a lot of paper towels, because I bought a big bundle not so long ago, but if we were using them for hand drying, they'd probably be gone soon. I haven't instituted new towel per hands washed yet, but I can do so if needed. Some folks can't.

Water. What's with the water hoarding? That's more cultural...or not. I know it's happening all over the country, with different cultural underpinnings, but having a potable water stash is prime on the earthquake preparedness list. The water system can break and the water can be fouled in a quake. No one has said that the current virus is waterborne, and the local water supply is fine to drink as it stands. One can always boil it. And that's why a lot of the people here, who originally came from places where only bottled water is potable unless boiled, are in the habit of buying bottled water here, even though the water people work really hard to make sure the tap water is clean. Some bottled water is just filtered tap water, but they're used to water coming from bottles, so they buy it, rather than buying a filter. They would stock up on water to prepare for a quarantine.

Where I live, 20 years ago, the tap water was so foul tasting I wouldn't cook with it. By the time the RO system that came with the house needed a really expensive part, the water had improved so much I'm even willing to bake with it, and it would be fine to drink. I prefer spring water, which I have delivered, because it tastes positively good, rather than just fine, and that keeps me drinking clear water. Again, luxury. The water in other areas may taste as bad as it used to here. Some people might have bad pipes that take the good water that's coming through the mains and spit it out full of lead, rust and who knows what else. Their taps may actually not deliver good water, so they want to stock up.

Rice is also a big thing that's off the shelves here, but that makes sense. We have so many people who have a rice based diet, and most of the rice comes from Asia. If they don't allow the ships to come from Asia, there will be a real rice shortage. California rice has arsenic from the soil, and shouldn't be eaten in the kind of quantities that these folks eat rice.

Packaged food. Reasonable. Many people, especially the poor, don't have real kitchens. Some live in SRO's and motels. Some have a fridge and stove, but neither work very well. Some just are out working all day and only go home to sleep (some rich people do that too). They don't eat much at home, and their food stores can fit in a tote container. Preparing for a 2 week quarantine means preparing to be able to feed themselves during that time. If they're poor already, they're not going to be ordering in from GrubHub.

I count my blessings. And I'm lucky enough to have coincidentally stocked up on a lot of what other people are looking for before this started.

4 Likes Save    
Olychick

Interesting that they are preferring plastic credit cards over cash because they have now (initially) determined that the virus can live on plastic for 4 days. Less time for living on cardboard, but nothing specific about paper cash. Seems like neither cash nor credit cards will be sterile. And here, all the credit card readers seem to require you to either sign with your fingertip (like the 200 people ahead of you) or use stylus - also used by hundreds before you.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

It's absolutely asinine!

I went to Costco Wed to buy kitty litter, coffee filters and look at the yoga pants. Just for kicks and giggles I checked the toilet paper supply. OUT.

I had to return the pants and I went on Thurs to get it over with. The word obviously got out that TP was back in stock. People had 4 and 5 pkg in their carts. If they need a 6 month supply of tp they have a helluva lot worse health issues than any virus!

It just makes me angry. People are saying on FB that they needed to do their regular shopping today, payday and nothing to be had.

And we only have a few cases in Canada, but the panic is nothing but damned Greed, and hoarding.

One girl mentioned not being able to buy toilet paper and I offered to give her some (I don't over-stock it, but I always have plenty!!). She thought that was amazing, but her mom was able to get some for her.

1 Like Save    
CA Kate z9

I think you have just explained why a very elderly lady bought every 1 pound package of hamberger. A man asked if he could have just one and she said "NO!!!!!!" Maybe she was making Sloppy Joes for a big party.... but I wouldn't bet on it.

I understand that this is no ordinary virus and that different precautions need to be taken.... but not really. I am elderly and haven't wanted to get the flu, so have always gotten my annual flu shot and always wash my hands, wash my hands, wash my hands. I have used sanitizing wipes on gracery cart handles before anybody else did and realized how horribly filty they were/are. I even wipe off the restaurant table where I'm sitting.... the towelette is rarely white when I'm done. As I was getting money out of the ATM the other day it did occur to me how dirty those bills were/are. Which is why I wash my hands........

I think it is prudent to be cautious, but not go nuts.

pillog: perhaps they are buying for all the members of their families too and intend to pass out the toilette paper and wipes..... but I wouldn't bet on it.

Save    
plllog

Kate, it's possible. There was also a report on the news where a shrink being interviewed said that people just seeing the lines feel compelled to join in. Monkey see, monkey do? Lemmings or sheep? FOMO? Mob mentality? At least the reports of the sheriffs being called to Costco were about people cutting in line rather than any worse behavior.

Re the credit cards, at a lot of places here, you don't need to touch the machine. The floor for requiring a signature is way higher than it used to be. Usually, you can just put the chip in, and when it beeps you're done. I suppose the virus could brush off inside the machine and hitch a ride out on the next card, but I'd think touching stuff at the store would be a far more likely means of transfer. Keeping cash for emergencies and using plastic as one can for regular purchases has some merit. This isn't an earthquake, so one doesn't have to worry about the electricity, but do you want to touch a cash machine? What if the bank decides to close? I'd think a teller station wouldn't be so hard to make social space around, but some newer banks don't even have those. It's all confusing.

Save    
CA Kate z9

I think I'll just stay home and bake an Apple Pi. ;-)

3 Likes Save    
Lars

I read somewhere (not FB, which I rarely visit) that some people think that everyone who works in the power plants is going to die, and then there would be no electricity to run the water pumps. Some how this meant that they needed TP, but also especially water.

We went to Cardenas in Cathedral City this morning, and people were filling their carts with bottled water. We will do fine with our filtered water, and we have plenty of extra filters - they came with the house. We also have an 11,000 gallon swimming pool, and so that can be a source of water in an emergency, especially for washing. It can be boiled for drinking as well. In L.A. we have a hot tub that has extra water in addition to our earthquake supply for drinking.

At some point we will need to buy more TP, and I am thinking we may need to go to Rancho Mirage or Palm Desert, where I think people may be less panicked than in Cathedral City. We were going to be here for only four days (for Kevin's birthday), but Sony has told people to work from home, if possible, and so we will stay here the entire week, since Kevin can work from here as easily as from our house in Westchester.

1 Like Save    
Compumom11

Happy Birthday to Kevin! Enjoy your time in the desert too.

I'm trying to use Apple Pay as much as possible rather than a credit card directly. That way I don't touch anything but my phone and I'm wiping that down with regularity. Yesterday I visited Smart & Final, 2 whole foods and Sprouts. It was at Sprouts that I found the cassava tortillas that I was searching for at WF. I stocked my freezer and pantry, buying 2 or 3 of some staples, but otherwise was sensible. I'm one who tries to buy a big pack of TP and paper towels when I'm at Costco, so I'm covered in that area. Really Kleenex is more important for a respiratory infection, besides it can be used for TP if necessary. It's just the two of us normally, however if DS and his gal run out of food etc, I know they'll be hitting us up to resupply! Stay well!

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I actually have 2 of those emergency water filters. If we have to we can catch rain water and filter it for drinking water. Of course I hope it doesn't come to that. Worse case we will take bottles to my son's house, they have well water. We have a Britta Pitcher with extra filters. I have close to 50 pounds of flour I bought just recently when KAF had a sale + free shipping. I was going to share it with my DIL but she's an ER nurse so they've increased her shifts - and she has 2 toddlers to chase after. And now I'm sicker than the proverbial dog ... Turns out my thyroid has decided to shut down and the doctor says it will take at least 2 weeks for thyroid medicine to start making a noticeable difference :-(

Save    
plllog

There was a blue sky break in the rain, which had been pouring, so I grabbed a slice of cheese for "breakfast" and skedaddled to Trader Joe's. For groceries, mind you. It's close and small and has good salad stuff, which is what we needed most. The parking lot was pretty full but not crazy the way TJ's often is. But it had just been pouring.

They were monitoring the doors, letting people out and when enough had gone in, letting in another batch. I'd guess there were a couple dozen in line by the time we went in. At the door in a staff member was handing everyone a wipe. They have always had a wipe station for people to clean the cart handles with, but by handing everyone a wipe, they can both ration them, and make sure that everyone can clean their hands. Smart. A few shoppers were wearing masks and one had on nitrile gloves. My guess is that she had reason to be super careful. The batch entry system seemed to be working well for social distancing, both for the workers and the customers, but most of the people in line clumped. No one was coughing or sneezing.

The shelves looked a little soviet in the produce department, but there was still plenty of food. No bananas, and I got the last extra pulp orange juice. Green beans, but only conventional not organic. Plenty of organic asparagus, however. No ground beef, but plenty of steaks, shaved and stew. Plenty of chicken, though maybe not all the kinds they usually have. No pre-cooked bacon, but plenty of regular bacon and sausages. Plenty of cooked packaged gyors meat. Plenty of the premade meals they're known for, though a few gaps on the shelves. Plenty of premade salads. Plenty of OJ, milk and eggs, though some holes, especially in the OJ. I got sour cream. Plenty of that, yoghurt, etc. I bought eggs, and found some hiding when I got home. No harm. There were plenty of eggs.

There was very little bread, and only one kind. I can make my own bread so didn't take any. I notice walking by that there was a lone bag of pasta. I can make my own pasta. And cookies, cakes, pies, etc. I don't have 50# of flour, but probably half that one way or another, and lots of whole grains and legumes, which I'm not supposed to eat, but I can if needed, and the rest of the family can. I didn't specifically notice rice, but I doubt they had any because that's been on the hoarders list for over a week.

A lot of canned goods, including all the beans except diet refritos were gone. There were still the kind you cook with, like diced chili peppers, but not the kind you eat. While I was mostly buying fresh food including hermetically sealed meat (should be good for a couple of weeks rather than a few days), but most TJ's customers are looking for a lot of already made foods. I did buy a few frozen soups because I haven't yet gotten my soup freezing project going, and I got an extra bag of potato chips. It's true. I'm not sure it's hoarding, however. They had lots of chips of all kinds and their Ode to the Classic Potato Chip are the real deal and if we're going to be staying in so much, I thought a backup bag might be useful.

I don't know if they sell paper towels. There were some lunch napkins that are like soft paper towels. I don't think there was TP, but there was plenty of spring water. I saw a woman leaving with two cases, but that could have been her normal shopping. People here still wander around with water bottles.

I feel like I got more food than usual, but it took up less bag space. No bakery or fruit, because of what they didn't have and what I already have (except bananas!). Other than the extra chips, however (a bag usually lasts a couple of weeks), it was really just food for staying home all week. I think that's how most people were shopping. Few had full carts. TJ's isn't a full cart kind of place. No hoarding. Just way more people buying food to have at home and hunker down than usual.

Save    
Fun2BHere

This was my Trader Joe's today. No produce, no cheese, no meat, no bread, no salsa (weird, right? Because who hoards salsa?). They did have individual rolls of toilet paper and boxes of facial tissue.

1 Like Save    
bbstx

This afternoon, I put in an order for grocery pickup. The soonest I could get a time slot was Monday at 1 p.m. During the time that I was placing my order, available slots went from 4 p.m on Sunday to 1 p.m. on Monday. I’m going to be curious to see how much of my order I actually receive.

For dinner tonight we had filets. DH bought them at a local meat market because we are trying to help the local merchants. I cooked them sous vide and they were DELICIOUS!!

@Fun2BHere, if DH thought about it, *he* would hoard salsa. A day without salsa is a day without sunshine, if you ask him!

I haven’t been inside a grocery store in months. I either pick up or have delivered, so I can’t comment on what the stores look like. My sister placed an order with Walmart for pickup. She placed the order on Wednesday for pick up on Friday after her hairdresser appointment. Friday morning they called her and said her order was canceled. The woman she talked to said they had 4000 orders to fill and not enough folks to fill them. Sister lives in a very small town. She was flabbergasted.

DH and I went out to lunch yesterday, again trying to support local merchants. The couple we went with had no sanitizing wipes and no hand-sanitizer and had never had any. It is something they just do not buy. I didn’t know there were such people!

1 Like Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

I think I know this year's Halloween's most popular decoration will be:

dcarch

3 Likes Save    
bbstx

I had a friend who took a beautifully wrapped roll of TP to a dinner party tonight as a hostess gift! As we say in the south “she ain’t right!” HA!

5 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Skipped down to say I was grocery shopping today and nobody seemed panicked - just intent on shopping. A lot of things were sold out, others not. Definitely no paper towels, napkins, toilet paper anywhere I went. I did as we have been advised by health authorities, and made sure our family has enough stuff for at least 2 weeks, in case we cannot go out to get it.

Save    
Olychick

bbstx, I did the same thing...usually take a nice bottle of wine to these hosts, but the wine store was closed and couldn't face trying to choose something at the grocery store on a Saturday with all the madness out there. I had already purchased a 6 pack of Apocalypse beer to take because I thought the name so appropriate. So I used a wine gift bag and put 2 rolls of toilet paper in it and stuffed green tissue paper in the top (it was a St Patrick's Day party) and presented it as the hostess gift. Very well received for the humor; they didn't need it. They sent me home with a box of Kleenex, lol.

3 Likes Save    
plllog

Lars, I wonder if the power plant thing comes from some kind of post-apocalyptic comic book?

Fun2BHere, that's scary!

1 Like Save    
maggie200

I live in Virginia. My greatest concern is Kitty litter. I buy food for the month and have it delivered. I am good for now. I missed the hoarding by a day. Got TP and paper towels easily and a ton of other stuff. 1 person died of the virus and all Virginia schools are closed.

Save    
annie1992

Happy birthday to Kevin, Lars!

Annie

1 Like Save    
Lars

I'll give Kevin the birthday wishes - thanks! Otherwise, it might be a somewhat grim birthday for him, but he's happy to be here in Cathedral City and also to be able to stay here longer and work from our house here. We went to an antique shop in Palm Springs Uptown District, and Kevin bought himself a birthday present, which was a Swiss watch - not an antique, but very different from what I've seen. I'll have to find out the brand.

Yesterday at Cardenas, they were completely out of all bulk dried beans, but fortunately I had already stocked up on those, as well as rice.

On CBS Face The Nation today, they were telling people not to have dinner parties and recommended not going to restaurants. I think we may still go to a restaurant tomorrow evening on Kevin's birthday. We stopped at a restaurant in downtown Riverside (on University Ave) on our way out here Friday evening, and I was surprised at how many interesting options there were in Riverside. I think we will want to go back to try more of them. They had several Japanese and Vietnamese places that looked interesting. We also want to go back to downtown Redlands on one of our trips. We might be coming back in a couple of weeks, if Kevin will still be working remotely.

1 Like Save    
plllog

On the local news, they suggested getting takeout, but patronizing local restaurants to help them out. At a place with a good health code rating, they're used to the precautions for not spreading disease. There are still the concerns about what you're touching and who doesn't know they're sick, but we can't just hide. It's inevitable that almost everybody will get this at some level or other. People staying in their own areas is as important as staying home, so that clusters don't spread. I just worry about Kevin since his health issues. Perhaps he should do a little more to avoid exposure as long as possible. Happy Birthday to him, and I hope you can find a way to make it fun for him.

Save    
Lars

Kevin is going to be working remotely as much as possible, but he does have a doctor's appointment next week in Beverly Hills that he needs to keep. I do not have any appointments until April 22 in Santa Monica with my dermatologist, who will be checking me for additional melanoma. I think that will be reasonably safe.

Stater Brothers and Gelson's have both reduced their hours in order to be able to restock shelves and disinfect the stores, which I think is a good idea. We will be shopping at Stater Brothers while here, as it is close, although not as close as Cardenas, but that store is a zoo. They had a large supply of salsa (which they make in house), and it was even marked down. They also had a large supply of the guacamole that they make in house, which is much better than any other store guacamole I've had. They were low on tamales (also made in house), but that is always the case if you do not get there early.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

We have a retired military veteran down the street who was training out of town for the census ... lo and behold a volunteer nurse who had been working in France was there. She tested positive. Now my veteran friend is confined at home til the end of the month. Not presenting symptoms so far ...

Save    
annie1992

I'll keep positive thoughts for your veteran friend, I think many of us are going to be exposed eventually, but hopefully it will be fast and mild.

Annie

3 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
bragu_DSM 5

Public schools ordered closed here [Iowa] for next 4 weeks.

I doubt they will reopen this spring.

I'd rather over-react than under react.

no gatherings of 50 or more. Bet that changes in next 3-4 days.

best to all out there.

9 months from now, we'll welcome the corona generation.

4 Likes Save    
Compumom11

Los Angeles Mayor Garcetti just announced no restaurant dining, only take out and delivery, no movies, gyms, bowling or arcades until March 31st or later. Our governor has ordered seniors to stay home.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Yes, it is getting much worse. We will be hibernating starting Wednesday. No grocery shopping or anywhere people gather. Last delivery service Friday. No needs beyond this week. Well stocked. Nothing we would not normally use up over time.

We are north of the city in the forest.

Folding table outside for sanitizing the last of the packages and mail. Hopefully it is enough to keep this nasty virus out of the home.

DH is quite sloppy about sanitizing so fingers crossed.

Save    
agmss15

I went out on Saturday evening to get some groceries for me and TP, tissues and depends for my mom with a bad cold. This is in part somewhat in vain attempt to keep her home for a bit.

Holy Moley!!! Huge swathes of the grocery store were empty. Paper products, pasta, beans, cleaners, laundry detergent, baby stuff..... I ended up with my groceries with some slightly eccentric selections but no TP or tissues.

Then I ventured off to Walgreens where luckily I found tissue but still no TP. It was about 9 pm. There is a super gregarious fellow who works at Walgreens who informed me that Walmart had gotten there order of TP in 45 minutes earlier. He had chatted with a guy who had just bought $300 worth of TP. He also said Walgreens had banned a woman who was going from store to store buying out TP and Purell.

Off to Walmart where I ran into a young painter looking for disposable gloves. No dice. Although he was happy to find a flowery pair of reusable gloves. I was able to grab a 6 pack of TP.

My sister pointed to me that if people have to drive to three towns looking for diapers or TP they are using up their entire gas budget. This is a poorer and older state.

We only have a few confirmed cases in Maine right now. The Maine CDC seems to be doing a good job.

Schools are shutting down. Lots of people struggling to set up at home schooling and childcare if their work isn’t closing. Plus many children are dependent on school for meals.

My mom is a painter who just hung a big show in Portland. The opening and other events are cancelled. Another artist just had a retrospective cancelled or put off.

Interesting times. Meanwhile today I am going to figure out an alternative to bread crumbs for meatloaf and make my odd shaped pasta. Counting my blessings...

Save    
desertsteph

try cracker crumbs instead of the breadcrumbs. I always use saltines but have heard that ritz make a very good meatloaf too.

one of my stores (other than W) was finally wiped out yesterday. wow. whole aisles of shelves almost totally empty. there probably weren't 20 cans of soup left. and not campbell's. I was able to get a much larger can of foodclub cream of mushroom soup. never tried that brand before and didn't need that much but will try it and freeze what I don't use in smaller amounts. no cinnamon rolls left - not much in the bakery area, but I did get 4 donuts. baking supplies, canned goods, bread goods and paper products - all gone. I didn't check the meat counters or frozen section. my guess is they were depleted too.

I won't need to get paper products until maybe next week, but if I'm in a store and see them available I'll buy them then in case things go from bad to worse. the store did have signs on the doors limiting a few things and one was paper products. they limited TP to 5 pkgs per customer.

Save    
Fun2BHere

Happy Birthday to Kevin, Lars. Sorry my good wishes are belated.

I went out to refuel the car today and thought I would stop by Trader Joe's to pick up items I was unable to get from the empty shelves on Saturday. There was a line of shoppers all the way around the building waiting to enter! So, that was a no go. Aha, I thought, I'll go to Gelson's. They are ridiculously overpriced but I have some coupons and surely they will have a better selection. I didn't take a picture, but there was no fresh produce except a few bags of mandarin oranges. All of the frozen vegetables were gone, too, except for one bag of broccoli and some small packets of riced cauliflower.

I keep reading that there's no shortage of food at this time, so are people really overbuying this much fresh produce? I guess I can understand some items because you can freeze them, but you can't freeze lettuce, so how much is going to rot in people's refrigerators?

1 Like Save    
John Liu

We pretty much have everything we need. Didn’t really need to buy more food, but did lay in a couple more pounds of coffee. Enough TP and the bidet that SWMBO made me install is looking pretty prescient. Lots of sanitizing stuff and other Covid-19 supplies of course.

The thing is, we’re not really “sheltering” at home. SWMBO is taking care of a friend who just had a knee replacement, now in the hospital but will be staying at the friends house this week. I’m still going to work - of course, I work by myself, so that’s a “safe” zone. I’m trying to get this ”Laurelhurst Neighbor To Neighbor” (LN2N) support group (my working name was “Adopt A Granny” by that was unpopular) off the ground. DS is home for spring break and at least the first month of spring term, though he’s not going out much as his friends are not around - one is self isolating (probably a cold but you never know), another couldn’t get back from Belgium before the travel ban, etc. T, a 22 y/o recent college grad, is living with us and she just went out on a date. A friend, about our age, will be staying here for Mar/Apr, she’s quite paranoid about the virus but has to work and can’t hole up in the house all day.

So, we have an exposure issue. Not sure what to do about it. We can keep the house sanitized and take precautions when out, but I don’t think we can literally stay home all the time.

Save    
foodonastump

Wow John, I think it was just a few days ago that somewhere I was reading a post of yours and thinking you sounded somewhat extreme in your caution. No longer! The risks are your choice so I won’t judge, other than to commend you for being so generous to others. Good luck my friend.

Save    
Compumom11

Fun2Bhere, which Gelson's? I was at the original Gelsons today around 10am. They were well stocked in quite a bit of produce and were putting out more. Not everything was available, but lots of greens and carrots (which I couldn't find on Friday after 5 markets), radishes, potatoes, onions, apples, grapes, a few Pixies and citrus.

Save    
CA Kate z9

Our local Market was almost stripped bare on Sunday.... except for the produce that couldn't be stored or frozen. Since that was what I was after I was happy. The only meat available was lamb. I like lamb and so picked up a couple of packages of rib chops and 2 more of ground lamb. I see Lulu Bergers in my future.

Save    
plllog

I need celery. It's not worth going looking for it...

Save    
Marilyn_Sue

I am 85 and I live alone. I do have nearby children. For many years I keep a good supply of this and that on hand. So for now at least I am prepared as I shopped ahead of time. Others did not, so they need a lot of things if they plan to stay at home and not come out again till this is over. I have no plans to go anywhere at all. My dog is taken care of too. More should have prepared for whatever might be ahead as best as they could.

Save    
Jasdip

I went to the store yesterday just to see how things were. I didn't need anything, except molasses for when I make my next batch of bran muffins.

Wow, empty shelves galore. No flour at all......is everyone really baking??? No dried or canned good nor paper products. Very little meat. I couldn't find the molasses, it wasn't in the baking section as I expected. Long lineups again.

Funny there was lots of produce! I was talking to someone afterwards and they said the price on produce was marked up......apples which are usually $2/lb were $5 each. i sincerely doubt that, but I wished I'd looked.

Darn I'm getting low on milk, so I'll head out today to a different store and see what I find.

Save    
bbstx

I did a grocery pick-up yesterday. The parking lot was packed with folks going into the store, but there was only one other car in the pick-up area. I asked the guy who delivered the groceries to my car when was the best time to shop, maybe 6 a.m.? He said the store is packed at 6 a.m. They stock from close (1 a.m.) to open (6 a.m.) and folks are trying to get stuff before it is gone.

Just out of curiosity, I checked pick-up for Walmart and the chain grocery in my little town. Walmart‘s app said “no slots available for the next 7 days” and would not let me start a grocery order. The grocery’s app said “no slots available for the next 3 days” and would not let me start an order.

1 Like Save    
plllog

The grocers say their supply chains are fine. They just can't deal with the overbuying.

Save    
Lars

I am not happy with people who have been overbuying TP. I wonder if they plan to sell some of it on the black market. I think stores should put reasonable limits on how much one person can buy at a time, especially since so many people are unable to find TP after inconsiderate people have cleaned out the shelves. I am hoping that eventually people will no longer have places to store all the excess TP they have bought.

2 Likes Save    
bbstx

Follow-up on my post above: I can go one town over (23 miles which takes maybe 25 minutes) and get pick-up slots at Walmart and the grocery for almost anytime I want.

I think I got “rationed” on milk and eggs yesterday. I ordered 2 half-gallons of milk and 2 dozen eggs. I got one of each.

The golf course we live on is really busy today! Lots of self-isolation going on. HA!

1 Like Save    
plllog

Too true, Lars! It was only a couple of weeks ago that I bought four large packages because that was the minimum to get the sale price! It is possible to do without--TP is fairly newfangled--but yuck!

So, the LAUSD has had to give up the supervision centers, but a lot of the school districts have meal pickup areas at schools. They're sack meals, mostly, but for a lot of kids, any food is good food. The hospitality union, as reported on the news, and maybe other unions, is providing resources for their members, who have mostly been put out of work, as well as providing groceries to them. These are the populations I've been most concerned about. It's encouraging. The news also showed crowded beaches in Florida. Vacationers, who presumably will go home at the end of the week to spread whatever they've encountered. Sigh.

Save    
Compumom11

Today Trader Joe's had quite a lot of food. They instituted a TWO of anything LIMIT and the cashier stuck to it. When we don't hoard, there's more for everyone! Sprouts shelves were pretty empty.

3 Likes Save    
plllog

I had to go to the pharmacy at a major national chain store (Ralph's) today and they had lots of food. There were some holes, but plenty of produce. Meat, dairy, eggs, water, TP and a couple other things were limited to two packages each. It wasn't overly busy there. Weekday normal. No depredations to the booze and chips aisle, so at least people are buying real food. :) Not much packaged bread, but lots in the bakery department, cheese snacks were mostly gone, no flour, little ketchup. That's what I saw walking by. I didn't even see the paper goods or cleaners.

I was able to buy the organic celery and bananas I wasn't able to get at TJ's on Saturday. I also got the heads of iceberg and cabbage, and a bag of mandarins. I was more anxious about the celery, which I thought I'd had but which had died, because I want it for chicken salad. I did buy mayonnaise. I'm not wasting my eggs making mayo.

They've closed Orange County, completely, except for medical workers, first responders and grocery workers. At least the government understands that people have to eat. But I worry about the food producers. The cows have to be milked, the beans have to be picked...

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

Don't worry, plllog, farmers will farm. That's what we do. Plus, being out in the field on a tractor is very "self isolating". (grin) The problem, I think, will be getting it packaged and to the market, since no one is going to work.

Annie

4 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
Fun2BHere

@Compumom11 I was at the Gelson's in Dana Point on Monday that had empty shelves. I stopped by the Trader Joe's on 17th in NPB today and was able to get a little bit of produce. As you said, they were limiting purchases to two of each item. They were out of eggs, low fat yogurt and chicken. I think I'm set for a little over a week now on fresh produce, so I probably won't try any more stores until after that time.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

I hadn't been to our grocery in a week and was surprised by what was stocked, what was gone. At first glance the whole store seemed well-stocked. The produce section was completely full... but not a potato in sight - usually several large tables full of large bags of potatoes, plus bins. Canned beans, dry beans and every bag or box of rice gone. Canned veggies gone. Specialty breads well stocked, but not one loaf of regular or whole wheat bread, and like Jasdip, I was surprised that every single bag of flour was gone except a lonely bag of whole wheat, but lots of sugar. The meat section was filled with steaks and smaller offerings of chicken breasts, but no large cuts of meat or pork and not a single whole chicken. No seafood. No TP or cleaning supplies other than laundry detergent and the eco-friendly cleaners so popular just a few weeks ago.

I was amused by what was left in the 'gone' areas... Every bottle of Dawn was gone, but other brands of dishwashing liquids were well-stocked, and every container of Hellman's mayo and the store brand which tastes like Hellman's gone, but the Miracle Whip was totally untouched. Bottled and jugs of water gone, but lots of Gatorade and Powerade, including zero sugar. Even Pedialyte was stocked. Paper plates wiped out, but styrofoam plates in abundance (I assume because they are microwavable?)

Yep, a relative had to go to FL last week, and told me the beaches were full of college aged kids, all having a blast.

DH told me yesterday that the term 'Boomer Remover' was hitting the internet. I was appalled. Reminded me of the days when HIV/Aids had a negative name attached to it. I'm as non-violent a person as one can get, but I might just smack the heck out of some millennial if I hear that coming from their mouth!

1 Like Save    
agmss15

Today although our local schools are closed the school buses went out on their routes to deliver food to kids. Plan on doing that for the next few weeks at least. From what I can tell on Facebook while they are still working out the details people are grateful and I think the kids are excited to see their buses.

1 Like Save    
CA Kate z9

agmiss, what a great idea! Here they are giving out the food , but they have to go to the school to get it.

Shame on me, but I never realized just how many kids depend on the schools not only for lunch but for breakfast too. And, I'm glad to see that the school people are stepping up to provided these badly needed meals.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Our district has a large percentage of free or reduced lunch recipients, and from the day schools closed they’ve been offering “grab and go” lunches for them.

Save    
annie1992

2many, I'll smack them after you do!

Here the school buses are also running their normal routes, delivering a lunch for today and a breakfast for tomorrow. If you aren't on the bus route you can pick that up at school, or the parent can go to the school and pick up a box that will be one week's worth of groceries. Any child under 18 or adults under 26 that are in the local school district for Special Education can pick up a lunch at the school, they don't have to be attending that school if they are under 18. The local Angels in Action will give any child under 18 a backpack containing a jar of peanut butter, one of jelly, and "nutritious snacks" like trail mix or granola bars. Manna Pantry and Feeding America are no longer allowing walk-ins, but if you call you can pick up a prepared box which will be waiting for you.

I think more and more people will be utilizing these services as time goes on, so we need to support our local food charities to enable them to be able to continue, and I intend to do just that. I let Madi and Maci pick out peanut butter and granola bars and dry cereal at the grocery store and put it into the collection bin for Angels in Action, it makes them feel they are "helping" and gives them a sense that there really is something we can do, even the children are not powerless and can help the less fortunate.

Annie

2 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Annie:

when the grandkids get their stimulus checks, you can help them shop and gift, or encourage them to buy gift cards and donate those to the local food pantry. help two groups with one purchase of a gift card. Three, if you count the warm feeling of giving/sharing...

Save    
annie1992

Thanks, Dave, that's actually a great idea. I used to take my girls when I shopped for groceries, back when there were still "double coupon" days. Anything that was BOGO or had a high coupon amount got donated to the local food pantry, so I'm happy to continue that with my grandkids.

I remember growing up really poor and sometimes being hungry because I wouldn't eat the hated cornmeal mush when there was nothing else, so thinking of the kids going without is something that really bothers me.

Annie

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

I went to WM shortly before 8 this morning, just to pick up a few cans of cat food that were on sale. Not an emergency by any means, but wanted to get some more.

There were about 10 of us outside waiting for the doors to open......all doing social distancing, several feet apart. UNTIL.......the doors opened, then everyone crowded in. LOL. A worker put yellow tape on the floor at the cashiers for the shoppers to stand at a distance.

Of course, they didn't have any Beef flavour that my cats like, so I walked out. Not a lot of stock still, and signs limiting 1 per customer, which is good.

I noticed in yesterday's flyer that prices are starting to climb. Our largest chain store is advertising a 5kg (10Lb) bag of Robin Hood flour for $7.99. That's the price I usually pay for a 10kg bag, (double!). If this is a sign of things to come, I am NOT impressed.

Save    
plllog

All pricing is supply and demand. We have anti-gouging laws in California. Maybe you can write to your relevant government members and suggest there's a need to do the same.

So many people here were already in precarious financial situations before this, getting them tended and fed is vital. Chef Nancy Silverton is giving food (I don't remember if other supplies as well) to restaurant workers who bring proof that they did have jobs in the industry. Most of the schools are giving out two sack meals daily to all kids under 18 no matter which school they were enrolled in. There's a plan to open a drive through food bank which will aslo give supplies at the L.A. county fairgrounds.

There's a lot of good happening towards coping with all this.

Save    

We need home testing. Test positive, stay home. Separate room. Family members test, all contacts test. Until tests show negative. Wishful thinking? Smart people in this world and those trying are getting shut down.

My brother with all the symptoms can't get a test. My SIL without symptoms does not know if she is positive. A possible carrier.

In NY school cafeterias are providing meals for pick-up.

NYC apartments are small, small fridge/freezers. Rarely cook. Some friends, with their neighbors, got together a few weeks ago and chipped in for small chest freezers and stocked up on TJ meals. Ahead of the rush and empty shelves. FreshDirect has been around for years for weekly delivery. Never needed it but I had a ten day delivery wait...out of eggs and some basics. With both of us home we would be fine but no eggs?. Delivered today. Out of so much but I have 2 dozen eggs now. No delivery dates available this month.

So I ordered from a restaurant wholesaler that opened up their service for home delivery. Ordered last night, coming tomorrow. DH cleaned out the old fridge meant for the garbage. 25yr old kitchen Aid. Never use it but for some garden harvest in the fall. Clean as new and works great. That puppy will be full tomorrow. Mostly root crops and bones for broth for soups. I have four meals planned for neighbors that might need it.

Why I need to be careful in sanitizing.

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Well this Boomer came 2 hairs-breadth from getting "removed." And had I been not so lucky they would have most likely cheered. I'm full of blood clots, ugh. In spite of all the resources aimed at the Covid19 virus I have been very very well taken care of. But I read today that folks with Type O blood seem to be a lot better off than those with Type A. Sigh. So I'm not only already compromised but at greater risk. And the blood clots in my lungs make me have a terrible dry cough. Once I'm released, hopefully Monday, I have to actually go into the pharmacy because I will have to sign for some of the high-powered stuff. That's not going to be fun. Hopefully nobody beats me up over it. Yikes.

And furthermore I will be on blood thinners the rest of my life. DH says I am never going to be allowed to touch my beautiful new Chef's Knife WAAH.

1 Like Save    
Sooz

$7 for a dozen eggs at a largish independent grocer here in Cali. The person who brought this to everyone's attention on another CA forum reported the store for price gouging.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

ediej- I’m sorry to hear about your medical issues but glad you weren’t removed. And encouraged to hear that you got good care despite the distractions in the medical community. My wife was on blood thinners for a while due to clots, so I’m familiar with the apprehension. Good luck to you.

1 Like Save    
bbstx

@ediej1209 AL Zn 7, call your pharmacy and see if they will bring your medications to the car or allow pick up at the drive-thru. You are vulnerable. Many state boards of pharmacy are relaxing rules to help pharmacies protect their staff and their patients.

Alternatively, see if the hospital pharmacy can fill your scripts before you leave the hospital. Frequently, hospitals have pharmacies that operate just like other out-patient pharmacies.

1 Like Save    
party_music50

omg, you're posting from the hospital, ediej? So sorry to hear of clots and blood thinner problems... my young nephew has to deal with all of that. :( I do know he uses the thinners that can be stopped/reversed/clotted when necessary. (sorry, don't know the correct terminology!)

Save    
CA Kate z9

edie, so sorry to hear you have had such a scare. Take care now, and please try to see if the pharmacy will deliver.

1 Like Save    
plllog

Virtual, hundreds of thousands of feet away hugs, Edie. I'm glad you're getting good care.

There were plenty of people out last night, taking walks, driving places. About as many as on big holidays. It was really nice out, and we're going to have a lot of rain this week. I decided that the risk that I'm carrying the virus, which is pretty small given the amount of human contact, most of which was early in the spread, compared to how cruel it would be not to visit my mother. She comes in contact with a lot more people than I do, normally, but not now, of course. I found it very hard to remember all the strictures in my childhood home. I made sure the surfaces were cleaned before I left. I felt heartsick when she was reaching for me as I was saying good-bye and ignored her hand. It's unlikely she'll survive if she gets the virus, and there's no way to know that I don't have it. Unlikely doesn't equal not possible. It's highly likely that the virus would kill her, and that she'd suffer badly. But it's equally true that she'll suffer cruelly if we don't visit her at all.

Where I was driving, yesterday, the only people I saw in close proximity to each other looked like couples/families. Apparently, people are all thinking they can go to parks, beaches, etc., to have an exercise break, but so many of them are doing so, they're not keeping proper distance.

Save    
sherri1058

ediej, my DH is also on blood thinners.... for life, as is the DH of a friend. My DH had clots in his lungs and the doctors wondered why he survived. Luckily, DH can take pills whereas the friend must have injections. Very scary at the time, but it's been under control for a few years now, and his VO2 capacity is better than many folks years younger than he is. Take care of yourself.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

edie, I'm also glad you were not "removed". Both my Dad and Stepmother were on blood thinnners for years, they both did very well after a period of adjustment of the amounts they needed to take to keep their blood "levels" where they needed to be.

Here nearly all the pharmacies have drive throughs and the hospitals have "in house" pharmacies, I hope those options are open to you. Stay safe and get healthy.

Plllog, like you I have an elderly Mother and I cook for her, so I visit weekly. I have abstained from hugging and kissing, but I do always blow her kisses from her front porch, and she sits inside and I sit outside and we talk. She'd be very unhappy if I didn't come, plus she'd have to eat my brother's cooking and that would make her even more unhappy!

Here I'm happily "self isolating", i.e. cleaning chicken coops, LOL. No one seems to want to visit when I'm doing that type of thing. Most farmers I know are "self isolating" anyway, this time of year they are on tractors, spreading manure. Lots of space between them and anyone else!

The self absorbed and just not too smart are out in force though. Since our Governor closed the bars and restaurants to all but take out, the ones who always met at the bar every weekend are now just having big parties at their homes, in spite of the "no gatherings of more than 10 people" edict. I know a couple of them and they say it's their "right" to party if they want to, no one is going to tell THEM what to do. I replied that they should go ahead, it was probably God's way of weeding out the terminally stupid. I don't even remember a time in my life when it was so important to "party" that I'd risk spreading illness to others, but maybe I'm just sheltered. Or unrealistic. Or so old I don't remember. (sigh)

Annie

2 Likes Save    
Compumom11

Yikes Edie, glad that you're doing well and getting back to daily life, whatever that is now! My father was on blood thinners for 15 years. There are a few foods that are no no's. Please check them out or your blood tests will be wacky and your blood could become too thin. Take good care!

I've hit up a few markets recently and wheat flour of any brand was non existent. Lucky I have enough for the little bit of baking I do. However I do have plenty of alternative flours like almond, coconut, tigernut, rice (white and brown), cup for cup and Bob's Red Mill GF blend. If I eat all those baked goods I'll need a whole new wardrobe by the time this sequestration is over!

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

No wheat flour here either, Compumom, and none of the gluten free blends available, but I have various types on hand. I also have a grain mill and wheat berries, so my baking might just get a bit more "rustic", LOL, although I have hard red, hard white and soft white berries.

There was no Crisco either, which surprised me for some reason. I don't use it and I still have lard in the freezer from the last time I rendered pork fat, but my brother wanted some. I can't imagine what he would use it for, he doesn't bake, but there was none to be had anyway.

Annie

1 Like Save    
plllog

When I was at TJ's a week ago, the oil shelves were depleted, though still stocked. They mostly have olive oils, though they also carry sunflower, and, I think, avocado. My guess is that the people really were just buying it for all the home cooking they were planning, but my guess, too, is that people have been buying Crisco because it's shelf stable, cheaper than butter, for the frying and baking they're planning. It's all weird. I guess I'm cynical, but I don't think most of the people buying all this up actually know how to cook and bake, or their pantries would already be stocked...

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Geesh I don't use much Crisco but I'm sure glad I bought a tiny can of it around Christmas! People are nuts!!

Thank all of you for your good wishes. Never thought about hospital pharmacies. That will save me a ling painful walk. Thank you!!

And that's another depressing thing to think of ... No hugs and Fairy Kisses from my grandkids :-( . Especially since their Mom is an ER RN. So for all you dealing with caring for elderly parents and trying to keep them safe it's tough, I know.

Everyone please stay safe and healthy!!

Save    
Islay Corbel

Edie, you take care. You don't need this virus on top of everything else.

Here, we are wearing masks. I think it's especially important if you're visiting parents. My husband has to visit his 93 year old mum every day so I have made masks and we said them in a solution that kills viruses after an hour. It's far from perfect, but hopefully will help to prevent anything being transferred from my husband to his mum.

There are lots of patterns on the net. I found this one easy to make and is more comfortable that some.

https://youtu.be/ZpQEsEGiX5Y

1 Like Save    
Olychick

Edie, get yourself a pair of gloves to use with your chef's knife that cannot be cut - just search for cut proof/resistant gloves and find a pair for kitchen use. If you're hands are small be sure to get some that come in small size.

2 Likes Save    
nancyofnc

Homemade masks are bacteria hotels that sit right tight on your face. Don't, just don't.

Save    
annie1992

Masks aren't meant to protect the person wearing them, they are to protect other people from our breathing, coughing, etc. The N95 masks will filter out some pathogens, but according to the health organizations:

The lighter surgical or medical face-masks are made to prevent spit and mucous from getting on patients or equipment.

Homemade ones are not better/worse at that than the other ones meant as dust masks, etc., which are not the same as surgical masks. Surgical masks are better than homemade masks but should be left for the health care providers who actually need them.

So, does that mask help me? Nah. Does it help keep my germs from my elderly mother. Yes, somewhat, although not totally effective. Instead, I just stand 6 feet away and blow kisses. Mom's good with that.

Annie

1 Like Save    

Everyone should be wearing masks.

I agree 100% with this article...I was saying just this a few weeks ago,

'Why Telling People They Don't Need Masks Backfired'

article HERE

1 Like Save    
plllog

The thing is, cloth masks, whether the spit and mucous kind, homemade or a simple bandana, do limit the distance of spread of certain droplets, but they are not restrictive enough to restrain the covid-19 virus. It can go right on through. This gives people a false sense that they're not shedding virus. As I said when you first brought this up, the suggestions to wear such masks were for reminding people to keep their distance, not touch their faces, etc. For that, any kind of mask or scarf will work so long as the wearer doesn't get so used to wearing it, and the populace get so used to seeing them, that it's no longer a reminder. It's possible (I don't know the data) that cloth masks are better than nothing for limiting spread, but the question becomes which is a greater benefit, the amount of moderate to mild prevention of the mask or preventing the false sense of security it brings.

I have a mist filter respirator mask for airbrushing. It's rated for very fine droplets, but from what I've read, I don't think it would withstand the virus. It might need a carrier to cough right on it, to breathe it in. Coughing it out would cause the wearer to remove the mask fast. It's not easy to breathe in it to begin with, and it does seal to the face. Wearing it in public, with goggles, might be a good way to keep people away from you, though. :)

The author of that article had a good point about the N95 masks. Sure, teaching people how to properly fit and wear them makes more sense than saying don't. These do work, though not perfectly. For contagion, proper fitting is essential, or they're just overpriced spit masks. It's not a perfect seal, though, and there are other issues, but it's the best we have for the medical workers who come into constant contact with infected patients. Even with the masks and other measures, medical workers are catching the virus. It's inevitable, but the more staff who are sick, the fewer will be available to treat patients right when the exponential growth of serious cases is hitting. Nurses here are demonstrating outside a hospital because of the shortage of N95 masks. Corporations and private parties who use N95 masks for non-medical work, are donating their supplies to hospitals. There just aren't enough.

So, teaching the populace to use them correctly is moot. If you have one and use it, great! But "everyone" shouldn't be wearing them, because the hospitals are in such need. If you want to say that everyone should have had a stock of them in their emergency preparedness kits, and we should have had a much larger emergency store of them for hospitals, first responders, etc., just for this kind of event, sure. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. When this is over, we can put a lock on the barn door in case a horse escapes in the future. That's not today's issue.

Save    
CA Kate z9

I worked in hospitals for years and was never told to wear a mask only if Iwas sick. (Why would I even be at work if I was sick?!) We always wore masks into rooms with patients who were contagious.... for any reason, along with special gowns in some cases.

I do understand that there is a darth of masks and agree that the medical profession needs them more than me.... but....... hmmmmm. Maybe if I kept one or two and gave the rest away? (No, I haven't horded boxes of masks, but I do have some from when DH was ill.)

Save    
plllog

I think the "only if you're sick" message was to remind couples with one sick one to maintain their distance. :)

Save    
2ManyDiversions

I found a couple of N95 masks in my jewelry making cabinet just the other day. DH and I will be using them for ourselves. A local nurse friend offered us some due to our health issues and the fact that DH must deal with the public, and I told her to keep them for herself and her family, knowing about the shortage and their high-risk - I was overwhelmed with her kindness. I will reuse my mask as long as I can, taking precautions with handling it, storing it, and washing my hands before and after putting it on. But I will be wearing it when I go out.

1 Like Save    

Thank you 2MD. Be safe and careful. You can extend the life by hanging outside on a sunny day....let it spin around. A spritz with alcohol. Alcohol dissipates quickly. I have a hand held steamer I use in the bathroom. Steam heat is boiling and 100% effective. As far as we know. Freezing does NOT kill.

Wash hands throughly, then put on any mask. Use Clorox wipes in and out of the car, the handle, the store handle, etc. Once home, new wipe on home door handle and bleach store contents outside. Wash hands again carefully, then remove your mask. Outside, wash hands again.

I said from the get-go, they should hand them out free all over the city. But we don't have them. So troubling. That is the big failure, and the hoarding of testing by our medical. My brother cannot get a test but hopefully that will change soon. Most just want to know if they are a risk to family and others.

Everyone in China is wearing masks. Surrounding cities started wearing masks immediately. A cough can go further than 6 ft. And onto surfaces. Most carriers do not know they have it. Keep it in the mask. Cloth masks can go into soapy water, then boiling kettle water. Heat kills.

All our stock at work was picked up. Or delivered by us. I know there is more in storage but did not go into work the day I was going to search.

I have very few N95's at home but we are not going anywhere. Emergency only.

2 Likes Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

On our way home this afternoon (YAY!) we stopped at the grocery store and I gave DH a wishlist hoping for at least some of it. He was actually able to get everything, including milk, cottage cheese and some produce! At least maybe some of the panic buying is slowing down? Or people are finally realizing good storage needs to be taken into account too?

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Simplifying: How to Get Your Grown Kids’ Things Out of the House
Sorting through childhood possessions takes time and the buy-in of your kids. An organizer offers a helpful road map
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: An Orange County Ranch Gets Into the Swing of Things
Golf course views and a mild climate feature in this 1960s ranch remodeled in midcentury modern style
Full Story
Life 12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story