SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Our schools are all closed

Jasdip
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

It was just announced that all of our elementary and high schools will be closed for a further two weeks, following next week's March break because of the virus.

Also our annual Maple Syrup Festival is cancelled, (which brings 10's of thousands of visitors for the one day festivities) and the OHL (Ontario Hockey League) has cancelled the remaining games.

Comments (115)

• yeonassky
    4 years ago

I'm not a medical person but I understand that if the virus doesn't get to as many people it hopefully won't mutate beyond our current ability to create a vaccine for it. Much the same as with a cold virus.

Apparently there are two strains to be concerned about as well.

Usually the flu season is over by the end of April. If the new coronaviruses are like the flu then we will only have to be very careful until the end of April or possibly May. It would be nice if no more compromised immune system people and senior citizens would get it.

I worry about my sister with diabetes and a bad heart who also has had a stroke. Her immune system is extremely compromised.

• norsetex
    4 years ago

Our school district has been on spring break this week, today announced it's extended for two weeks. Hoping to take advantage of the time to fit in a tonselectomy for my granddaughter since we were told expect a week at home after. Fingers crossed though I'm sure the doctor's schedule is booked. We've stocked up a few weeks ago on supplies, not going crazy but just aware. We do have two people with autoimmune problems so precautions are being taken.

• Related Discussions

We have blizzard in NYC; school is closed!!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Forecast is -12 dgrs F tonight, in spite of global warming. I did blow part of the snow yesterday, but my ears nearly froze off. We had 1 ft of snow total. Around Boston there are 2 ft of snow. But in my basement in their growing chamber hostas are growing at 80 F, that are good looking seedlings. Bernd This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 16:57
    ...See More

Schools closed here tomorrow

Q

Comments (17)
    Nodakgal, our schools had Zero Period, starting at 6:30 am and two of my kids took classes then as upper classmen. They liked the Zero Period classes because they always knew who their teacher would be and because they wanted to take an extra class. At registration for classes, Period 1 through 6 classes did not indicate who the teacher would be, so for some classes they really liked avoiding a particular teacher or being assured they would be getting someone they really liked. The other kid had surf class at dawn. The rule was that as the sun was just starting to come up, their feet had to be on the water line at the beach. They surfed through zero and first periods, rushed home during 2nd period to shower and change and be at school by 3rd period. This son lettered in surf.
    ...See More

do you recall school closings because of cold?

Q

Comments (36)
    Where I grew up, snow never even stuck to the ground, so the school was never closed for snow. But further north in the state, yes, the schools were closed for snow sometimes, in the sixties and seventies. I think it was a good decision. Back then it was much more sensible and cost efficient for schools in the northern part of the state to just stay home rather than keep equipment to plow the roads and everyone to buy show chains or tires. I remember hearing as a little girl about schools up north closed due to triple digit heat waves and laughing. We never closed our schools due to heat, and triple digit temps were business as usual. Now that I'm older and wiser, I realize those schools were wise to close due to the heat, which was probably as unsafe for them as the snow and ice are for us. Atlanta has grown bigger and it's probably better that the metro area invests in the equipment and personnel to keep the roads safe even during the snow. But I'm nostalgic enough to hope we always close the schools here when it snows. I think people are more safety-conscious nowadays. We never used to wear seat belts, put babies in car seats, wear helmets when we biked or snow skied. My mom said when she was a teenager, a fellow 16-year-old student drove the school bus. So sorry about your enforced holiday. I'd rather have a beautiful spring day off, too.
    ...See More

schools closed because of the election ?????

Q

Comments (11)
    Yep when your polling place is your school you sort of have no other options. More so now than ever, since we have become very concerned with security in schools. I sure wish I could vote in the building/school where I work. No such luck I will take half hour getting there.
    ...See More
  • quasifish
    4 years ago

I'm anticipating the school closure here. The city has already cancelled several large festivals upcoming in the next 2 months.

We got a call from the school this morning that all extracurricular activities have been cancelled, and no volunteers are allowed on campus until further notice. After next week, the kids are off school for 2 weeks of spring break, so this wouldn't be the worst time to shut down the schools...

I'm not typically a germaphobe, but understand the need to slow down this potentially fast moving train. DH had major surgery a month ago (affecting his chest), so we are extra cautious on his behalf. We won't go anywhere that isn't necessary and limit our contact for a while. Heck, with unlimited calling and video chat, we aren't really missing anyone!

• katlan
    4 years ago

All Pennsylvania schools, K-12, are closed til March 30th.

• phoggie
    4 years ago

Kansas colleges have extended another week of Spring Break. I understand the thought behind closing schools and that would fine and dandy IF the kids actually stayed confined to their homes instead of hanging out at the malls, movies, other homes, etc! Since I am a huge college basketball fan, I was disappointed that the NCAA tournament was cancelled but.....

update....within the last hour, they have announced K-12 schools will be closed for another 2 weeks!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

All schools in our county have announced they will be closed for 4 weeks. One of the weeks is Spring Break. They will have E Learning classes. Most all counties around us are being closed too.

Sue in Central Indiana

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I think cancelling/closing activities where more than just a few people cross paths is a thoughtful approach with hopefully a good effect. The continuing of schools, public meetings, large employer work attendance, sporting events, on an "everything is normal" basis would be irresponsible.

Take the example of South Korea - something like half of its corona-virus cases originated among people who attend a Christian megachurch. In addition to churchgoers themselves, many others got sick from physical encounters with these people, before the specific source of the infections had been identified and quarantines imposed.

To me, it seems akin to cutting firebreaks to slow down the growth and spread of a wildfire. Easy to do, little to lose.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Us too. My son's University and my work.

We're both kicked out until at least Mid April. We'll see from there

• Chi
    4 years ago

My husband's work (employs tens of thousands of people) announced a mandatory work from home period starting today.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Yeah, like that, Chi. We're a place that's five figures member-wide. That is why have been told to go home. The size of city. We have our own post office. And a member has COVID

• norsetex
    4 years ago

All city events have stopped, Our library will close, but you can put a book on hold and they'll have it ready at the driveup window. Thank goodness for that. We've picked up a couple new games to try since some shows have stopped production.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We got notices that our exercise classes are cancelled. It's not a large group....only 30-ish, but since they're seniors there are travelers. One couple is in Cuba now, expected to come home this weekend. I'm sure that's why the closure.

There's an annual St Patrick's party on a street filled with student rentals. It's not condoned, it was a small street party one year, then word got out to other universities, and it's grown every year. Thousands of university kids, booze, police presence etc.

They've been told not to have it this year, and with the school closures, perhaps (but I DOUBT it) they will use common sense.

• User
    4 years ago

In perusing these posts I noticed that many quoted the "no more than 100 people gathering" precaution. But also many talked of going to grocery stores. Those busy stores were filled with several hundred shoppers. Think about it....

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

People cannot go without food and the basic necessities. Of course there will be visits to the grocery stores! Stores here are not anymore crowded than normal, although I would avoid a weekend visit if possible. A number of stores in my area have offered extended hours so one has the option of going when volumes are lower - very early in the am or late at night. And many have the order ahead and pick-up option. Or delivery.

As long as one takes the normal precautions about hygiene and social distancing, I don't think grocery shopping is that risky an activity and one that will remain a necessity throughout this crisis.

• sjerin
    4 years ago

We're aware, Raye, but have to buy groceries now and then. I avoid knots of people and scurry on my way.

• quasifish
    4 years ago

Raye, I thought about that too! And what about those who need to run from store to store in an attempt to find basic supplies they need? How many people are they going to come into contact with? It seems to me that there is the possibility of the preparedness panic actually causing more contact and problems in the long run. I definitely encountered about 15x more people than usual on my early morning grocery trip this week than I usually do.

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

I shop at 6AM when the store first opens. Today I wasn't alone in the aisles. There were actually a dozen or more cars in the lot when I arrived. You don't have to shop when there are masses there too. Social distancing, washing your hands upon return...remember this isn't any more saturated than the regular flu. It just has a longer shelf life!!

• chisue
    4 years ago

Too bad that some people will not voluntarily observe sane distancing to avoid spreading the virus. Oh, I see...*they* are unlikely to suffer serious illness or death. *They* don't care if *they* die; life does end, you know. So what if medical facilites are overwhelmed...*they* won't need care. Besides, some people have not taken good care of themselves; guess they *deserve* to sicken and die.

I must not have taken enough care to have developed a blood cancer. Besides, I'm too old to have 'value'.

Bring it ON! This virus is going to wipe out...exactly who?

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

Last I heard there were 8 States that shut down their k-12 schools. Mine will not. Monday we return from spring break. It will be interesting to see which State had the better combatant idea. MN believes kids aren't all that susceptible so what the heck! They might be correct but that doesn't stop them from carrying it back to adults who are vulnerable--let alone the many faculty we have who are cancer survivors/current victims.

• Chi
    4 years ago

Yes kids aren't at great personal risk but they are wonderful at passing germs as they are still learning how to contain their own germs and wash properly. I've never seen so sick as the year I taught preschool despite constant hand washing. Kids catching and passing to Grandma and Grandpa would not be good at all.

• lucillle
    4 years ago

I don't think grocery shopping is that risky an activity and one that will remain a necessity throughout this crisis.

I think grocery shopping in the grocery store is extremely risky, what with droplets hanging in the air for hours, people reusing carts, money handed over. I ordered a few things from Walmart 'same day' grocery delivery but they are swamped and the stuff won't be delivered until tomorrow. Of course there is risk there too, and the risk will rise as more people become ill and work, but still to me considerably less risk than actually going to a store.

Besides, I'm too old to have 'value'.

Chica you have plenty of value here.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

Schools are closed here also. At first they said they were not closing schools but have changed their mind and they are closed.

We are staying home, doing our part to reduce the curve. I have a compromised immune system, diabetes, and other medical conditions. I definitely don't need to be mixing. I really didn't want to go to the grocery store but it is a necessity at times and my pharmacy is in the Kroger. I was trying to go down aisles when less people were in them but the store was crowded. We are doing the best we can.

We were expecting a visit from our septic system inspector today because it's making a strange sound and the red light is on. His wife called me to tell me that he was not coming because he was very sick! He has a sore throat and cough and a fever. No shortness of breath yet. He recently traveled to Waco for a convention dealing with septic equipment. She is very concerned because she also has a compromised immune system and several other conditions. I told her that he needs to get tested. Don't wait for shortness of breath because that means he already has lung damage. I really hope he does get tested.

But that's just an example of how we could get exposure while at home!

• aok27502
    4 years ago

North Carolina 's governor has just ordered all schools closed for two weeks. Also no gatherings over 100 people.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Went to the water park today. It is the least crowded place I've been to. Apparently social distancing hasn't hit here yet. Yesterday morning the grocery store was nuts. Went to go to the pub for an early dinner (4 pm) and we couldn't even find a parking spot in their lot. Went to the club and it was crowded. This AM the local breakfast joint was also parked up. All of the restaurants are busy this weekend. I'm sure all the bars are also tonight with St Patrick day celebrators. I'm not into bars, but they showed them on the news. I kept hearing the same statement. "It might be the last time we are going to be able to get out for awhile".

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"Apparently social distancing hasn't hit here yet."

You're suggesting there's an entire region of people who don't read a newspaper or watch TV news? Or, more likely, aren't clever enough to follow guidance?

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

Are people really so naive they think closing schools will help in social distancing? Most schools around here are closed also other than a few private schools. One private school sent out emails saying they preferred to follow public health guidelines that cited unintended consequences of school closures due to viruses. I was curious and found this. Straight from the CDC. Since it's a document I couldn't cut and paste. But the second paragraph says it all. If you wish to remain ignorant don't read it. If you are willing to learn here it is.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/considerations-for-school-closure.pdf

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Lucille, stupidity is hiding in a hole like a frighten little rabbit fearing something that hasn't happened yet. Now it has happened . Today we had our first two cases in our area and not even in the same county as the water park. They live in the same house and acquired it from travelling out of state, not locally. So now it is time to be extra cautious, not before.

• lucillle
    4 years ago

So now it is time to be extra cautious, not before.

That is exactly wrong. You can be exposed to cases without having a test confirmed case nearby. By the time the confirmation is published that infected person can have and statistically does infect 2-3 other people.

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

I'm glad you enjoyed your outing functionthenlook. I'm sure that environment was far safer than the hordes of people grabbing everything off the grocery shelves with kids and the whole dang family in tow that I witnessed today. If they are that worried, why doesn't just one person shop for the family? I mean like where is the social distancing standing in long lines? LOL

You're suggesting there's an entire region of people who don't read a newspaper or watch TV news?

Therein lies the problem. People need to turn off the news and stop taking "guidance" from the media. Health officials are not promoting anxiety and insanity, the media is.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

In all responsible media, with one exception, there is news content and editorial content. News is news, the effort is made to find unbiased information and that is passed along. Editorial content is opinion. With most such responsible media companies, the two divisions are entirely separate, separately managed and which piece is which can usually be easily seen.

The one media exception that I can see is Fox News. They have no unbiased news content, only opinion pieces. Most of their dimwitted viewers, Trump included, don't know or understand the difference. Whether on a "news" show or their personality programs.

On outlets like CNN or other legit TV programs, a news program has an anchor and information from reporters either in the studio or in the field. A show with a panel discussion is not news. A political show as you may typically see has party affiliated spokespersons trying to get in soundbytes. It's like the rah-rah churn after a speech or debate, it's opinions and there's really no thoughtful independent content to it.

Information from informed sources is just that, that's news content. Those who don't know the difference will be misled 10 out of 10 times.

PS - don't tell our friend that they've found evidence that people may be contagious with the virus before showing actual symptoms. Or that some people are out wandering in public while waiting for tests in the meantime. Her "medical training", however limited she's clearly shown that it was, also didn't include a common sense test.

• Manon Floreat
    4 years ago

I'm in King County, WA state, ground zero in the USA. It's nuts out here.

The school districts of three of our counties have all been closed. It's likely that more will follow suit.

My employer - an arts organization - closed down with a mandatory work from home policy, as applicable. Many other arts organizations in the region are doing the same. Small businesses are hurting. Some have already closed. Not for profit human services are scrambling. Layoffs and furloughs have started. Streets are clear. People are freaked out - and weirder than normal.

It's bad around these parts.

I don't want to get sick and I don't want to unknowingly spread the virus if I'm infected. I'm heartbroken about the vulnerable. I'm self isolating in an effort to do my part.

And what is the deal with people hoarding toilette paper and garlic? I mean, of all the things to hoard, why TP and garlic???

• Chi
    4 years ago

"Today we had our first two cases in our area and not even in the same county as the water park"

Yep, and every single person they came into contact with in the days before a positive test have been exposed now. Maybe some of them still feel fine and went to the water park and spread their germs around.

That's how it happens. It spreads before people know they are sick, when they are still running around going to unnecessary places and thinking they know better than the experts.

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

Well I hope everyone who is dissing functionthenlook for living a normal life, like a mentally stable person, has quarantined themselves. You know just in case. Whether you feel well or not. It would be hypocrisy to do anything else. Just one person you contact anywhere and unknowingly infect could infect ten others. You could have a 100 people in a group who are not infected and you could have 3 out of five close friends be unknowingly infected. What's next, test kits at the door? "Here let me swab you before you take off you shoes so you can dust my floor with your socks?" LOL

There is a huge difference between taking precautions and calculating risks, and living in constant fear and anxiety. Too bad we have a psychiatric shortage.

• Chi
    4 years ago

Well I hope everyone who is dissing functionthenlook for living a normal life, like a mentally stable person, has quarantined themselves. You know just in case. Whether you feel well or not. It would be hypocrisy to do anything else.

I sure have! I don't plan to leave my home for a few weeks. I don't mind temporary slight inconveniences if it can save lives. I think it's selfish not to.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Watchmelol, as you said earlier it is no use. When people are in mass hysteria mode common sense, logic , and the ability to filter information reasonably is compromised.

• Alisande
    4 years ago

Funny, I don't look or sound hysterical, nor do my friends who are also self-isolating. We started early, when the first case in our state was confirmed close by. When I start feeling restless I figure I'll drive to some cemeteries and catch up on my backlog of requests for gravestone photos.

I'm certainly not surprised to see Watchmelol putting down the media. This seems a good time to recommend the excellent documentary "The Brainwashing of my Dad." Last time I checked, Amazon Prime had it.

• Bookwoman
    4 years ago

I have a close friend who is an ER doc at a major medical center. He texted me the other day saying "The healthcare system is not even close to ready. As this thing gets going there will be no beds available, no vents, no nurses, and no providers soon as we all get sick or drop out to take care of elders, kids etc. "

And I just now read this: Two ER Doctors Test Positive For COVID-19

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I had several comments typed out in response to this thread and recent comments here. But on reflection, better judgement imposed on me not to post them. It is unlikely those that the comments were directed to would appreciate that they were the subjects anyway.

All I would offer is that it is in crisis times like these that we see the best and the worst of humanity. And the worst is usually the ignorance and abject stupidity most of our population demonstrates on a daily basis, let alone during times of stress and crisis......it just becomes more blatant and obvious then.

It's a good thing we are encouraged to avoid gatherings, stay home if possible and practice social distancing. There are a few here I wouldn't want to see in my rear view mirror, let alone encounter in real life!! Selfishness doesn't begin to describe it!

• Chi
    4 years ago

"When people are in mass hysteria mode common sense, logic , and the ability to filter information reasonably is compromised."

The problem is when everyone ignores the expert advice because they think their common sense is more important. I haven't seen a single doctor or other expert say it's fine to carry on with normal unnecessary public outings like water park visits. Every single one says to avoid unnecessary public exposure. There's a reason for that.

And it's a problem when people ignore it thinking they know better. Imagine if everyone thought that way. The virus would spread like wildfire (as it has done in other countries) and people would die from lack of ICU resources. Like they are in some areas in Italy, where doctors have to choose who lives and who dies because they don't have enough ventilators. It's not some spooky fairy tale. It is happening, and it can easily happen here too, especially when people refuse to temporarily stop their normal activities.

I think there's a world of difference between things like grocery shopping and fun public outings. One is a necessary risk, and one isn't.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

I hope this situation helps people understand the importance of vaccinations.

The way I think of it is like this: Imagine a bag of M&M's. Spill them out on a table. The yellow ones are susceptible, the green ones are bad. If a green touches a yellow, poof the yellow turns bad. Lucky there are so many black, red, blue, and orange M&M's -- they protect the yellows by isolating them from the greens.

Now imagine that bag is ALL yellows ... and at least one green is on its way.

NONE of us have immunity. That's why this is much more serious than "regular" flu. For "regular" flu, vaccinations protect our most vulnerable and most vital populations: the infirm, the elderly, the health care workers, the fire and police personnel. And many of the rest of us ordinary people who cared enough to get a flu shot.

Vaccinations, people.

Until then, social distancing and strict hand washing must substitute. Stay informed of your local conditions (which are not necessarily the same as mine) and be responsible citizens.

• Alisande
    4 years ago

These animated simulations graphically demonstrate the importance of social distancing--similar to what Nickel described above.

How to Flatten the Coronavirus Growth Curve

• lucillle
    4 years ago

My late father used to tell me that when you lose your temper, you lose. I did lose my temper and have expunged the offending comments above and I apologize to Function.

I still feel strongly that her actions are not in line with the distancing concept put in place to save lives, but even someone who is flat wrong deserves to be treated with courtesy, because you will never change anyone's perspective without treating them with basic courtesy.

• joann_fl
    4 years ago

Our schools in North Fla are closed for the next 2 weeks. I only found out on Facebook.

• Michael
    4 years ago

I'm only tuning it when our governor and director of health have a scheduled update.

This morning the governor of Ohio planted the seed among Ohioans that schools may be shuttered for the remainder of the school year.

“We’ve informed the superintendents while we close schools for three
    weeks, that the odds are that this is going to go on a lot longer and it
    would not surprise me at all if schools did not open again this year,”
    the governor said.

Most recent update.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine says he has asked Ohio Department of Health Director
    Amy Acton to sign an order closing all bars and restaurants in the state
    by 9 p.m. Sunday.

Businesses are still allowed to be open for carry-out and delivery.

“It will be in effect until as long as it needs to,” DeWine said of the order.

To assist workers impacted by the closures, DeWine says he will issue an
    executive order creating several changes to Ohio’s unemployment law and
    state agency policy, including waiving wait times for unemployment
    benefits and work requirements for those quarantined.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Lucille, apologie accepted. Perfectly understandable. Trying times make people act out of character.

• phoggie
    4 years ago

It seems that there is still one person on here that can not post without giving jabs at the “Executive branch of Government “ and “one particular media network “....somethings never to change! I guess I need to take another “vacation” from the table! 😡

• Bookwoman
    4 years ago

Our local mall (the second-largest in the country) has closed completely. On the other hand, a friend went to Costco today and said that aside from the lack of tp and cleaning supplies, everything else was normal. No big crowds, plenty of food, etc.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

phoggie, if you walk away or to stick your fingers in your ears whenever an opinion that differs from your own is expressed, that's your choice. Too bad. How can you learn anything or put your own views into context if you listen only to people who you think agree with you? If you disagree with what I say, tell me what and why.

I'm open to hearing your opinion on the following, why have so many public health officials criticized the slow action of the federal government? Trump originally said that the virus epidemic was a hoax designed by his political opponents to make him look bad. Do you agree with that? Many (Republicans included) saw that as a foolish and ignorant statement - do you?

In light of the slow or inept federal steps, many governors today have taken their own steps. The first announcement I heard of was the Republican governor of Ohio about new rules in his state, in the absence of federal action. Is this a political act against him, like Trump said of the others?

• maddielee
    4 years ago

“ Our schools in North Fla are closed for the next 2 weeks. I only found out on Facebook.”

???? You might want to to read some local media? The governor announced days ago that all schools in Florida would be closed.

• sephia_wa
    4 years ago

"Well I hope everyone who is dissing functionthenlook for living a normal life..."

What is normal about what is occurring in this country and Italy, France, and Spain? What is normal about that?

Are you incapable of considering other people and their concern for their health, and that of elderly friends and family? You're mocking people for their fears is totally inappropriate.

Living about 40 min from the Kirkland life center where 29 people have died because of COVID-19, nothing about this is normal to them and their families.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor