SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tania71

Home flooded- private insurance adjuster??

tania71
4 years ago

A toilet in our upstairs bathroom plugged and ran for approx. 2 hours before us waking up to a torrential down pour. Insurance sent out a restoration company which then proceeded to demo the entire bathroom, the ceiling, took out approx. 100sq ft of nail down hardwood floors as well as some carpet.

This is not our first rodeo, 9 years ago our hot water tanks flooded our house in the middle of the night. However, our insurance experience 9 years ago is vastly different than it is unfolding with this flood. 9 years ago insurance sent out an adjuster who used a software program inputing everything that was damaged and needed to be replaced, it was very thorough and specific. Fast forward to now, our insurance has given us the names of 3 contractors that we are approved to use. We can have them out and they will assess the damage and perform the work OR we can use a general contractor of our choosing.

This seems like a conflict of interest, the first company that came out that I ended up sending away was trying to tell me they could match my hardwoods without sanding and staining the existing hardwoods, that is impossible. They proceeded to tell me they could match the continuas piece of carpet and would not have to replace all of it, they carpet is 8 years old how on earth are they going to find the same carpet??

My question is, is it beneficial to hire an independent adjuster? We called one and they quoted us a fee of 10% of the damage. We have called our insurance company asking for an independent adjuster not affiliated with a construction company and they said they don't do that. We had a general contractor out but he was just assuming that insurance would not pay for some things so he wouldn't submit it. Seems like we should submit high and see what they come back with. Do we try to find a general contractor on our own who is familiar with insurance claims but does not "work" for USAA? I feel like we are going to get screwed. I have included some pictures for reference.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville