SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

Companion plants for this lonely rose bed?

I recently became aware of companion plants. To my surprise, I read how it's better for roses to be in the right 'arranged marriages' instead of with each other only. I thought they wanted a bed all to themselves so they won't have to fight for sun, nutrients and the like; but apparently, that's not correct.

Truth be told, my small bed rose does look blah even when the bushes are leafed out and full. What type of plants would you recommend here?

My three roses are barely visible in the picture because they were pruned hard and a bare root was just planted (Julia Child, in the back). They are roughly 3 feet apart planted in zig-zag, with some more space to the right waiting for Belinda's Dream to arrive..and maybe another one in the future.

So from left to right, it's Good as Gold, Julia Child (in the back), Dick Clark and Belinda's Dream (soon to come).

As you can see, there is a large tree to the left which is why I cannot add additional roses there even though it looks like more space would be available.

What do you think would work best between these roses or on the border, in front of all of them?

I would prefer some perennials so I won't have to plant away every year. But some easy to plant annuals would do too.

This bed is to the left of our driveway.

Thank you so much!

Comments (27)