SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candice_powell12

HELP! What do I do with a West facing 20 foot wall of windows?

candice_powell12
4 years ago

Thank you for your consideration of my design dilemma.

My newly constructed house has a 20 foot wall of West facing windows in the living room which shares a wall with my lower 9 foot dining ceiling windows. I need afternoon relief from the brutal summer Texas sun, but at the same time want to add a design element to the windows and muffle the echo from the huge open floorplan.

Here are some questions:

1. I am considering custom solar shades along the entire back wall (black to keep the view when lowered). We have an beautiful rural view and we want to see out at all times. I would not be opposed to a color or pattern on the shades, but we do need to block the sun. We are also planning solar shades on the second story outside deck overhang which can be seen through the upper windows.

2. I need some kind of soft treatment on the windows to help reduce the echo, so I am looking at some kind of drapery treatment also. My living room windows are not completely symmetrical and I do not have a lot of room on the left and right sides of the large wall either.

3. Because it is an open concept space, the dining room windows need to be considered with the overall treatment.

I am hoping the attached photos help explain the color and design of the rooms. This is a difficult decision for me because so far I have made all the design decisions on my own, but I am completely out of my comfort zone here. I want to add value to what I have done and not do something stupid. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so very much,

Candice

Comments (56)