SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valjoh1

Not sure what to do with the west wall - help!

valjoh1
14 years ago

I'm stumped! I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon GW by accident while googling about appliances a few weeks ago. I have no idea what to do anymore - and I need some sleep! I have seen people receive wonderful help with their layouts here and I hope you help me with my dilemma.

Background: we are removing a 11' load-bearing wall, gutting the entire kitchen and creating an open concept kitchen-dining-sitting room space. The shape is a tiny bit like a 'T'. The door on the west wall goes out onto a deck in the back yard and is 19'9" long. The short south wall is 10'(we call it the bump out). The north short wall is 8'. The rest of the space is for the dining table and sitting area and is roughly 18' X 15'. Here is a drawing of the entire space so you can see where the kitchen will sit within the context of the entire room.

{{!gwi}}

The goal is to have as much window along the west wall as humanly possible to bring the outdoors in.

Here is the layout we have been toying with for the kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

The south wall "bumpout" is to be a buffet-desk-pantry area. We want it to have an almost furniture feel (so no appliances here). Like this:

{{!gwi}}

The north wall is to be the fridge wall and hot bev centre. Like this:

{{!gwi}}

My problem is the west wall. We decided we wanted the island to only house a prep sink (at most). So this wall has to take care of the main sink (single tub), the cooktop, wall oven, dishwasher and as much window as possible.

- Should the oven go under the cooktop (this means buying the combo site unseen).Or should it go beside it? (and buy appliances we have seen) I tried to balance the WO on the left with the DW on the right because I have always thought of the hood fan being over the oven too. Does it look silly beside it? Or should the oven go on the other side of the cooktop under the counter of the island? And if so where?

- I don't have any uppers on the west wall to max window glass. Will we have enough room for oils/vinegars/spices and pots/pans?

Here is a perspective of the west wall.

{{!gwi}}

What it the best route to take with the wall oven? What should I do differently with any part of the layout?

*sigh* I feel like giving up before I even start :(

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville