SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19786736

Help! I am not sure what to do with this backsplash

User
9 years ago

Dear friends,
Sorry this is long, but...
We are having our cabinets re-faced. It was the best decision for us because I hated the thought of throwing out solid wood cabinets, no matter how ugly they were. We are keeping the quartz countertops - again, not a pattern I would have chosen, but no way am I tossing that stuff out. I had planned to remove the 4-in quartz backsplash and replace with mosaic tile, but then I learned that sometimes the fabricators don't scribe to the wall as carefully as they do when there is no BS. So we were going to tile above it. Now for the real problem: to my horror, I discovered what I thought was painted drywall between the BS and the cabinets is actually a sheet of plastic stuck to the wall, extending down behind the quartz backsplash! The cabinet refacers say we can put a tile BS on top of the plastic, but what to I do about the aluminum channel rounding off the edge? I tried to get it off but so far no luck. To make matters worse, there is another piece connecting two sheets of plastic, right behind the faucet. How can I tile over that?
Should I bite the bullet and risk ending up with damaged drywall if I remove it, or should I try to figure out how to tile over the aluminum channel behind the faucet?
TIA for any help you can provide. It will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations