SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Help finishing garden path/hardscaping

We worked with a landscape designer last season to add some much-needed hardscaping to our property. We are happy with most of the work that was completed, but we had a difference of opinion (and budget) regarding the garden path and front yard, and for a variety of reasons we have decided to part ways with the landscape designer and finish the work ourselves (to the extent possible).

Our lot is narrow and steeply sloped, with the house sitting on a small plateau in the middle. We have very little flat yard to speak of, just a narrow (10-12' wide) L shaped piece in front and on the south side (the other side is only 6' wide and the back is a cement/stone patio). We decided to put in a garden path (river rock with stepping stones) from the front stairs all the way around the side, with garden beds on either side, thus allowing us to eliminate the lawn. The side path was completed but the disagreement arose over how to turn the corner and create the path along the front of the house, so the landscaper put in a temporary path of stepping stones only in front while we decide how to complete the job. Here's what it looks like now:

Aerial:

Photo from porch steps toward catch basin (temporary stepping stones):

Photo from middle of side path toward catch basin:

Closer view of catch basin (no idea why they created a ring of rock around it):

Our inclination is simply to round the corner with the path, bypassing the catch basin, and continue it all the way to the porch landing, basically following the curve along which the temporary stones are already laid. I like the look of the river rock and stepping stones and see no reason to use a different material (though I do want to add a border of some type, perhaps slightly larger river rocks - yet another point of disagreement with the landscaper). I have planted a hedge of abelia along the fence, and was thinking of planting a row of compact shrubs (either evergreen, like boxwoods, or perhaps Bobo hydrangeas) along the porch side. A few perennials and a ground cover to fill in and I would be happy, I think. The front yard is not really visible from the street or from the porch so there is no need to go crazy with planting.

I would, however, like some type of feature in the corner by the catch basin (or on top of the catch basin to cover it up, LOL). We thought about a bench/arbor but it's really not a very comfortable place to sit given the direct sun and lack of privacy from the street/neighbors. A fountain, maybe? Here is a better picture of that area (taken before the fence and abelia went in) so you can see the dimensions - the catch basin is about 5' away from the fence on both sides (the cotoneaster and sad-looking Rose of Sharon are destined to be moved):

Anyway, all ideas are welcome! Thanks very much in advance for your expertise.

Comments (23)