SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
two25acres

My elation has turned to frustration.

two25acres
4 years ago

I came to work today knowing it would be my last day, dressed very casual as I knew I would be on the floor disconnecting my computer assessories and ready to load up my stuff. Came in early to prepare my work station. Boss showed up early as well as he had the same thing in mind. He is selling the agency and the closing was scheduled for Monday morning. We start cleaning, creamatorium furnace comes on - we both look at each other and say "we won't have to listen to that anymore" then the phone rings. His buyer's financing will not be approved and as it is applied for he does not qualify. I obviously do not know all the particulars, I've heard him throw production numbers around that weren't the least bit realistic but hey, his business, his business plan. The agent I currently work for is 42 years into his contract. His contract requires he has 2 licensed producers/staff. The new agent contracts require 4 licensed producers/staff. The income doesn't change. It's the expenses that do. Current agent own's office we are in, new agent would have to rent. Current agent own's the book of business, new agent gets a "mortgage" loan to cover the cost and obviously has the monthly note. Now add 2 additional staff members and the numbers don't work. Now I need to decide if I stick it out and help current agent or move on. I'm not the type of person to walk out on a job or commitment. I could have done that 14 months ago when he put the book up for sale. Yes, I will be extremely unhappy but at this moment I don't have anything lined up. I was however looking forward to some time off to hone some of my business skills and do some additional training to make the resume a bit more appealing.

I told him I would help him next week as he had a vacation planned. After that I need to give it some thought. Not really venting, but certainly frustrated/let down.

Comments (59)

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Did he offer you a generous severance or termination of employment bonus to show you his appreciation?

You committed to work until today. The transaction fell through, that's his problem.

Quit and don't go back. You owe him nothing.

Good luck finding your way to the right decision for you.

two25acres thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Mystical Manns
    4 years ago

So he's going on vacation anyway? Seems to me as tho he should be cancelling plans and trying to get things worked out. If he did that, I would say he's doing his part and could understand you sticking around a little longer to help. But he's not, he's going to kick back and enjoy his week, leaving you with the mess. Not acceptable!

two25acres thanked Mystical Manns
  • Related Discussions

frustrated, tired, angry, and want my life back

Q

Comments (4)
    I understand this may not help you at all, but please know that you're not alone. I'm in much the same place with my Mother. please seek a POA with medical benefits. Try to make him see you are his only support but you need the power to make his life easier. We are basically stuck with a few hundred acres of land that we are too worn out to farm, ours free and clear, but she won't leave her 3 acres.We'd like to put the farm life behind us and travel but can't even consider it. And one of the funniest things is when she was driving she went to the nursing home 3-5 days a week, to eat lunch with her friends. Now she won't even entertain the idea. Some tough decisions are going to have to be made for both of us. Good luck, I know for a fact it was easier raising 3 year old twin boys then it is raising a parent....... keep us up on your progress, all of us are learning every day. simple me
    ...See More

So frustrated - remodel is stalled before it has even started!

Q

Comments (1)
    Yeah but the construction drawings will force you to be far more specific. Not only will your estimate be more accurate but you may avoid cost overruns and schedule delays with a clearly done set of construction drawings and specifications list. I hear you on the frustration thing-- seems like everything takes longer and costs more at every turn. Plan, plan, plan seems to be the most consistent advice we got. Good luck!
    ...See More

Neighbor Parks Has Car On His Lawn for My Open Houses!Frustrating

Q

Comments (21)
    time2sell, I had a situation like that with my last investment property that I sold. The guy however, was doing it it kill my sale. He didn't like my buyers ethnicity and his wife even made sure I knew. He started parking all his cars in his front lawn, playing his country music very loud and doing little things just to try to scare my buyers off. There was no HOA so there was not much I could do. Luckily my buyer never said anything and the deal closed quickly. There is some sweet irony to this story though, my buyer apparently did notice the cars on the lawn, but interpreted it that it was ok to park on the lawn in his new neighborhood and started parking one of his cars on the lawn. Last time I drove by the house, he is still parking his car on the lawn. I guess the neighbor that thought he was spoiling my sale, actually started a new trend for the neighborhood. Serves him and his wife right. Time2sell hang in there. Focus on selling the house and not the jerk neighbor. Its juvenile and probably will have little impact on your sale. I also understand your not wanting to say anything to your neighbor. If the guy is this much of a jerk, he'll just be thrilled to know it bothers you.
    ...See More

My paint color has turned peach!

Q

Comments (17)
    In my post in baths and also in decorating forum "my expensive new bathroom is ugly" I just posted about how my painter painted the entire bathroom Kilim Beige including the ceiling and it is definitely pink or peachy pink. It was greenish going on, greenish in the fan deck but it is definitely pink on the walls now. I am sick about it because it cost a fortune to paint. I will have to wait until husband goes on a business trip for at least four days so I can get in there and try to fix it because he has also said "it stays". I have already been to the paint store so if you don't want fleshy toned color stay away from Kilim Beige by Sherwin Williams.
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I missed that. He gives himself vacations, just not you. And he wants you to stay on to mind the office during his vacation. What a dog.

• sephia_wa
    4 years ago

I agree with Elmer. Did the boss offer you any sort of package - severance of bonus? Or just a "bye?" And like Mystical Manns said. He should be cancelling his own vacation to deal with the situation. Not expecting you to stick around after you'd given your notice.

You don't want to be there. You had already made plans for when you leave - honing your business skills and taking some additional training. Go! Don't jeopardize your own future. You said you aren't the type of person to walk out on a job or a commitment. Your commitment to this job is over today - 2/28/20.

two25acres thanked sephia_wa
  • maddielee
    4 years ago

Whoa...everyone knew today was your last day, you are not walking out on a commitment. Until you told him you would stay another week.

I would be out the door.

two25acres thanked maddielee
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

That's right. two...you said you hadn't had a vacation in 4 years!

two25acres thanked nicole___
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

PS -

I've never heard of financing falling through the day before a scheduled sale of business close day. Or the day before a scheduled close day for the sale of anything. That gets lenders sued because it's too late to line up another source.

Someone's telling a fib, a lie. Could be the wannabee buyer, could be your boss because the sale fell through some time ago but he wanted to go on vacation and trap you into watching the store. I'll bet it's the boss.

Run.

• lucillle
    4 years ago

Agree. And promises to help made when you are being used and manipulated don't count.

two25acres thanked lucillle
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I can only imagine your frustration. The first red flag is the ‘sudden’ change in the buyer’s financing situation. The second is that your boss went on vacation, leaving you there. It was a setup. And you haven’t had a vacation in 4 Years? I would immediately type up my resignation, demand pay for 4 years of a week’s paid vacation per year, plus the week you stayed over unplanned, make a copy and send it to my attorney, and walk out the door next week as planned.

You have been more than accommodating and it’s time to go on with your life and leave the crematorium and that boss behind.

two25acres thanked OutsidePlaying
  • sephia_wa
    4 years ago

I also recall you saying you don't have paid vacation time, no benefits - for 22 years, that one time you put in for 64 hours of time and he paid you 80, he doesn't tell you what commissions/files you're paid for and that you have to rely on him to be honest. He then wanted it all paid back at once. You've also made comments about there have been some things he's wanted you to do that made you uncomfortable. You'd also said you'd taken a 35% pay decrease with your current job.

C'mon, the obvious can't be more obvious. Don't give this guy another second of your time. But if you feel you must, negotiate a bigly amount of $$ for one more week. You'd already made today your last day, so you're free to negotiate whatever salary you want. Make it worth YOUR while.

• JustDoIt
    4 years ago

Get your money in advance!

two25acres thanked JustDoIt
  • Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

I'm guessing that the phone call the boss received was a personal call that had nothing to do with his buyer or the buyer's financing. He has known for a while that the sale wasn't going to go through, but he didn't want to cancel his vacation, so he figured that he would spring this on you on your final day, so that you would agree to stay on to "help out." That phone call was likely prearranged -- a friend was told to call him at a specific time so that he could act like he just found out about "his buyer's bad news."

Get out while you can.

two25acres thanked Lindsey_CA
  • arkansas girl
    4 years ago

I hate to say it but I agree with Lindsey and Elmer, I think you are being played! The whole thing sounds like a bunch of hooey!

two25acres thanked arkansas girl
  • salonva
    4 years ago

As I read the comments, each one made sense to me. I only recall the thread about being elated to leave a job. I didn't know or don't recall that you haven't had a vacation in so many years or that you did not get benefits ( I am reading this quickly so maybe not the most accurate).

I thought it was really bizarre that the financing falls through at the last minute. I mean, I get that stuff happens but for all the planning and stipulations to be revealed at the last minute, doesn't ring true.

Then I read about Boss man is leaving for vacation and oh my it's now on you?!?!?!

At first I was thinking you should just leave anyway as was well planned. Then I thought well, maybe stay the extra week. That still may be what you do, but honestly, it had not registered to my brain that you would stay the extra week because your boss -- you know the OWNER --is going on a vacation.

As we used to say Not your circus; not your monkeys. Too bad so sad.

two25acres thanked salonva
  • Suzieque
    4 years ago

Just stop now. This is crazy and you’re allowing yourself to be taken advantage of. He’s going on vacation. Your last day was yesterday. D.O.N.E.

two25acres thanked Suzieque
  • lisa_fla
    4 years ago

Call him and say ‘something came up’ and you can’t stay on after all!!!!! It will feel great.

two25acres thanked lisa_fla
  • Yayagal
    4 years ago

You have been working for a manipulator who has you wrapped around his little finger. You didn't even take a break to think about it. I have no suggestions for you and I know this sounds harsh but take heed.

two25acres thanked Yayagal
  • dedtired
    4 years ago

sounds to me like Boss should cancel,his vacation since things are not going as planned. If he isn’t willing to pitch in, why should you? If you want to be an extra nice person and cover while he goes away for a week, then stay on. You May need a reference from him some day so you want to leave on a high note. After one week, I’d be out of there. You have a plan, so stick with it. You owe him nothing. Good luck.

two25acres thanked dedtired
  • sprtphntc7a
    4 years ago

agree with everyone - RUN! and something sounds fishy, but not your problem!!

if u feel obligated to stay the week, then stay. after that, he's on his own. trust me, you will feel liberated and FREE!!!!!

enjoy your time off!!!

two25acres thanked sprtphntc7a
  • lucillle
    4 years ago

You May need a reference from him some day

If he is a manipulator he will use that reference as a chokehold to keep you there as long as he wants.

two25acres thanked lucillle
  • eld6161
    4 years ago

References are not what they once were. Employers are very limited in what they can now actually say.

Both my millennial DD’s have changed jobs and a few times didn’t need a reference.

Interviews go from resume, to FaceTime, to an actual interview then sometimes even to a group interview. In other words, these companies are relying on what they think of the potential employee not a previous employer.

two25acres thanked eld6161
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

This may be tricky because (as I commented in an earlier thread on this situation) staying in a job with an abusive boss may reflect more negatively than positively on the employee no matter what. It's hard to put a good spin on.

If it were me in this situation, I'd have a story ready about "I took and kept the job because I needed the money", explain the toxic situation, and don't even consider having letter of reference. That should be enough, especially because of the nature of the employment (small insurance sales business) .

• matthias_lang
    4 years ago

I've watched too many movies, but my mind goes to, "Is Monday the day he expects the FBI (or some kind of state regulatory agency) to show up, or something?"

two25acres thanked matthias_lang
  • sephia_wa
    4 years ago

No, don't explain the toxic situation to a prospective new boss. Someone who does that to a person they want to hire them looks like they are involved in drama, or can't get along with people. I've participated in lots of interviews over the years, and when someone goes off about their previous job or boss, we'd just thank them for coming in, and move to the next candidate. Unless it's a really specialized field or skill, there's lots of people to interview.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

What sephia said. That was my experience when serving on interview committees as well. Potential employees who gave the impression that they were a drama lamas never got past the first interview. Better to say something like "I'm looking for new challenges" or the potential for growth, a new career path or something along those lines.

two25acres thanked DawnInCal
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

My shorthand comment was misleading, sorry. In response to "why no letter of reference", you'd say "he was a hard person to get along with and I didn't ask for one".

Dawn, I did a lot of hiring and interviewing over the years. If someone tried to duck a question by responding with a kind of euphemism or double-talk like "looking for a new challenge", I'd probe further. If no better response to a second ping, I'd figure the person was hiding something and that put them into the "No" category for me. We'd always have three or more people interview each candidate and whether it was that or something else, job applicants who were evasive to one person were often evasive to others too (if even about something else) and the thumbs down reaction would rarely involve just one person.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

If you don't have a financial stake in this operation which you don't. you need to get out of there.

I would be leery of being tied up in this financial mess because, you know, if you've been there for those many years and were around during the sale, then you had to know something was fishy. Someone may be thinking that.

You really need to get out.

two25acres thanked blfenton
  • sephia_wa
    4 years ago

Where is two25acres? She started this post on Fri and lots of people have responded. Nothing from her after her initial post.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I did a lot of interviewing and hiring as well.

Personally, I'd rather someone give me a vague "looking for more challenges" than tell me about how their former boss was having an affair with his secretary and no one could get promoted unless the secretary approved and then one day the boss's wife marched into the office and made a big scene about the boss and the secretary and then started screaming at all of the employees who knew about it and didn't let her know and then the wife started trashing the office resulting in the police being called.

True story. The person who spilled the beans came highly recommended and the interview committee couldn't end that interview fast enough. I suspect the higher ups who gave this person a great recommendation did it so they could get rid of an employee who loved drama, wasn't very discreet and didn't exercise good judgment.

Other's may have had different experiences which is perfectly valid; my opinion is based on my experiences which are just as valid. There is no one size fits all.

two25acres thanked DawnInCal
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

We each bring along our own backgrounds as you say, dawn, and maybe this is an example that well demonstrates differences.

I was in a professional practice where absolute confidentiality, honesty, integrity, and truthfulness were expected of everyone at all times. No wiggle room.

One tactic in interviewing was to find resume vagueries about which (legally permitted) questions could be asked to get more specifics and to test an applicant's truthfulness. They were often the soft parts of the person's background. With practice one can get good at finding such things and more often than not, it was enlightening. Not the withheld information, but rather the applicant's reaction to being asked to be more specific about factual matters. If it was something as you described, I myself would have stopped them before they got too far, or uncomfortable, by saying the details didn't matter. What mattered to me was the effort to answer my follow-up question honestly.

• Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

I agree with everyone who says it’s time to move on. Didn’t you post a thread a week or so ago about how he wanted you to do something that you knew was wrong so you refused? Now the “financing” has fallen through? He’s probably lying but irregardless, whatever happened doesn’t really matter, the bottom line is that he needs to keep the doors open while he’s on vacation and he needs your help to do that. So what are you getting in return for helping him out? IMO, it’s only fair that he makes it worth your while by doubling your salary (so you get a paid vacation too) and there is nothing wrong with telling him that. If he’s not willing to pay the extra week for you to stay, then you really shouldn’t stay. The bottom line is that the business is his responsibility, not yours. He can choose to either cancel his vacation, pay the additional costs for you to stay or close the doors for the week while he’s gone. It’s really that simple.

As for the reference, you have 22 years on the job and are only leaving because of the changes in ownership, that pretty much speaks for itself.

two25acres thanked Lukki Irish
  • nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Well, it's Monday morning. I tend to see the world thru "rose colored glasses", so can imagine a few positive reasons why helping/working one more week is a good and right thing to do. Who knows for sure. Just hope you are feeling okay and have a good "final final" week, two25acres :-)

two25acres thanked nickel_kg
  • Suzieque
    4 years ago

Yes, where is two25acres? Are you at work today?

• two25acres
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's Monday and yes, I'm here. I made that commitment to him and I will see it out. It was very difficult coming in here but I did and I will use this time this week for me. I wanted to hone up on some of my job skills and I will be able to do that.

As for some of the feedback I'm hearing. For the financing, I've seen this happen only once in the past. Personally from what I have been hearing from the prospective buyer while he was in the office he was throwing out production projections of his licensed producers (what I do) that made no sense. They were beyond what I have produced at my best time with a book of business 3 times the size of this one. My guess is that he won't qualify no matter what unless he throws in some cash to offset the loan amount. When a prospective buyer signs on with this company they are required to have 100k in funds available to them for anything and everything that will come up and salaries. If he takes some of that to fund the loan he wont have the required funds. When this all fell through I asked the seller/my boss if he had a contingency written in the purchase contract for this. I also asked him if he was going to open the sale of the book to others, not just wait for this guy. His answers kind of surprised me, he didn't know if there was something in the contract nor did he know if he should open the sale up. Those are things I would have made sure happened. We were literally hours from being shut down. We have a lot of personal and financial information at our finger tips, because of that there is a lot of security to work on our systems. When an agent leaves he is shut out of everything.

Yes, he assumed I would just take over this week. My fault as I've allowed it in the past. It frustrates me yes, but I'm a loyal and responsible employee. Always have been. Some people appreciate that. His manager does and as a result he (the manager) has given me opportunities to further my education within this business. I can take that education with me so for that I'm appreciative. As for severance. Gratification. This man doesn't know what that is. I've know that about him and the way I see it, what goes around will come around. That's both sides of this coin. Letter of recommendation, I've been using some in the interview process. Some prospective employers look at them, some don't. I asked him for one - his response was he's not good at letter writing. Go ahead and make one up and I'll sign it. Well, that has it's pros and cons. I wrote myself a good one though and I have it in my possession. As for his vacation, he wont be here and that is a real blessing. I will take advantage of that time and work it for betterment to my skills. The timing is actually good for me to stay a bit longer. Hubby was supposed to be on the road for the first 2 weeks of this month but the hockey team he drives (motorcoach bus) won the first round of their playoffs and have home ice for the next round. They are in Alaska so they don't require him. He can be home resting and I will work. It's a win win for the short term.

I will continue to look for my new job and continue to learn more about this buying/selling process as I may be a part of it in the future - different agency. I could have purchased this one but it's an old book, not very large and unfortunately a good percentage is of a nationality that won't speak to me and will only work with the part timer we have in this office. My experience tells me that portion of the book (12%) will leave upon the sale when that part timer is no longer working here but perhaps elsewhere.

Thank you for all of the feedback.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

It sounds like you've given this a lot of thought and with your experience with the agency and the people who run it/work there have come to some pretty good decisions that work for you.

Have a good week and I hope you wind up in an agency that offers you challenges (good ones), great compensation and respect.

two25acres thanked blfenton
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

Your future looks bright! Concentrate on getting through the week....and I wish YOU the best!

• salonva
    4 years ago

And when the week is done I really hope you LEAVE.

Not your circus not your monkeys. To repeat my thoughts.

As I lukki pointed out, if you have been there 22 years (??) and he can't put together a recommendation letter, don't worry about it. I know when I would interview people if they had longevity somewhere that spoke volumes.

two25acres thanked salonva
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Sorry but this is a shocking decision, based on what you've said in this and the other thread.

• two25acres
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not sure what you think is shocking. It's business. A very large corporation. Not everything is perfect. Agents come and go because they don't know what they are doing. They haven't put the time in as I have to get what they want. They come in and think they are going to make money and not have to do much. That's a problem with people, not the company or product. I've put allot of time into this career, I am trying to make it work for me. I know the products, the policies, who to call for what. What's involved to be a success. I've learned from current agent what doesn't work. Previous agents taught me what does work. There's also jobs within the company, maybe not necessarily in the agencies.

I have many many customers that I've known for years. I have built relationships and now those are expanding to their kids and grand kids. I take my decision very seriously. Yes, I know that people can and do take advantage and my fault for some of that but at the same time the higher ups are well aware that I'm still here helping to keep things going.

I'm frustrated by all of this but I can also see that there is a reason for it. I may not know what that is right away but I will and I'm ok with that. I can vent my frustrations, admit my faults and recognize the possibilities and while putting it to people here I can get advice, hear other peoples thoughts but ultimately make the decision that works best for me. It's not easy but then again, the job hunt hasn't been easy either. I'm 58, live in a small town with my education coming from the school of hard knocks. I've been knocked down but with support I get back up, I may trip and stumble but I will get what I want.

Thank you everyone for your time and feedback.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

It’s shocking because a few days ago (and in earlier posts) you were elated to be leaving.

two25acres thanked maddielee
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

Career advice from a Billionaire Oprah Winfrey

She says there are no wrong paths....no failures....there may be a detour....

• two25acres
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And if the circumstances were different I would still be elated. I would have preferred things stayed the way they were headed but things happen and I have decided to roll with the punches. For me, that is actually saying something because I don't always handle change well. When this gets back on track and I have my last day here for real, I will probably be more elated but satisfied that I did what I could for everyone concerned - myself included. Who knows, this may open a door I wasn't anticipating. Will it remain difficult for me to come back daily, you bet but the next few days I will spend on me when I'm not taking care of customers.

• sephia_wa
    4 years ago

It's shocking for what Elmer and maddielee said, and for all the things you've written about in the past.

It's a form of abuse. Your boss didn't treat you well, didn't pay you well (reduced your salary by 35%), didn't give you any benefits, didn't give you paid vac. Who knows what else. You wrote about these things. And expressed elation about leaving.

Now you're defending your decision to stay, citing "loyalty."

You won't understand this because you're caught up in this abuse cycle. Abuse takes many forms. It's just not yelling, physical, etc. It's allowing someone to treat you poorly, and then you make up excuses for it to defend allowing it to continue.

You're allowing this because it's what you know and are comfortable with.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Sorry nicole. To me, Oprah's words would be more suitable coming from a pulpit at a religious meeting where people are looking for otherwise unsupported beliefs and "wishing it makes it happen" thoughts, all accepted blindly.

Destiny and fate are forces to consider? No wrong decisions? No failures? No wrong paths?

There is wrong advice, her words are an example for me.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Yes sephia, exactly. Abuse accepted repeatedly with rationalizations is exactly what I see. I wasn't going to say more but you let the cat out of the bag and I'm glad you did.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

Elmer......a LOT of people are "done" at age 50. Two has complained of her job and how she's been treated before, years ago. Some people are not going to believe-in-themselves and strike out on their own, confident they will succeed. Some will just get by in life. Some will not excel, or out-perform. They just want someone to listen, to be heard....while they tread water.....stay afloat. Not drowning is a goal for some.

• two25acres
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Abuse is a very strong word and having been beaten and strangled almost to death, I get abuse. You don't have to tell me about it. Physical, mental etc. This is my decision and I stand behind it. Not everyone will agree and that's ok. Isn't that what this forum is all about. I enjoy the feedback, the suggestions and the opinions even if we don't agree. I'm ok with that. I can walk out the door with my head up knowing I fought the fight and am a better person for it.

This agent didn't decrease my salary. I came from another agent that let me go because he could no longer afford me. This agent paid me what he paid me and I accepted it know that it wasn't his agency that would take me to retirement but he is a 42 year agent with a ton of knowledge in the insurance business and I knew I could learn more from him. I've also learned what not to do where running the business is concerned.

My elation is around the corner, I just don't know when it will be but I am working towards it. Everyone have a pleasant evening and thank you for all the input.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Good. While I think you haven't made good choices, I'm glad you accept (without agreeing to) other views. Best wishes.

• Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
    4 years ago

Two25acres, I believe that you are doing what you are able to live with. It's important that you can wake up in the morning and look yourself in the eye. I totally get that and understand you simply needed a place to vent and a sounding board. Appreciate the advice but do what you think is right for you 😊. Good luck!!!

two25acres thanked Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

I'm with you. I understand two. You know what's good for you. And living your life is what you need to do.

two25acres thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company