SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kberryfarm

HELP, need opinions on updating my living room, inexpensively!

Karla
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I think new end tables & possibly new lamps would brighten & update my living room immensely as everything is all the same color. Just wondering what style you would recommend. Thinking about iron based coffee table but not sure what I would to do on the end tables. Also, thinking to maybe just have 2-3 end tables vs. 4!! Also, not sure about lighter color on my walls?? Painting wood work and new couches/chairs is not an option right now. Thanks

Comments (60)

• User
    4 years ago

That room is all tan and brown right now. I think a new wall color and new rug would make a major impact. Perhaps white or off-white for the walls?

• Karla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

i love all ur ideas!! I'm definitely thinking lighter weight coffee table similar to the one celerygirl showed! Would my other end tables coordinate with that or do they need to be switched out too? Love the rugs shown, also & will def trade out the lamps/shades!

• Related Discussions

Update on My Living Room/Dining Room Renovation

Q

Comments (107)
    Still searching for something to fall in love with to put over my living room sofa. Some ideas but nothing I'm ecstatic about. Dining room still needs wall art too. I decided against the PB mirror. Searching, searching. Please post ideas if you have them. Thank you!
    ...See More

Help Needed with Living Room Update

Q

Comments (6)
    Here are some more pics Paint colour Fireplace with paint swatches and drapes SW Worldly Gray is on the bottom in the above pic. The middle darker colour is BM Revere Pewter (I think it's too green for this room) Fabric choices for chairs (in all the pics the drape is the bottom, couch on the left, paint chip in the middle and chair fabric on the upper right).
    ...See More

Help I want to update my living room but I do not know what to do.

Q

Comments (13)
    What's in the armoire? I would place it opposite the fireplace to serve as a visual counter balance to it. Then put your TV on the former armoire wall, above a credenza 25% wider than the TV. Hang large art 5" above the mantel. Use your sofa table behind the sofa without the buffet lamps (do you have a formal dining room for them?) Remove the bergere chair as it doesn't fit the casual feeling of the other seating pieces. Do you have a foyer where it would be pretty? Put the large armchair in its place. Try a new, more casual feeling rug and drapes. Replace all the other art and photos with new art. Hang pieces centered 5' above the floor or 5" above furniture. Upgrade all the lamps and add a nice ceiling fixture in place of the fan. If you like the idea of a mirror above the mantle, you could install a pretty chandelier to be reflected in it.
    ...See More

HELP! Need opinions on living room lighting and layout :(

Q

Comments (17)
    It's great that you opened up your space to make your piano part of your living room. For now, though, focus on the living room to make it inviting and comfortable. decoenthusiaste has a really good idea for your layout. Try that route first. Later on, you can fill in the piano space with bookshelves, another chair or two, with the piano as a centerpiece. You asked about glass coffee tables that would allow you to showcase an interesting patterened rug. Look for something up on legs, but with a substantial frame or base that will balance out your current sofa. But pick your armchairs first so you can try out possible layouts and see what coffee table shape will be most functional.
    ...See More
  • Karla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Other thoughts ideas for new wall color or above piano decor? . Everyone's ideas are definitely motivating me, thanks!!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I think celery's coffee table is much too fragile looking to stand up to the visual heft of the seating. I'd be in favor of eliminating all of your tables. If you pull all the seating up to a fairly large table, other tables won't be necessary for putting down your glass, etc. Some "C" tables would be handy for snacks, laptops, a book/reading glasses. I think additional lighting will have to be around the perimeter of the room. Perhaps a pair of interesting floor lamps flanking the piano and a piano light on it. You can add art lights when you install new pieces. And what about that ceiling light you already have? May we see it.

Karla thanked decoenthusiaste
  • sheryl nikpoor
    4 years ago

white crown moulding is the first thing I would put up. Choose a color scheme, use a pillow or a piece of art to get your color scheme. Put some colorful pillows on your sofas and a colorful throw. Paint your tables or sell them online and search for tables in home center, thrift stores, online, etc. I would put a larger square coffee table or square ottoman. Put a brightly colored rug down in the center of your furniture. Your curtains are actually ok, but you could put some colored sheers up between them (in the middle), they could match your color scheme, you can get them in Ikea and they are cheap. Remove the G's and put up a nice framed piece of art. Also, put a larger picture or a mirror above the couch.

Karla thanked sheryl nikpoor
  • Susan Davis
    4 years ago

All great ideas! Use the ones you love, choosing one at a time and go from there.....probably want to start with rug as that will give you a lot of color/pattern options, and I agree that it need not be a large rug, but color will draw your eye to it.....

Consider just painting the wall behind the sofa a paler version of a selected accent color; coordinate with pillows on love seat only as leather and pillows can be a challenge!

If you sew, a cushion in a simple geometric print on the piano bench can add more color around the room too.

Lastly iron on an accent color wide tape on the leading inside edge of your curtains for a bit more of color pop....use the same accent color in the room, just in varying degrees of saturation.

Karla thanked Susan Davis
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

Lose the mission chair, and pull the love seat and chairs opposite the couch closer in. A conversation area is 12x12, looks like you are closer to 16’. A pretty rug, crown, art, lighter lampshades, a throw, and you should be delighted without spending a lot!

Karla thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • Little Bug
    4 years ago

New drapes in a color not tan or brown. I like a forest green. But make sure the drapes don’t block the light - stack them beside the windows, not over the windows. Then a matching throw, pillows, and art that picks up the green. And plants, big ones.

Spindly-legged tables seem out of place next to your beefy solid furniture.

Karla thanked Little Bug
  • Karla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My ceiling lights are LED 'can' type lights both in the tray area & a strip along the piano area. Any lamps we have are just for visual & really don't get used.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

Deco is right about coffee table.

Karla thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

I would add a little emphasis to what several people have touched on ....move all the furniture into a tighter grouping...away from the walls...floating more in the center lf the room...where everyone is close enough in to have a conversation...a larger coffee table in the center to add to the more connected feel...

Karla thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

Maybe put a console table behind the love seat to add a little more definition and separation to the conversation group as well

Karla thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

The first rug suggestion size looked right..the contrast print is great...but more color would be more interesting... while at the same time offering color inspiration for accessories..curtains...an accent wall...art...etc

Karla thanked btydrvn
  • kristaj
    4 years ago

I would be on the same thought pattern as decoenthusiaste.
    Move your beautiful black armoire between your windows. If possible, I would remove your loveseat and all your tables from your living room...either sell or repurpose elsewhere in your home.
    Move sofa where loveseat used to be and move your two leather chairs across from sofa. Purchase a new large square coffee table for the middle of room for furniture to be grouped around. A nice style of coffee table for your room might be one with two levels of parquet wood(adds varied wood tones and texture) with a black iron base that would repeat the black of your armoire.
    Add some textured pillows and throws and accessorize square coffee table with a large round tray, maybe some round glass hurricane candle holders, and some stacked books etc.
    If possible, move your piano further right so that your mission glider chair could be placed in left corner by window. Hang a rectangular mirror above piano for some reflection in room.
    As budget allows, you could add a beautiful rug, floor lamp on right side of sofa or a sofa table with lamps.
    Live plants always add life to a room.

Karla thanked kristaj
  • Karla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am hesitant to remove any seating from the main conversation area as we do entertain lots of large groups. It's not uncommon for us to have 10 people in our living room & we already set up folding chairs for additional seating. https://www.houzz.com/user/kristaj

• vacox
    4 years ago

I like Deco's ideas, and kristaj's. This is a big room--I think you have room for all this furniture. Like others said, pull them all in around a large cocktail table--maybe an upholstered cocktail ottoman with trays that can be moved off, providing more seating on the ottoman. Also move the pieces around, try them in different places--sofa doesn't have to be on that wall. I like the sofa console table idea--something like this provides snack space, places for drinks, and even more seating: https://www.mylibertyfurniture.com/4-Piece-Console-Set--1-Console-3-Stools--422-OT-4PCS/?SelectedSKU=422-OT-4PCS

Karla thanked vacox
  • freedomplace1
    4 years ago

I think your sofa is great where it is. Also, from an Eastern Feng Shui perspective, I believe that is actually the best sofa placement in your room - i.e. sofa anchored on that wall. I believe that is the Command Position for your space. Plus, it's a nice setup for displaying your art there, over sofa. If you wanted to make a tighter grouping, you could move other pieces in closer. But I am thinking if you often have 10+ people in the room, you probably have it arranged very well, to allow for traffic and freedom of movement through the space. I think your instincts are very good; and ultimately, you are the best judge of what works in your room, for your purposes.

Karla thanked freedomplace1
  • Karla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Freshly painted!!! Is this layout an upgrade or downgrade? Excuse the extra end tables setting around. Also, my style is prob more farmhouse or gearing for modern farmhouse than some of the modern gold coffee tables shown previously. I know the coffee table has to go, but what style will tie it all together. And I know I also may need to pull everything in together more. Also, thoughts on a tripod floor lamp, similiar to this??

• Kathy Wright
    4 years ago

Wow! The painting made a huge difference. I like your new layout.

Karla thanked Kathy Wright
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

Looks much better! I would do a round coffee table, and/or get ones that nest so you can pull out the extra when you have lots of people over.

Karla thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • suezbell
    4 years ago

Like the piano, Would be better to totally unclutter the top of it rather than decorate it. If there is something you need at the piano (sheet music) find a way to keep it close w/o having it become clutter -- doesn't equate to decoration. You might keep on the lookout for a small chest or cabinet that could double as a plant stand that would fit left of the piano for storage. If you need light to the right of the piano, there are inexpensive floor lamps that work well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-72-Combo-Floor-Lamp-with-Adjustable-Reading-Lamp-Silver/12173433

Might consider grouping the "G" letters in threes -- three in this room and three elsewhere ... perhaps painted (silver, gold, black) (red, white, blue) -- something group of colors that you like.

• kulrn
    4 years ago

few ideas for coffee tables. Like the new wall color! few ideas for coffee tables. Like the new wall color!

Lexington Oyster Bay Coffee Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

Birch Lane™ Hibbert Coffee Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

Clover Coffee Table · More Info

Safavieh Maris Coffee Table | Domino · More Info

Monterey Coffee Table, Round Nesting - Furniture - Macy's · More Info

VIENNA ANTIQUE BRASS ROUND COCKTAIL TABLE · More Info

Karla thanked kulrn
  • drblount10
    4 years ago

I like the new wall color and all previous comments. I also thought farmhouse because of your eating area pictured.

Is the new console going to have a TV on itk

Layout: I am not sure

• Karla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No, it wouldn't have a TV on it! I'm not quite sure about the layout either?! It seems like there is a lot of 'chairs'/smaller pieces on half of the room & that the couch anchored the larger wall when it was there b4. I may end up changing it back ;|

• Karla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Previously I've had the left picture in my living room; just wondering if it would be too funky/odd to put some colorful animal pictures similiar to the right in my living room?! Prob would look for a dog/goat/pig pic as we have those animals on our farm. WOULD that be too crazy for a living room?? or am I better of sticking more traditional??

• drblount10
    4 years ago

Very sorry about my post before, I dropped the phone!
    Layout: Is the new console going to have a TV on it? If so, the reclining love seat might be better facing it. The 2 club chair recliners then on the side in front of the windows. The mission rocker, I am not sure where it would look best.

Color would really make this great room great. The soft and hard furniture are all the same color. The drapes are the same color as the walls before. I would work in a color for drapes, a few pillows, some art, a rug, and a painted chair or 2 at the dining table. A green pillow or 2 would pull the mission rocker together with the rest of the room. I would look for a new look for the hard furniture, then a rug. Keep us updated on your new family room!

• Karla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Actually, the console isn't new. I made it a few years ago & had it behind the dining room table. Wanting to simplify things & may not even end up using it either place?! No, there will NOT be a TV on the console.

• drblount10
    4 years ago

Good morning Karla! Houzz is getting me through being off work for Coronavirus. I sincerely hope you and your family are well.

Just saw your posts. I must be honest: if there is no TV in there, I like the layout before better, to just bring the furniture in closer together. The console could be a sofa table on that wall for new lamps, maybe.

The cow picture has the most color. I am rooting for some color in there. If you like it, try it out! Keep us posted.

Karla thanked drblount10
  • drblount10
    4 years ago

Just thought of something: if you actually have a farm, a vintage farm sign or 2 might be an idea. Also, try shopping through your house for art, pillows, or rugs. Try them out in the family room to see what you like.

Karla thanked drblount10
  • PRO
    Coldwell Banker RPM
    4 years ago

I love your drapes. They look expensive and nice color. You definitely need color in the room. Could you exchange your mission style chair with an upholstered piece your using somewhere else in the house? I love the console table it looks farmhouse good me. Havertys has some beautiful art work that would work in your space. I think we will see a lot of sells for retail (unfortunately). Try Ballards Design sale tab on line.
    Just thoughts.

• Karla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just curious, is there a better way for me to post updates & progress than just commenting on my own thread?

• vacox
    4 years ago

I think usually posting updates and progress on your own thread is how it's down. I had a thread a number of years ago that has 200+ comments. People will happen along and read through the whole thing later on... :-)

• kulrn
    4 years ago

Keep updating this thread and we all will get notifications. Not everyone will catch a new post.

• PRO
    Carol Jean
    4 years ago

I'm curious why you haven't pulled furniture in closer like most suggested

• PRO
    Carol Jean
    4 years ago

I'm curious why you haven't pulled furniture in closer like everyone said

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

just saw your comment about putting the animal art in the living room.... love that idea... the room could use some spontaneity and fun and colorful art would be awesome!

• drblount10
    4 years ago

Hello Karla, hope you and the family are well. Any updates?

• Karla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My family & I are doing well! Haven't made a lot of progress as I haven't gotten out & did much shopping! :) have ordered a few things online. .

Right now I'm struggling with which way to go, I like both ideas:

1. Neutral & really texturize

OR

2. add pops of color?? like boho textures & fun goat pic

• Karla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I sold all the dark end tables & have this coffee table bench that I plan to recover according to which style I end up going. neutral vs. pops of color. Will this work? Could go neutral & texturize or bohemian textures. . I did pull all my furniture in closer too & painted the living room. The pillows I have are just in the pic for now until I just which direction I'm going to style things. .

Thought on Which Lamp?

LAMP #1

LAMP #2

W

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

you have already done alot, IMO. room is coming along great and what a difference without the heavy feeling tables. the new one looks great, perfect mix of your farmhouse feel and has a more lighter feeling. I like the second floor lamp because it brings in a new lighter wood tone. cant wait to see more as you progress.

• drblount10
    4 years ago

This layout is spot on! It already looks brighter and warmer in there thanks to the walls and curtains. I like both lamps, the style is updating the traditional look. The neutral textured boho look will blend with curtains and walls. It will make it warmer and less formal. You can still include color in a throw or rug. I like your family room! Keep us posted.

• freedomplace1
    4 years ago

Very nice. I'm glad you went w/ your original layout. :)

Love the floor lamps; I think I like first one the best for your space, but they are both nice, and they both work.

Love the goat! So much fun. You could mix in a couple of velvets in your pillows, with whichever way you decide to go, neutral or color. Velvet works well with leather. And you could still do neutral in pillows, etc., even with colorful art if you want to. You don't have to necessarily pull colors from art for other decor, art can stand on its own. But you could also incorporate art colors if you would like to, of course.

Your space is really looking great. Love your ideas and the direction you're going in.

Below, a bit of Boho/Boho Chic.

Above, some velvets.

Pillow Decor, Venetian Velvet Golden Brown Throw Pillow 12x19 · More Info

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Hello Karla, any updates?

Karla thanked drblount10
  • Karla
    Original Author
    3 years ago

These are 2 pics to show some of the updates! It’s taken me awhile & still working on some things. i Debated wether to change the curtains but found those on the right & think It’ll be worth the expense. .eventually as funds allow I’d like to replace The loveseat with a lighter fabric version & keep my eyes open for an area rug. .thanks for all the great ideas!!

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

It looks great. I love all the textures and patterns!

Karla thanked katinparadise
  • Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

agree it looks great with all the texture and pattern. i we just noticing your gorgeous views and was thinking bringing in some greenery in some way would bring in an organic feeling. maybe some faux stems in a vase for the console at the window, or a real tall plant or both real and faux. just thinking an idea to take advantage of the view and bring the outside in with a couple small touches.

Karla thanked Theresa Janssen
  • salonva
    3 years ago

Wow you have been busy! It really looks so inviting now!

Karla thanked salonva
  • freedomplace1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It looks great! 👍

You mentioned a rug is on your agenda for the future. So just some inspiration. (I hope. :))

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Wow! I like this new direction! It looks fresh and very now! The grey, baskets, and curtains lighten the look from heavy traditional to casual elegance! Can't wait to see the new curtains and rug!

Karla thanked drblount10