SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorys_prentice

Help with layout on rental remodel

Dorys Prentice
4 years ago

Hello,

Looking for some opinions on what to do with a rental house we just purchased that is being renovated. The current house has 3 beds 1 huge open room and 2 baths. The master bed/bath also has a walk-in closet laundry room combo. The bath is tiny, ~ 6' x 6'. The laundry room requires people to go through the master to use it. Fine if we rent to a single family, not so great if we rent to college students.

My thought was close off the big open room, add a closet and partition off a small space for a stackable washer/dryer combo. Then I can move the wall between the current laundry/master bath over a bit to give more room to the master bath and create a smaller walk-in closet.

Adding a 4th bedroom adds $$ to rental revenue. However, we may want to sell the place in the future so I'm trying to think of what would be preferable in a sale down the road.

A little more info. The 2nd living room and open room are a converted garage. The master is an addition added many years later.

I've added some very rough photoshop drawings of both options. Very rough so I don't need detailed discussion on what appliance goes where, just thoughts on these two layouts with rental and possible future sale.

Current layout

Proposed Layout

Comment (1)