SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Pre-Sifted Flour

plllog
4 years ago

I don't peruse the flour shelves much, but I was looking for some in a different color package and had to look three times. Meantime, I saw several different brands that say pre-sifted. That sounds weird. How do you pre-aerate packaged flour that's shipped in cartons, stacked, shelved, put in the bottoms of grocery bags, etc. So I tried to look it up, and couldn't even find listings for it on the websites of the brands that sell it. There's plenty about how to sift or how not to bother, and a few blurbs that seem written by copywriters rather than bakers.

Do you know what it's about? I haven't been able to find any substantive discussion of it.

The only thing I can think of that makes any sense should have been findable on the web, unless this is a really new thing: At least two major brands have an Orthodox Union kosher mark. That's the most accepted one. Flour is kosher by nature, so the certification is for the cleanliness and appropriateness of the mill and packer. BUT, before using the flour, someone of a particularly religious bent must sift it to find impurities. Stones, twigs, bug/pest leavings, etc. Very few people do this anymore because the flour we get here and now is fine. Some people do still sift the whole bag as it goes in the canister, and high speed electric sifters for the purpose are made for the purpose and sold. I don't know if the OU mark on pre-sifted flour means you don't have to sift it. They do say that USA flour is processed in a way that ensures no infestations, and that that isn't necessarily true in Israel but I couldn't find out about pre-sifted. So I don't know if this idea that pre-sifted is for exceedingly religious Jewish housewives is accurate or totally wrong.

Have you ever used pre-sifted flour? Is it really still aerated in the bag? Does it compact like normal flour? Do you know what's up?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio