SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

Mirror reflections

Jilly
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I’m not referring to anyone or any thread specifically, just asking in general: what do you think mirrors are supposed to reflect in a room?

I see it almost daily — advice to replace a mirror, or no way! don’t hang one, because it’s not reflecting ... something. Waterfalls in Hawaii? Mountain ranges in New Mexico? The ocean somewhere in Bali? Keanu Reeves? I mean, no one ever says what your mirror should reflect, just what it shouldn’t reflect, i e, anything in your house.

It makes no sense to me. I’m not asking in a rude or snarky way, I’m genuinely curious as to everyone’s thoughts. I love mirrors for the depth they bring to a room, the reflections of light, being something different than the usual art, etc. Unless it’s reflecting a trash can or litter box, I’m not sure why it’s so “wrong” to have a reflection of the room. (I know it’s not a good idea in every single case — in a very busy-looking room, for instance — I’m just talking about in normal circumstances.)

Genuinely interested in hearing thoughts on this. I miss the fun, thoughtful, and educational design discussions this board used to have.

Comments (71)

• User
    4 years ago

What?? Who you talkin' to? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ahhh! Kitty! I love when they get right in our faces. :D

• Related Discussions

edit plan for Master bath mirror reflections

Q

Comments (1)
    Maybe put the sinks on either side of the bathtub? I saw that done recently in a model home and it worked.
    ...See More

Thinking about a mirror on wall opposite of medicine cabinets?

Q

Comments (2)
    I recently added a new 18 x 24 inch mirror on the wall opposite the sink/medicine chest. At first I thought it was a frivolous luxury but I find I really use the new mirror a lot because it is easy to get close to it when putting on makeup (instead of leaning over the sink to get closer to the medicine chest mirror.) The new mirror is on a pivot, so I can see more of myself (even though it is a small mirror). So it has turned into a very functional luxury.
    ...See More

I decided to go with a mirror over my entry buffet :) (Sorry Long

Q

Comments (12)
    Lightly .. OMG!! I've tried everything to get that tape off. I can't believe they put it on there like that. It is very VERY dried on there. The tape is so dried even little bits won't come off. I have tried repeated soakings, vinegar etc. dish soap. I'm going to go get some Goo Gone. Can I get goo gone at walmart you think? Teacats.. thanks! Whew.. I am relieved it looks good. Yes I am going with a pair of tall thin buffet lamps on either side. I have a bunch saved on my list LOL.. The buffet lamps will be another post muhaha Okay you guys have me feel great now. the height seems okay?
    ...See More

what style is this mirror?

Q

Comments (6)
    It could work, but a mirror over a sofa is usually not the best choice. Art and color help spaces more than mirrors. Funny, but the finish of the frame of the mirror looks like the finish on the sofa fabric. Probably need to mix it up a bit if you choose a mirror. More photos of the room would be helpful.
    ...See More
  • Paul NY 5b-6a
    4 years ago

The mention of personal photos being a no-no for "public" areas of the home reminds me of a thread where someone mentioned being offended at seeing books out in non-bedroom areas of the house. I've seen and heard a lot of things people take offense to, but that one really surprised me!

I think that some people mistake staging advice for decorating advice. If you are trying to sell a home, family photos need to be removed because you want potential buyers to visualize their family in the house, not yours. This may also apply to any decor that is so highly distinctive that it could cause others to think that it is a house for people who are not at all like them.

As for books, I once heard a home stager say that the ideal number of books to have in view when selling a house is zero, unless you're in a college town, because most people own no books and you don't want them to think that the house is only for professors or librarians.

However, neither of these is good decorating advice when you are planning to continue living in the house.

Jilly thanked Paul NY 5b-6a
  • User
    4 years ago

because most people own no books and you don't want them to think that the house is only for professors or librarians

LOL! I don't believe I know ANYONE who doesn't own books. "Professors or librarians" -- ? That home stager sounds rather moronic to me!

Jilly thanked User
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Love all kitty pics. There is no “rule” on mirrors that I know of. Main thing is does the mirror enhance the space either decoratively, style-wise, functionally or light-wise. I love mirrors of all kinds. What I don’t like is a mirror say over a fireplace reflecting a builder grade ceiling fan. Something like that is a no-no in my book. My fav is a mirror over fireplace that reflects a stunning chandelier. Your kitty/mirror eyes bathroom shot is amazing, fun, functional and so darn creative I just love that.

Jilly thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Re: books ... even worse, I saw a show a while back, suggesting covering every single book with thick, griege paper. So they’d coordinate and not be too colorful. 🙄

Flo, thanks for your thoughts! I enjoy reading them.

I want that kitty eyes mirror so bad. Maybe someday. 😄

• cawaps
    4 years ago

I have a mirror in my foyer, for checking myself before I walk out the door, and one over my fireplace, because that's what they did in 1910 and it's integral to the mantel. As a general decorating principle I think that people should stop and think about what a mirror is going to reflect before they commit to using one in their decor, but I'm not going to tell them they can't, or shouldn't.

The vitriolic reaction to clocks in decor also gets my goat ("Do you want your guests to think you are ticking off the minutes until they leave?! For shame!"). I rarely have guests, but have to get my child out the door and to school on time on a daily basis. So yeah, I'm thinking I need a clock.

Jilly thanked cawaps
  • Paul NY 5b-6a
    4 years ago

A client once asked Dorothy Rodgers, who was decorating her living room, "How many books do you think I'll need?"

• Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, cawsps! I forgot about the clock hate here. 😆

I’ll be honest .... I miss the creativity and originality that used to be shared here. I miss that people even want to share at all. I’ve read so often recently, “Nope, I’m not putting my house on here, no way!” Mainly because someone just wants to ask about one thing, but gets numerous posts aggressively stating everything in the entire room, house, their life, their marriage, etc is wrong. Imo, unless an OP says to go ahead and say anything, I try to stick to the question. Because maybe they like that clock or whatever. Maybe they have to work with what they have. But there’s little room here for different styles anymore, it seems. I’ve seen a “pro” insult someone’s finished decor the person was excited about sharing, and when asked why, admitted because they hate that particular style and only know and like *one* kind of decor. Then scroll on by! No one was asking! It’s bizarre. I don’t think anyone is purposely being mean, not at all, just forgetting that there are real people with all different backgrounds and lives here. (I do think egos are a big factor at times, too.)

I see it as:

Design Dilemma: quick questions from OPs wanting “pros” to design their home for free. Mostly OPs just needing instant help, never coming back. More of a social media format, like Yahoo answers. Houzz hopes and prays said OPs will spend money. Pros hope for business from it.

Home Decorating, GW style: a sense of community. Regulars/others sharing projects and thoughts, here because of a passion for decorating. Asking, answering, learning, teaching. More in-depth discussions. More appreciation for variety. Old-time message board feel. Feeling among friends, sharing as such. Lifestyle format.

They're just not the same and I wish they’d stay separate. Only people who were here before Houzz will understand what I mean.

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

"There's little room here for different styles anymore."

Sigh.... I have a love-hate relationship with Houzz because of this. I want to see rooms with outside the box decor but that is rarely seen here. I also want to see mirrors, family photos, art and a range of bold and vivid colors all in the same space. Imagine that!

My kitchen sink has a window above it. I hate that window. I have been toying with the idea of covering it with a mirror. The reflection will be of whoever is lucky enough to be the dishwasher for the evening. This post reminded me that I should try it out.

Jilly thanked ilikefriday
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ilikefriday, I’m so glad you share your rooms/projects! Love your threads. :)

I shared my music room rug search (don’t let the fancy name fool you, it’s a tract house spare bedroom) knowing some would see my decor and want to gag. I don’t care. It’s our style, we love it, I got great advice from people I respect, it’s all good. :)

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    4 years ago

I too miss the days when almost all replies tried to understand what the OP wanted to accomplish, and stuck to the question. I will probably not post any pictures when my project is completed, because I won't be sympathetic to reading "Every single thing in that room is horrid - rip it all out," or "You should have used white subway tiles."

• Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Paul, ignore it, I want to see your project! :)

Hey, I was “brave” (lol) enough to post a very western/Southwestern room with beige carpet and gold walls today. Nothing can be as bad as that around here! 😆

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

@Paul NY 5b-6a

When I post my space and get comments to change this or that I tend to take a peek at the profile of the person making the comments. If I can dig up photos of their space and see that we have similar styles then I give the comment some weight. If someone who is a minimalist with a completely opposite design esthetic tells me I need to change everything, I hit the thank you button and ignore. Years ago, a Houzz pro told me that my piano area was all wrong and everything needed to go. This person had a few rooms that she had designed attached to her profile. While her designs were fabulous, they were not my style at all. I am not trying to fit a traditional look into my eclectic decor. I want to keep it eclectic so I skipped what she had to say. I am pretty confident with eclectic. I would have to completely change my decorating thought process to get to traditional. To post photos here you must have thick skin and be willing to politely ignore what is not useful. That being said, like Jinx, I would love to see your space.

• kulrn
    4 years ago

Love this kind of discussion! How about 2 mirrors for a design faux pas! When I realized, I did get motivated to get some art, it was a fun dilemma for me to post so much interesting art to browse Learned a lot about size/scale/height....

And by the way, does anyone know what happened to groveraxle???

Home: before and after · More Info

My Home Pics · More Info

Jilly thanked kulrn
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like your room, Kulrn! Awesome light fixture!

I miss Grover, too! And the Basset Hound. :)

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

@kulrn

Forget the mirror reflection. I love that chandelier reflection!

• User
    4 years ago

Clearly there remain some here who value the unique, personal, quirky, "outside the box" in home design. I think I've gotten fairly adept at identifying them, and I always feel an affinity for their posts and want to call them "my peeps." I too have really conflicted thoughts about Houzz and lament the demise of the old GW, but I hope the outliers will continue to participate here with the same confidence as always, because there are some of us who thrive on the inspiration that these unabashedly bold souls bring to the table.

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes!

(We need to get-together. We need to meet new kitty. I’m inviting us over, yes.) 😂

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    4 years ago

When I post my space and get comments to change this or that I tend to take a peek at the profile of the person making the comments.

Yes, ilikefriday, that is a good idea. I have been watching for patterns in other threads, too, such as a person who always says to rip out everything, or always says to paint everything white.

Jinx, maybe I will post under a pseudonym.

• Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Paul, post under Luap YN. 😄

If you feel like saying, where in NY? Mr Jinx is from Long Island. Moved to Texas in ‘12. :)

• User
    4 years ago

Oh, Jinx, we DO need to get together! With or without the boys. :)

Paul, I too hope you will share your project! Don't let "them" control this place.

Jilly thanked User
  • Paul NY 5b-6a
    4 years ago

where in NY?

Finger Lakes

• Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve been wanting to visit the Finger Lakes area! He’s taken me to The Gunks for climbing, and my late husband and I used to haul horses all over NY.

Last visit in ‘11, we climbed and hiked around the Mohonk Mountain House.

• kulrn
    4 years ago

Looks like a thread was started looking for groveraxle and she posted a response:

groveraxle

Hi, Oly and bb. Thanks for thinking of me. No cruise. Just taking a break. ;-)

Jilly thanked kulrn
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Oh, don’t get me going on clocks! Lol lol.

Jilly thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m going to sneak over to Flo’s house tonight ... instead of toilet papering her yard, I’m going to hang a giant clock in every room. I need volunteers to help.

~~~~ tick tock tick tock tick tock ~~~~

• ladma
    4 years ago

I bought a mirror for my mudroom, to have for a quick check as I headed out the door, then I discovered that it reflected my kitchen counter and sink, and if my housekeeping was lacking that day, the last thing I saw as I bolted out the door was my mess. When I returned it, the store asked why. I got a funny look when I told them I didn’t like the reflection. My dad was trained as a watch and clock maker. I have a few.......

Jilly thanked ladma
  • Paul NY 5b-6a
    4 years ago

Here's a photo that I'm having printed to hang in the room that I'm working on.

Photo Library · More Info

And here's a clock that will be on a shelf below it (not this shelf, though):

• Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve been looking for a vintage style clock for my night table ... I have a pair of vintage lamps in there my Mema gave me over 20 yrs ago.

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    4 years ago

Oh - the room will also have a mirror in it. It's a bathroom.

• ncmomtothree
    4 years ago

I have been on GardenWeb (off and on) for many years-most of the time just enjoying other’s spaces and the help offered. The DD forum seems to be mostly for paint color help and help me find this fixture and why won’t my furniture fit in this room. I think that’s fine. I love all the comments about mirrors and big clocks and giant pictures of family members over the couch. Personally, I hate 40 x 60 canvasses of your kids staring at me in the LR but it’s YOUR house not mine. So go with what makes your heart sing but understand design is personal so when you ask about your mirror on the bedroom ceiling a lot of people are gonna shoot it down 😆. No cats over here because cats can read your soul. Just one big, old man lying in the sun today.

Jilly thanked ncmomtothree
  • ilikefriday
    4 years ago

@Jilly piqued my curiosity. The second time you have led me down a path in as many weeks. CB2 light fixture.

My kitchen window overlooks my back yard. The problem is I live in an urban area where the homes are built right next to each other. The window looks at the back of my neighbors home, which is about 6 feet away. The specific part of their home is underneath their deck.

I decided to cover the area with a mirror and to see how it looks. What do you think? The alternative is to keep the window as is. The blinds are only open when the plant needs sunshine. Plus those blinds are a PITA to clean.

Which way looks better? If you walked into my kitchen would you think I was totally nuts?

• Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ncmom, he’s such a cutie! Love your room, too!

ilikefriday, I seriously think the mirror is a cool look in your house. It evokes very glam retro kitchens I remember growing up. You come up with the best ideas! I’d have never thought of that! It’s always a treat to see your home.

I say just live with it a while and see how it feels. You might end up missing “outside” (even though it’s not the best view), you might not. It does open up the room! Love the dimension it gives.

• K Laurence
    4 years ago

I’d lose the blinds & replace with a solar shade, depending upon % , you could admit light , see out, but not see in when you want privacy. That’s what I have on a 20’ wide expanse of floo to ceiling windows.

Jilly thanked K Laurence
  • User
    4 years ago

Friday, I actually like the mirror there! It seems to somehow lend a finished, sophisticated touch to this already super-cool space. (But if I ever get to come and visit you, I'm going to stand in front of it and stare at myself while I chew, and THAT'll teach ya.)

Jilly thanked User
  • ilikefriday
    4 years ago

Thanks for the comments @Jilly, @K Laurance, @User

All I could think of this morning while doing the dishes and looking in the mirror are the lyrics:

I do my hair toss
    Check my nails
    Baby how you feelin'?
    Feeling good as hell

I guess the mirror makes you feel forced to look at yourself. So, @User while you are watching yourself chew I will be flinging my hair all over the place and pretending to have a voice like Lizzo. All while playing the flute and washing the dishes. I think that will reflect the perfect image. Friday and Ida doing their thing. LOL

• eastautumn
    4 years ago

That mirror looks amazing in your kitchen, ilikefriday! I never would have thought of blocking a window, but it looks really cool. Have you ever checked out Victoria Elizabeth Barnes' blog? Just thought of it because she will also have a cool mirror over her kitchen sink.

Jinx, I love that old lamp! There was recently a very similar pair of lamps on our local Craigslist that I was so tempted to buy, but alas I couldn't think of where to use them.

Here's my narcisistic, mirror-loving kitty. He never passes up an opportunity to check himself out.

I must admit he's pretty handsome ;)

And a picture of our not-so-vain kitties. The all black one, Friday, passed away in December just shy of his 20th birthday.

Jilly thanked eastautumn
  • ilikefriday
    4 years ago

@eastautumn

Thank you! I had never heard of the blog you mentioned but I did check it out. Now I need to get my hands on a square piano and a bigger kitchen to put it in. Love it - both the mirror and the piano!

Truth be told, my dh did look at me sideways when he saw I was covering the window. That's ok. I always hated that window anyway.

• Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

eastautumn, oh, your kitties are So sweet! They’re making a heart shape there. ❤️

I’m so sorry for the loss of your precious black kitty. :(

Re: lamps ... thank you! I have an obsession with lamps. I have way too many! My most prized treasure is a beautiful cut crystal lamp that’s been in my family for at least 100 yrs. My grandmother passed it to me because she said even as a very young child, I was enthralled with it. :)

Excuse the awful picture quality, it’s cloudy and gray out. I have to keep it safe in the corner of my breakfast hutch because .... can you guess? .... CATS. 😸Someday I’ll have it out on my entry table. It does still work, but the cord is in sketchy shape, so I need to have it re-done.

• Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Instead of bumping my other thread, I’ll share here. I love that this thread has turned into a share and chat one. :)

My Kilim rug came today! I am SO impressed with it! The quality, the colors. It’s exactly what I’d been wanting for a long time. (We’re renting this house, can’t change carpet ... this is our music room/office/western memorabilia room.)

I just wanted an accent/throw rug, but most were too lightweight. This one is a perfect weight.

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

Jinx the rug is beautiful! I love the chair too.

• Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! My dad gave me the chair a while back, he had it in his office. :)

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

Where did you find the rug?

• Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I got it from eSaleRugs. It was an excellent deal: free shipping and under $100.

Here are similar ones:

https://esalerugs.com/3x5-kilim-sumak-rugs-price-99

They have lots of gorgeous Kilim rugs on the site, all sizes and price ranges:

https://esalerugs.com/kilim-sumak-rugs

• User
    4 years ago

Beautiful rug, Jinx! It's the perfect accent for your wonderful room!

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Ida! Our NOC 2 is liking it ... I caught her scratching it already. SIGH. (She’s from the same house as NOC The Original.)

Check out this site ... I just discovered it and already see ten things I want. There’s a purse and several pillows calling my name. :D

https://www.kilim.com/kilim-wiki/whatskilim

https://www.kilim.com/detail/k0010270-kilim-shoulder-bag

This is NOC 2, Minka The Tortitude (on our patio rug).

• eastautumn
    4 years ago

Jinx, what a cool little lamp! It reminds me of the beach as it sort of has a jellyfish look to it :) I'm also lamp obsessed and especially love antiques. My dad used to rescue old lamps people would set out with their trash. I found it mortifying as a kid, but was all to happy to take some of the the ones he rewired along with me when I set up my first apartment. One of my favorites has a nightlight in the base which I adore.

Great choice on the rug; it looks so at home in your cozy room!

Thank you... I love that kitty heart picture because it captures what a love bug Friday was :) That's the only time they configured themselves like a heart, and I was lucky to snap a picture before they reconfigured themselves.

ilikefriday, glad you enjoyed the blog! What's not to love about another mildly neurotic decor-obsessed cat lover? :-D

Jilly thanked eastautumn
  • User
    4 years ago

Love anything kilim! Love Minka too! She's a little doll! Oh, and your patio rug is yum as well.

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, ladies! :)