Hild by Nicola Griffith

laceyvail 6A, WV

Some years ago (maybe 10) Griffith wrote this fine novel about St. Hilda, 7th century. But it was supposed to be the first in a trilogy; in this first one, she has just married, and is certainly not yet Abbess of Whitby. Does anyone know what happened and why the other two were never written? And if they ever will be? It's so rare to find quality fiction set in this period, and this one was exceptionally good.

SaveComment18Like
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vee_new

Laceyvail I have to admit I had neither heard of Hild nor Nicola Griffith so had to look her up. Certainly the book looks interesting,

The site below might help you. N G seems to have many irons in the fire and as she suffers from MS maybe has had to slow down.

Nicola Griffith

Save    
vee_new

Just to add I checked in the library catalogue for our county and amazingly found they have a copy of Hild on the shelves at our local branch. I have reserved it.

I once went on a 'walking holiday' staying at the Abbey House in Whitby . .. it stands on the site of the original abbey on a very high windy cliff. It was in April and I don't think I have ever been so cold. It was a huge place with no central heating!

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Vee, I did find Nicola Griffith's site but didn't see until now that I could email her directly, so I just did. I'll let you know what I hear--if I hear anything.

No central heating--Oh, so British! You folks are tough!

Save    
ci_lantro

From Griffith's site: Most of the time she is happily lost in the seventh century (writing the second novel about Hild, Menewood),...

So, the next installment is in the works.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

And my sister, who's good at tracking stuff down, said that Menewood is scheduled to be published in 2021. At 75, I'm wondering if I'll get to read the last one. (Grin)

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Thanks for making us aware of this. I love reading of that time period and will definitely look for "Hild." I love the part of the review that said it is like "Game of Thrones" without the dragons.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Oh, far, far better writing than Game of Thrones. And I can list a number of books from that general period, if you're interested. Of course, most of Rosemary Sutcliff's wonderful YA novels run from late Roman Britain to about the 7th or 8th centuries. Let me know if you want me to list more.

1 Like Save    
vee_new

I'd second Rosemary Sutcliff's work. I recently 'found' my copy of Knight's Fee which was a 12th birthday present and I hate to admit it but I had never got around to reading it. It must have followed me during several 'moves' then just sat on a distant shelf, gazing at me with sorrowful eyes.

A comment here at RP made me pick it up and read it. laceyvail, when you consider that you and I are the same age, it was some wait . . . but worth it!

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Vee, that's so funny. And for some reason, I never found Sutcliff's books when I was growing up. I only discovered them a few years ago, and have read them all--several times. She also wrote a very few books for adult readers; I think The Flowers of Adonis, about Alkibiades, is as good as anything Mary Renault ever wrote about Greece. But no one has ever heard of it.

Try Sutcliff's other books for YA; Knight's Fee is good, but not her best, I think. Eagle of the Ninth is her best known work; though historians of the period no longer believe in the disappearance of the Ninth Legion beyond the Wall, it's still a wonderful tale.

Save    
carolyn_ky

I've only read one of Rosemary Sutcliff's books, The Sword at Sunset, a different take on King Arthur. I really liked it and have read it more than once, but somehow never read any others. I'll add her to my list.

Laceyvail, did you mean you are 75 or the author is? Because 75 seems pretty young to me. I haven't read that book either and will add it as well.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

This is the response I got from Nicola Griffith:

I'm delighted you liked HILD! Will you ever see MENEWOOD (Book 2)? Yes. I've written a lot
already but it's turning out to be a truly massive novel, far far longer than I
expected. Which means of course that it's taking a long time. It doesn't help
that meanwhile I've also completed a PhD and published an entirely different
novel. But I'm now wholly focused on the sequel. I'm guessing you'll see it in
a couple of years—at least I hope so. As for Book 3, there will be one, but
when is anyone's guess.

Nicola

So nice of her to respond, and so promptly.

And Carolyn, I'm 75. As a former teacher of writing, I'm very careful about misplaced modifiers--if I write, "At 75," it MUST be followed by the name or pronoun of the one who is 75 (in this case, me) (Grin).

Save    
carolyn_ky

Ah, you are just a child. I'm 83 and will be 84 in July. I'm not sure how that happened to a nice girl like me.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Been a long time since I was thought of as a child. Very nice to hear this morning on my 75th birthday!

Save    
vee_new

Many Happy Returns Laceyvail. Prepare to blow out all those candles!

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Thanks, Vee. No cake or candles for me today, but I'm going with a friend for lunch at a definitely -better-than-most Mexican restaurant that's not too far away in our very rural area. And they have good beer! (Even though it's lunch.)

2 Likes Save    
msmeow

Happy birthday, Laceyvail! Mexican is my cuisine of choice for birthdays, too. A few years ago my DH and I were visiting my sister in DC and a bunch of us went to Uncle Julio's to celebrate our birthdays (hers is two days before mine). We had a chocolate piñata for dessert! :)

Donna

Save    
carolyn_ky

Happy Birthday! I'm going to Florida with my two best friends from high school (believe it or not) soon, so today I had a slice of Key Lime pie just to practice up. It just happened to be in the deli of the produce market where I went to buy some healthy fruit. Lime is a fruit, right?

3 Likes Save    
vee_new

Carolyn, lime is full of vitamin C as is that thin slice of lemon in a G&T so bound to be good for you.

1 Like Save