SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_503181684

Badly needed kitchen remodel -- HELP!!

K Hays
4 years ago

After 15 years, we’re finally ready to remodel our kitchen. I am overwhelmed by the choices and second-guessing myself so I kindly ask for your help & advice.

1. Our aesthetic leans more to the midcentury modern style.

2. We plan on being in this house for life so resale value isn’t really a priority for us.

3. We’re using the same appliances as shown in the pics except for a new dishwasher (stainless).

4. Cabinets: Slab doors, euro style. I’d like base cabinets (drawers) in black with a visible grain-y texture (similar to Ikea Tingsryd) and uppers in ash or other light-colored wood (similar to Ikea Askersund).

• One contractor (a friend) is trying to steer us away from a full overlay cabinet. He says they’re difficult to install correctly and would recommend a partial overlay (very small gap). Thoughts?

5. The layout will pretty much stay the same as pictured. I’ve attached a couple of sketches of my proposed layout.

Door leads to laundry room which may or may not be remodeled depending on cost of kitchen.

Drop ceiling will be removed (nothing inside it).

Fridge will shift to the right and oven & microwave will shift to left.

Thin base cabinet (9"?) will go to right of oven.

Slide out pantry to left of fridge (I have *just* enough room to not block window (24")

Cabinet above fridge will be as deep as the fridge (so other cabs on that wall will be recessed)

Light colored butcher block counter (to match upper cabs) between the fridge & stove and to the right of the stove. I’m doing this b/c hot pans on quartz, right?

white quartz counter w/ black veining

Undermount stainless single sink

Upper cabinets will go to ceiling

Should we have sink centered on wall?

This wall will be taken down from door frame to where drop ceiling is (about 2/3 of wall will go)

I’ll eventually get a MCM style dining table w/ 4 chairs in a light wood for the empty northwest corner of the room.

Cabinet in corner will be removed

Flooring is either going to be a wood-look tile (wide plank) to match upper cabinets or a hexagonal tile (med to large) in shades of tan / beige to complement upper cabs.

I REALLY don't like a straight transition w/ the little strip to cover it. We found this idea for the transition between kitchen & LR. Thoughts?

Here's my sketches:

lower units will be drawers, not cabinets (except for cabinet under sink)

Base units will be large drawers for pots/pans.

I'd love to hear your thoughts / ideas. Thank you Houzz community!

Comments (12)