SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrb451

Credit Card Fraud, Again

jrb451
4 years ago

Yesterday I received an e-mail from VISA "Confirming the change to my mailing address". I logged into my account and sure enough my address had been changed; new city, state and street. I called and spoke with a representative who told me to change my address back and change my password. We also reviewed pending charges for any fraudulent activity. There was none.

This morning I awoke to 2 emails from VISA saying they detected "suspicious activity" on my card and had "restricted" my account from any further charges. While I'd slept I'd had notifications of 6 different charges being made on my card: Netflix, HULU, and a hostel in Ireland.

Again I called and spoke with a representative. This time we closed my card and noted the disputed charges. I mentioned my earlier call about the address change and that I use a 16 character, randomly generated password for my account. "Wouldn't that make it hard for someone could get into my account and change that information?" I asked.

I was told that the address change was made from a phone, using the services on the phone tree and not by speaking with a representative or logging into my web account. Still, you'd have to use the last 4 of my SSN and know my birth date, I believe.

Question: What was the fraudster's goal in making the mailing address change in my account? They had my card #, why not make the charges as they did later?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus