SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kris_kain

Replacing cedar siding with T1-11, Are you serious?

Kris Kain
4 years ago

My parents' detached garage burned to the ground recently. The original siding on both the garage and home was cedar siding. I was reading over the contract that was provided by their insurance company (Pemco) which includes the contractor's repair agreement which reads...

Construct the 12×22 detached garage to match the previous.
T1-11 siding on sides and rear and shake will be put on the front of the garage to match the dwelling.

Their insurance policy is mentioned in this document too, which says...

The real property will be restored to its original condition or better, (Obvious breach of contract).

Why would a contractor choose T1-11 siding over cedar siding? My mom said she was told that cedar siding was expensive. Looking at the $40,000 they are billing my parents for this tiny project, T1-11 is no way cost-effective. There is $6,000 left to spend on building the garage so If they returned the T1-11 there should be plenty enough money to get cedar siding instead, right? Please explain how horrible T1-11 siding is, so I can show my mom? Does T1-11 compare in any way to cedar siding? I was told that some banks won't even loan on a home that has T1-11 siding on it. My parents plan on selling by the end of next Summer. This could be another disaster. Won't this bring the value of their home down? Please help.

Comments (13)