SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darielsmith

HELP! What to do with our 1960’s exterior on our rural property?!

darielsmith
4 years ago

My husband and I purchased a 1962 home that we’ve spent the past few years gutting on the inside. We’ve gone for a simple, open concept in neutrals with craftsman touches and now, as a detached shop is about to be built on the property, we’re faced with making some decisions about the outside. Some considerations include that we live in a rural neighborhood that gets a lot of rain. We have thought about:

a.) Replacing the rotting sections of wood siding you can see in the photo, add trim to the windows, new soffits and eaves, repair stucco and paint the house - maybe something like a dark slate blue-grey with warm white trim. (Our roof is off-white metal, but the metal trim around the edge is hunter green - I would like to replace or paint this out to match the eaves in off-white)

b.) A variation of a.), but perhaps adding stacked stone (the focal point in our living space is a floor to ceiling stacked stone fireplace) where the wood siding currently is.

c.) Doing board and batten top to bottom - maybe going white, trimming windows in wnite, eaves in white (but hunter green flashing around the roof changed to black) and maybe a black front door - we have already painted out the metal railing seen in the photo black- we have a black metal gate on our driveway as well.

d.). Or???? I’m open to suggestions on colours, materials, styles! Any input is welcome!!

Comments (12)