SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicolefitz9

Our 1960's Garrison Colonial needs some help

Nicole Fitz (Long Island z7)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all. Long time scroller, first time poster (usually stick to garden stuff on Houzz).

We bought our 1964 colonial in December and we're starting to think about doing some of the much-needed exterior updating now that the interior is all settled. We've done a little foundation planting and paint touch ups so I could survive the bareness before now, but ready to think about next steps. Our aesthetic- we love old things. We prefer natural materials and keeping original details as much as possible but we don't mind modern touches. I've tended toward a sort of pseudo-Craftsman vibe in the interior- angular shapes, dark metal accents, touches of Mission style lighting here and there, so I'd be interested in keeping that vibe outside without looking like we are trying to make a faux-Craftsman house.

So a few questions/areas where we need input:

1. The shutters. I hate them so, so much. I literally ripped them off the addition on the right the first day we moved in (they had one shutter on just the outer side of the first and third windows...looked incredibly stupid). But w/ out a center upper window will it be too naked if I remove from upper story shutters? That blank spot in center is the wall of our master closet so adding another window not really an option. Beef out the trim around windows instead? Throw up window boxes for interest?

2. The siding- I'm not a big fan of vinyl siding so I'm hoping to save the original cedar if at all possible, though it needs some work here and there and finding replacement shingles in that shape will be challenging. New cedar not likely in budget. Prime and paint? Powerwash and try to get back to original cedar color (it's been painted brown)? Bite the vinyl bullet?

3. Porch: Originally I had visions of adding a big old "farm porch". But sitting with it these past months, I kind of feel that's not respecting the style of the house... Plus sticking w/ original footprint allows us to forgo a permit and architect plans. My husband and I are debating on material to use to rebuild the sinking slab porch and non-existent walkway. I'm leaning toward a natural stone...Do I need to add a detail to roof about door for some dimension, or keep the 60s sort of long horizontal boxy feeling as is?

4. Color. Husband likes white. I think that will get mossy in our wooded setting. I like a dark navy w/ white and black trim accents. Open to most any other color suggestions w the exception of beige. Do we do diff colors top and bottom? Or all same?

Any suggestions appreciated. thanks!!

*please ignore ugly window ac's hanging out every which way...:)

Comments (10)