SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
just_terrilynn

If you only had one winter coat...

just_terrilynn
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all! As most of you know I live in Fl, what you might not know is that I rarily travel to cold climates in winter. I hate being cold. Saying that, I need to have a winter coat on hand for funerals and such.

I would like your ideas as I'm seeing some great sales online. I was looking at down coats with 700 fill but they look so ((((((((((puffy big)))))))))))) . I don't care for that puffy look. I'm looking for something that would keep me warm in as low as 10 degrees and have some wind protection. I'm thinking black or a camel color that we look in style for many years. Something not too sporty or too dressy, sort of inbetween. Want to help me narrow this search down to brands and styles? If you help me with that I'll search the sale racks.

Comments (62)

• cyn427 NoVaZone7
    4 years ago

My long wool/cashmere coat is the warmest one I have-even warmer than down! Mine is single-breasted, not double-breasted with classic lapels (not those wide ones they show every few years).

just_terrilynn thanked cyn427 NoVaZone7
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

The vast majority of puffer coats I see on people ... let's just say they appear to be choosing function over form. Yes, they are hip. But the hip versions are either crazy pricey (BTDT for two DD) and/or a bit avant garde. Not at all what I think when I hear "I want one warm coat to wear when I must have on a coat for occasions such as funerals."

A puffer might be warmer (not always) but as others have said, you can make sure you are warm if you wear a hat, scarf, gloves and something warm under it. A classic simple belted coat can be dressed up or down, so it'd still be my suggestion. Plus wow are they cheap this time of year.

just_terrilynn thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Related Discussions

If you only had ONE 6' cutting

Q

Comments (12)
    I appreciate the comments so far. I have put this cutting (along with a couple other "singles") in the frig for now. As soon as the cuttings I have right now in various stages of rooting have been moved to small pots I will give this one a shot. I actually wrapped this cutting up and put it in the frig without actually scrutinizing its size. It might actually have enough nodes to cut it in half or do something like Jose suggested. Jose, I saw your pictures, but I was wondering...this summer I put a two-node cutting in a bag, and it rooted easily. I moved it to a clear cup, and it continued to fill the cup with white roots. However, it never leafed out. I guess that's why I'd be concerned about one or two node cuttings. Have you had one of these one or two node cuttings leaf out yet?
    ...See More

If you had to choose ONLY 5 indoor plants?

Q

Comments (19)
    Savy, there are better experts than me. However, the obvious difference is size. Dwarf OJ, can flower from seed in less than 2 months. Not the case for Orange Jasmine. I believe the plant can should be 5-6 years old at the least to flower.... I'm sure those who have grown both will be more detailed :-)
    ...See More

Oops.....did I say I only had one coming in 09?

Q

Comments (12)
    Good buys, Jan. I am really anxious to see pics of Talladega from your garden - hopefully you will get blooms next summer. Lucky you that you have so much room to keep adding daylilies. I added about 50 this fall and transplanted about 45 seedlings into flower beds. I am quickly running out of room and NO I am not making any more beds. Note to self: No more flower beds, no more flower beds... Thanks to everyone for their daylily photos and comments last summer. They helped me make my choices this past fall.I have only added 4 for spring, but think I have room for about a half dozen more. From the Stamiles I am buying Sir Francis Drake. Get Jiggy I have not been too bad on the LA, having bought only 2 (so far) Jennifer Trimmer Sherry Candy Ann
    ...See More

If you only had a year to live and you knew it

Q

Comments (23)
    Second time was when my appendix when from 0 to 60 when we were in the Poconos. My Appendix went nuts in one weekend and my family had a bad history moms appendix went shoelace and wound its way around her colon, my sisters appendix blew in one afternoon while I called 911, I only called for help because my dads appendix blew in his body and he had peritonitis for months with his torso wide open. They took my appendix out and I did not do well. I hemorrhaged again and died on the table. They brought me back again with blood infusions. They hold it over my head whenever it suits them. Maybe its why my mom is so on top of me all the time and why she thinks I'm so fragile. I'm not as fragile any more its my turn to help her. I wish she would let me.
    ...See More
  • Feathers11
    4 years ago

Although yoopers are not terribly formal and you could get by fashion-wise with a puffy coat, a good, lined wool coat will keep you warm. And you won't be standing outside for long. If you attend a graveside service in colder weather, they are often expedited and held under tents for protection from the elements. I attended one a few years ago in which the funeral home had set up a space heater under the tent.

just_terrilynn thanked Feathers11
  • elunia
    4 years ago

stash these in your pockets...

just_terrilynn thanked elunia
  • Moxie
    4 years ago

Mtn's suggestions are excellent for most parts of the country. You'd also want wool scarf to fill in the neck and chest area. In places like MN, where I live, or the UP one needs down to be truly warm.

Even with down, you will probably feel cold. I like our cold weather, but I freeze in the fall until I adjust. At the same temperature in spring - hey, break out the swimwear! It depends on what you're used to.

In extremely cold weather, accessories matter. Heat loss through the head is a big deal, so be sure to have a hat with a tight weave to keep out cold air. Gloves separate the fingers, so they aren't very warm. Mittens look tacky, but fingers benefit from the heat of other fingers and are a lot warmer.

In general, you'll be warmer in layers than in a single heavy garment. Merino wool is your friend. It's lightweight and breathable. Silk ski underwear isn't as warm but fits under more garments. Be sure the coat is large enough to handle layers.

Random observations about extremely cold weather: Pierced ears get really cold with earrings. I tend to remove mine because they get caught on scarves and can be pulled out and lost. Contact lenses keep eyeballs warm. My third winter here, I couldn't wear my contacts for several months. It had never occurred to me that eyeballs get cold!

just_terrilynn thanked Moxie
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

3kats, funny you should mention vintage coats, I was just looking at some on eBay. I like this vintage wool Barbour coat that is meant to be in mint condition but it’s really a coat to add if you already have your staples. Does it look like I should sing...rollin rollin rollin keep those doggies rollin, rawhide?

• localeater
    4 years ago

You don’t necessarily need the same thing that those of us who live in the cold north need. I have a big puffer for being out in coldest weather, I have stood on sidelines of football games in 20 degrees.

If you are just moving from building to car, or maybe walking a few blocks you’ll be fine in wool coat. I don’t love the deep v of the one Mtn posted but it probably folds over and I’d add a scarf and a hat and gloves and warm boots.

just_terrilynn thanked localeater
  • czarinalex
    4 years ago

If you only want one coat to serve in a variety of situations and climates, think layering. Mtn's coat suggestions above are good ones. I personally dislike belted coats. I had a wool single breasted buttoned coat as my go to for northeast winters. It was loose enough to handle a thick sweater or wool blazer underneath. Good gloves, a warm scarf and hat kept me warm.

just_terrilynn thanked czarinalex
  • llitm
    4 years ago

A wool coat will take you to any occasion. I find buttoned more comfortable and warmer than belted.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok , thank you everyone, I‘m getting a handle on the situation. I think I’ll go for a slightly roomier lined black wool knee length coat with no belt. I’m short waisted, not tall and my middle is the only area I gain weight in. I do want some style to it and a nice cut though. Those who look good in belted are so lucky.

I’ll also do some wool base layers. No idea what to do for my feet. I hate bulky footwear of any kind. I also dislike anything flat or for boots nothing more than an inch & 3/4. I’m fussy, hate rounded toe or too pointy, will probably wait for that horrible search.

Oh, ear muffs...I like those. Don’t want hat hair but will probably have to spring for a hat.

Cold weather is just not convenient : )

The good thing though, there are lots of sales and clearance’s right now.

• sas95
    4 years ago

If I only could have one winter coat I would go with wool. They look much nicer, IMO.

But if warmth is your main criteria, wool is not it. I am not big into puffy, so I asked my husband for this down parka for Christmas this year. It is the warmest thing I've ever owned and heavy with down, but not super-puffy. It's more sporty than dressy, but in the really cold weather I wear it over my dressier work clothes because warm trumps all for me.

just_terrilynn thanked sas95
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What brand is that sas?

• just_terrilynn thanked sas95
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks!

• localeater
    4 years ago

I love Kuhl!

• Funkyart
    4 years ago

Reread 3katz’ post and note the temps in the UP. It’s not NYC in winter. It’s not even Chicago in winter. Here in the NE, I would go long wool coat but I don’t think that will keep an unseasoned Floridian comfortable unless you get door to door service.

Sorry you need to be thinking of funerals. 😢

just_terrilynn thanked Funkyart
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Don’t we all have to think of funerals Funky? Well maybe not you, not sure of your age. However, once you get around sixty it seems to happen more frequently. I had a friend die today, he was only in his early sixties. I don’t have a lot of family left in MI but the ones there are up in age. My dad turned eighty this year. I do have many childhood friends still there though. It’s so weird getting older and having to think of these things. If I had to go up north, even a week from now, I would be hopelessly unprepared.

• Oakley
    4 years ago

Jterri, don't layer with wool under your wool coat or you'll get so hot you'll want to scream, unless the temps will be below zero with strong northerly winds.

Do have shoes and socks prepared though. This morning it was 18 when I went grocery shopping, wearing only a hoodie with ss shirt under it, but when I put on my warm socks with my tennis shoes it was an uncomfortable fit.

just_terrilynn thanked Oakley
  • maddie260
    4 years ago

I have a black cashmere coat that I bought in the 80s-belted with no buttons, very warm, and goes anywhere (well not skiing!) The only tailoring I’ve done is to have the shoulder pads removed. It has a shawl collar that can be worn up or down that gives more warmth.

just_terrilynn thanked maddie260
  • localeater
    4 years ago

Oakley - you are showing your northern-ness. Only a person acclimated to winter weather can go about in a hoodie in February. It always shocked my mother when she was visiting from Arizona that I would let my kids go out to wait for the bus in shorts and a hoodie(and boots) in the winter. I had to explain that my cutoff is 17 F. If it is less than 17 I required a coat.

Yesterday my DH yelled at me because I was in the detached garage with bare feet, I had walked through the snow to get there. It never occurred to me to put anything on.

• 3katz4me
    4 years ago

Wool sweaters, blazers, etc are perfect for layering under a wool outer coat up here in the winter - especially for someone not used to cold weather. The under-layer should be silk or another lightweight fabric used in base layers. Wool is not too hot for layering when it’s cold in MI, MN and the like. Smartwool socks are nice.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for a deal on Moose Knuckles down Parka’s. I think if I go up a size the cuts will work for me. They aren’t really the classic look I thought I wanted but they do have some interesting looks.

• lascatx
    4 years ago

Will you wear the coat in FL at all? I'm in TX and I can't see ever wearing a puffer coat here. I think we probably get colder than you, but I wouldn't wear a down coat unless I had a reason to be outdoors all day long. Even then, hands and feet would matter most. If you want only one coat, classic wool is hard to beat. My mind went right to the type of coat in Mtn's first reply. If I lived up north, i'd look into a wool coat with a fur lining made from my mother's jackets.

just_terrilynn thanked lascatx
  • tinam61
    4 years ago

I feel your pain. I don't like the cold either and I hate wearing a coat! Thankfully our winters are fairly mild, but we do have some cold days. I have a coat in my backseat, where it stays most of the winter. I also do not like puffy coats. I will admit because of the looks and they are rarely flattering to anyone. I think you are making a good decision with a wool coat. I have a long black wool coat, nice looking collar, large, nice looking buttons (kind of dresses it up) and I can wear a variety of scarves with it. I have lined (flannel like stuff) leather gloves (black also). I do not wear hats, and I do have a pair of those ear muff things - they are single pieces for each ear - not connected by a band. I don't even know where they are right now. LOL The coat in my car sounds similar to KSWL's although it comes below my hips - is a wool tweed (black/grey/white) slightly flared/swing and again the big buttons. We did attend a grave-side service last winter and I wore that coat (with pants) plus gloves and a scarf. We knew we would be under a tent so no earmuffs/hat. Good for you for planning ahead!

just_terrilynn thanked tinam61
  • tinam61
    4 years ago

PS - I am short and short-waisted so no belted coats for me!

just_terrilynn thanked tinam61
  • Funkyart
    4 years ago

Oh JT.. I am not at an age I don't need to think about it. Unfortunately, I think about it daily these days. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

just_terrilynn thanked Funkyart
  • arkansas girl
    4 years ago

I live where it is cold and this morning was at the dog park in 14 degrees. I always just wear layers. I own a heavy winter coat that I have worn maybe 4 times in the fourteen years that I've had it. I thought that I had to have that when I moved here or thought I'd freeze to death. I much prefer lighter coats with layers under them.

If you do buy a very warm coat that you will seldom wear, just make sure it is something timeless that will last for years. Mine is a black down coat with a hood that will probably be in style after I'm dead and gone! HA!

just_terrilynn thanked arkansas girl
  • ratherbesewing
    4 years ago

The funerals in my northeast area rarely have an outdoor grave site service anymore, especially in the winter. Instead, you are sent to a onsite chapel. This option keeps you out of the howling winds. I would opt for a wool semi fitted coat. If it's too fitted, squeezing a jacket underneath makes you feel like a sausage. Add a scarf , gloves and boots and you should be all set.

just_terrilynn thanked ratherbesewing
  • cmm1964
    4 years ago

JT I’m south of you in Florida(Naples) and it seems you could use a coat this morning as we are cold and windy!!

just_terrilynn thanked cmm1964
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

I love this parade of coats, here's my latest

just_terrilynn thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mtn, yes I admit it lol. It’s hard saying no to such coolness but in the end my practical side came out. But, I LOVE that brand!!! I’ll just have to settle for not looking stupid.

This is more inline $for me. I would get a lot of use out of this lightweight down.

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/moose-knuckles-vidora-lightweight-vest-prod224380511?childItemId=NMTZHSB_&navpath=cat000000_cat000730_cat66200747&page=0&position=8&uuid=PDP_PAGINATION_8ccac6e508aefb330588f9f584f8a9ce_UkCR1mqUtCRnuKRrBJAvj9LMKvF3ZIhut0qsrsUH.jsession

It’s been freezing here ( my fellow transplants above can attest). Last night I walked the dogs in a cold 61 degree rain. My Filson coat came in real handy. That was a great Sierra Trading Post deal a few years back and has worked great for Scotland and Devon.

I think I was probably not in the right frame of mind to buy a coat yesterday, but I did, I wasn’t exactly obsessed with the idea but close.

Anyway, I bought this. It might be likely it will go back as the price was so low I’m concerned with the quality. However, it might work.

I’m not as obsessed with boots but will keep my eye out. As stated above I don’t like clunky.

I almost pulled the trigger on these very low priced Sorel’s but they are not in my size. My ankles are slim so I liked the stretch idea. Also like the bit of heel. I’d have to wear some knee high wool socks though.

If that lower cost coat works I can spring for a nicer scarf to bring some groovy in.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

If you do want to look for some inexpensive garments to wear under a sweater or pants, look at Uniqlo heat tech. I bought a few pieces for travel last fall in Ireland and Scotland and loved the stuff they have. I even bought a couple of their merino wool crew sweaters ($19.99) to take because I could hand wash if needed and they took up no room. I always like to have a few inexpensive basic pieces for travel and if they don’t survive, well, I don’t care.

just_terrilynn thanked OutsidePlaying
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the reminder of that brand Outside! I buy their men’s slim v neck Tee shirts. They are way better than most anything out there and are cheap.

• sheesh
    4 years ago

Since you may not even need a coat, would you consider renting one from, say, Letote, or one of the other clothing rental places? You could even have the coat and other apparel sent directly to wherever you will be staying, thus avoiding packing, etc.

My daughters always have their travel wear sent ahead to their work or vacation locations.

just_terrilynn thanked sheesh
  • llitm
    4 years ago

I think you made an excellent choice with the coat. It will take you almost anywhere and is timeless. I hope it works out for you. The vest is super cute as well. And, you can hardly go wrong with those boots or something similar.

just_terrilynn thanked llitm
  • Fori
    4 years ago

The one you ordered is pretty much what I think of when I think of a "nice coat". It's a classic style. Hope it's warm enough! :)

just_terrilynn thanked Fori
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mdln and all, if wanted to get real jiggy with a scarf to add some hip style to the coat I bought, what should I look at? I was thinking a cool faux fur. However, I have no idea if that would be cheesy. Also, long long ago when I was a child with jackets of faux, I have a vague memory of unpleasant wet faux fur touching my skin. I want something cool/hip but comfortable and warm. Maybe a little designer-y.

• lascatx
    4 years ago

This time of year, prices on winter things are slashed, so you may get a great buy. Hope the coat works out for you. I think a classic coat is a god thing to have. I think the vest and boots like that would be great for cool, wet or windy days in the south -- much more versatile than a puffy coat.

I thought they didn't do outdoor services or burials in winter because of the frozen ground?

just_terrilynn thanked lascatx
  • Feathers11
    4 years ago

Lascatx, there are methods of thawing the ground to dig graves, and some states require it. It's more expensive, but it's done.

https://adventuresincemeteryhopping.com/2015/02/27/frozen-funerals-how-grave-digging-meets-modern-times/

eta. as a sidenote of why I know this above... I once met a young man who was studying to become a mortician. Most funeral homes tend to be family businesses, but he wanted to enter this field without having a family background. First, we discussed these challenges (I wasn't aware of the whole culture of mortician work), and then, because he was receptive to my questions, I asked him a slew of questions about what happens to a body after it expires. Frozen ground came up, and he explained much of what the article above states. The whole discussion was just so fascinating, and this kid had such a calming yet matter-of-fact approach to it all. He had truly found his calling.

just_terrilynn thanked Feathers11
  • Oakley
    4 years ago

Local, I'm in central OK where we get our fair share or cold. When I'm moving a lot I tend to get hot in a coat. I love hoodies, wear them all the time when I'm doing errands.

I had a light blue ski coat in the 70's, similar to the one above. Ah, to have that body back. :(

just_terrilynn thanked Oakley
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mtn, looky the cute rain boots to go with your coat. Too matchy matchy?

• salonva
    4 years ago

I haven't tried the hand warmers that eluna shared, but I do have about 4 pairs left of the toe warmers. I bought them for when we went to Quebec in November and they are awesome. My toes really are always cold, and these worked so well that I could walk and walk and not be cold. It's not like your toes or feet are hot, but they just don't bother you at all. They stick to the outside of your socks.

I need to try the hand warmers because my hands are always cold.

just_terrilynn thanked salonva
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

is the belted coat somewhat trendy right now? I can't decide if I like them or not they remind me of bathrobes too much.

just_terrilynn thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • frankginakay
    4 years ago

JT and Cmm1964 I am in the middle of you guys, in Ft Myers AND I want that Moose Knuckles coat. Don't think we would get enough use out of it....

just_terrilynn thanked frankginakay
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Franklinakay, I’m in PBG’s near the Jupiter, Juno line. I’m thinking of relocating in the next two years. I have been south of Tampa and down many times but this summer we will be exploring Dunedin, St Petersburg, Tarpon Springs and inland Mount Dora. My dream is to be within a charming small town but not over 45 minutes to a major airport. Tarpon Springs looks good , but sink holes?

• frankginakay
    4 years ago

That sounds great! We have a few friends in TS, but not sure on the sink holes. My DS used to live in St. Pete, we loved to visit there. All these towns are exploding with people moving south, from up North. Keep us posted, then we in SWFL could do a meet up!!

just_terrilynn thanked frankginakay
  • cmm1964
    4 years ago

I actually live on Marco but use Naples as a location on this forum. East Naples is about the last area here to be built up but it’s on its way. On a good day I’m about 53 minutes to RSW. If I want a more direct flight 1:45 to FLL and 2 hours to MIA.

I can honestly say I don’t ever want to have to go winter coat shopping again!

just_terrilynn thanked cmm1964
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

All my friends and a few relatives either own 2nd homes or visit the gulf side to stay. It‘s starting to be a pain being on the east coast. Ideally I would like to be able to walk into a pretty little town from my in town home , maybe go to a few nice restaurants or take my golf cart to the store for milk. Not fancy but nice. It will have to be an area that really grabs at me as I do really like my area. I have endless things within two miles. Trader Joe’s is a mile, the mall a little over a mile, also, lots of restaurants. What I don’t have is a “town”. There are new near by communities who have built little towns within but it’s just not the same. I guess I’m looking for unpretentious character.

In the future hopefully we can meet up : )

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm