SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_n14

Fix Needed For Marble Window Sill

Jeff N
4 years ago

So I took advice from My Prior Post About This and was able to find a stone fabricator to cut the marble piece and profile the edge. Did it for practically nothing. However they did not want to cut the notches out for the part that ends that go against the wall. They said that should be cut onsite to make sure it's installed correctly.

Well as stated in the prior thread getting someone to do this small installation job would not be easy. But when I recently needed to have some molding work done on the large window in my living room I called Wallside, since they originally installed these window, and I asked if they could also install a window sill. They said yes and it would be $85 to install one from them. I said I had my own, it just needs to be cut/notched and installed. They said no problem, they can do it for $50.

Well of course it had to be cold and snowy the day they showed up and when he was cutting the piece outside it chipped. He showed it to me and said he could file it and caulk it and it would be fine so I said go ahead. But as you can see from the photos below it's not really so fine.

I have my painter coming over to do patching and painting and was just wondering if there's anything you guys can suggest I might have him do to maybe hide how its like 3/8 of an inch away from the wall on the left side. Some type of thin molding or something similar perhaps?

My painter is really good and he can get the edges of the wall around the window nice and sharp and will patch around the inside and smooth it out before he paints. Then probably run a bead of caulk around the quarter round at make it look good. I just don't know what to tell him about the 3/8" gap that's filled with caulk and open to suggestions.

Comments (9)