SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bdudas

How to soundproof exposed brick party wall in rowhouse

4 years ago

If anyone has ideas/suggestions on this, I would really appreciate it. My daughter and son-in-law bought a fully remodeled rowhouse. The construction company had exposed the brick along one wall which looks nice. HOWEVER, the neighbors on that side are fond of playing loud music both through a sound system and by playing instruments. They've gone back and forth with them and although it has been mostly cordial it is now apparent that the neighbors aren't going to curtail this. When they are using their sound system or playing guitar (with an amplifier) my daughter and son-in--law can't hear anything including their own TV and it obviously has a very negative impact on their quality of life. So they are considering covering some of the brick (from the front door to the stairway, which seems to be the area where most of the sound is occurring. Going up beyond that would be pretty extensive because the brick is two stories high. I suggested first filling in any small holes in the mortar since this should be done anyway and may help with the noise coming through the wall. Since this exposed brick was at one time covered and probably wasn't built to be exposed, it's not the neatest brick job you've every seen. It lends a nice decorative quality to the home but obviously isn't sound proof, nor was it intended to be. From what they can see when they've stopped over to chat with the neighbor, their side of the wall is not exposed. What type of material would you use to cover the brick (soundproof drywall?). Would you hire a drywaller to do this work? They expect to be in the home for another couple of years so obviously resale is a concern and they want to do the job right. Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated. One other thing is they don't have a ton of clearance as they approach the stairs. So they will need to keep whatever they use to cover the brick fairly narrow. Thanks for any help.

Comments (12)