SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patti_yohe

Bluestar 6 burner rangetop and cookware

Peke (Patti)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I love my Bluestar rangetop except for having to replace the ignitors. In the 7 years I have owned it, I have replaced the front 3 ignitors several times. Some were the older "open" cylinders and some were the newer "closed" cylinder ignitors. They are expensive to buy, but super easy to DIY. I have never had to call a repairman to fix my Bluestar rangetop. That saves a lot of money. I wish the ignitors lasted longer.

Now, for my current problem. I have been using my 35+ year old Aluminum Clad Farberware pots and pans with my Bluestar along with Calphalon non stick skillets, 50-60 year old cast iron skillets, and a Trimontina Enameled 8 qt iron pot. I have ruined 2 of my saucepans when I burned them dry. I think it was either spaghetti sauce or beans that I had the heat on too high. I had set a timer, but the pots were dry and ruined by the time the timer went off. I need to replace the pots, but from what I understand, Farberware pots and pans are not as good as they used to be 35+ years ago.

I bought several All Clad skillets and an All Clad saucepan from Williams Sonoma. (3 qt D3 saucepan, 2 D5 French skillets, and 1 D3 12" skillet with lid. According to America's Test Kitchen reviews, they are the best. They also said the handles are the most comfortable and do not get hot. I had been reading about All Clad on Garden Web for several years so I thought All Clad was the right decision.

I know to only use low-medium heat with All Clad. I hate my All Clad when I have to clean them. I do not use the 2 highest (22k) BTU burners with them, but they are so difficult to clean. The burners are as low as I can turn them. The first thing I cooked in the 3 qt pot was potatoes. The foam took forever to clean off the sides of the pot. I soaked and scrubbed it multiple times. Finally, with several more soakings and scrubbings with Bar Keepers Friend, it was clean. Once dried, it still looks like it is dirty. I had the same problem with the D3 and D5 skillets even on the lowest heat. The smaller 8,000 btu burner works better as low as it can go, but I only have one of those.

Is the Bluestar just too hot for All Clad? I spend more time cleaning the pans than I do cooking with them. I also hate the handles of the All Clad. They are so uncomfortable and they DO get hot. The 3 qt pot is very heavy when half full of water and potatoes.

I am tired of scrubbing the All Clad. The burners are on as low as I can turn them. I have no problems cleaning my older aluminum clad Farberware or the cast iron when using the Bluestar.

Does anyone have any advice? Any suggestions on other cookware? Thanks.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio