SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwilks85

Kitchen Renovation Help (Revised Post)

dwilks85
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I was unable to edit my existing post, so I created a new based on the feedback I received from the original post. Hopefully, the added pictures provide more clarity. Also, we'll be taking out the wall that the refrigerator is on to open up the space. The island will be in the area where is refrigerator currently is. We will also be adding a bathroom where the recycling currently is and moving our washer/dryer where the stove is with in the entrance to that area being through the bathroom. As I am not I am not a KD or GC, I did the best I could to provide an accurate drawing with accurate measurements.

We're renovating our kitchen and did not hire a KD, but are working with a contractor. I'm hoping to get some feedback about our proposed design. It may be hard to see in this rendering but the right of the fridge is a blind cabinet, followed by the dishwasher, sink, pull-out trash, cabinet, stove, cabinet and ending with a tall cabinet. We are also proposing an island with 3 cabinets. The face of cabinets will be faced in the other direction, but I was having difficulty in the program facing them in other direction and having them appear the way I desired.

Below are my concerns:

1.) I am concerned that the tall cabinet at the end near the door may be difficult to open due to the door trim, but am not interested in having a longer cabinet to the right of the stove. We have two 18 in. cabinets framing the stove and I like the symmetry. Any suggestions for how to keep symmetry without hindering the door? The tall cabinet is 12 in. wide.

2.) From my research, it seems like people believe that having a the trash near the prep area makes the most sense. Our prep area will be on our island, but our trash is currently between the sink and the stove, which is right behind the island. The area between the sink and the stove in only 18 in. so prep would be a little tight if we did it there vs the island. Should we consider moving the trash to the island? Are there creative ways to have a small waste area in or near the island? Currently, we'd like the island to house all of our cookware and utensils.

3.) We have a decent amount of space behind the island (approx. 93.5'' from the chairs for the island to the back wall). We're thinking about putting in a small kitchen table for an eat-in kitchen. Does it make sense to utilize the space in this way? Please ignore the metal door on the left. I was trying to simulate a wall. The program I'm using does not have an option for walls.

Thanks!

Comments (27)