SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmatwood

Design Critique and Cabinet Help for SW CT Kitchen Renovation

Wompol
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking around for the past few weeks as it looks the purchase of our first home is moving forward and I need to start making some decisions so my girlfriend and I can begin renovations quickly after moving in.

The house is located in Fairfield County in Connecticut and we will be doing a number of renovations before moving in but the biggest project in scope and cost will be the new kitchen. My girlfriend and I have agreed on a few things already like appliances and countertops but I am having trouble with cabinets. We have a pretty clear idea of what we are looking for but the one quote we got so far was more than what I had planned as the entire kitchen budget let alone the cabinet budget.

I am looking for any thoughts/comments on the design of the space as well as any comments specifically about cabinets and whether or not I am out of touch with reality or the KD is on the high side.

I have included some renderings of what I designed as a rough start and a basic floor plan with dimensions.

I am hoping some of you expert posters have some constructive criticism that I can take and revise my plans with.

I have tried to include the most accurate render possible but I don't have all the software upgrades to make it even more detailed (with the right size sinks etc).

Here is what we have already decided on:

• Soapstone countertops (we stopped at VT Soapstone and loved a couple slabs there but are open to other suggestions that may travel to our area) The island will be 2.5" thick (I have to adjust the rendering for 4 cabinets I just added so the island will be the same height)
  • Thermador Professional appliances
  • Shaker style frameless or full-overlay cabinets (our first quote was almost 70k including 13k for soapstone from this KD although they suggested granite a few times) The cabinets alone they priced at 45k before 10k installation (Mouser Centra Euro)

Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)