SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_61583032

Need advice - wrong linear drains installed

Cici Chouse
4 years ago

Question: Should I leave the linear drain as is or rear up tile/waterproofing and redo the shower floor?

Background: I ordered (2) 36” linear drains to go span the full width of my showers. My GC picked up the drains.

The store incorrectly ordered the parts and somehow I got (1) 31” shower channel, (1) 34” shower channel, and (2) 34” drain covers. (?????)

The tile setter didn’t realize there was any error and installed the shower drains and tiled the shower floor (no grout yet).

At first, I was trying to talk myself into accepting this even though it doesn’t look as clean/seamless as I had hoped by choosing the more expensive linear drains (vs regular round drain).

But overnight, I kept thinking how ridiculous it is that I got all these mismatched sizes. Furthermore, because the drain doesn’t go across completely, there is an awkward area for the tile that results in a much thicker grout than the rest of the area.

What should I do? At this point, I see several points of failure.

1. Sales rep ordered wrong parts
  2. GC should’ve confirmed correct parts when picking up
  3. Homeowner (me) should’ve also confirmed correct parts once picked up
  4. Tile setter should’ve asked which linear drain goes where bc the two sizes were different before setting the drains

Does this shower not look as bad as I think it is? I understand I’m in the weeds so I’m open to having someone tell me that this isn’t worth going to battle for. I’m meeting with the GC and tile setter in a couple of hours.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)