SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
csmith170

Ideas for our L-shape kitchen?

Csmith
4 years ago

Hi, this is my first time posting, I'd love some feedback on our kitchen. We had a leak and had to remove a lot of flooring and cabinets so we're in the middle of a surprise renovation. Since the cabinets are coming out, it's the perfect time to rearrange the space but I'm having a really tough time starting with a blank slate so any ideas/ thoughts would be so very appreciated. Here's where we are:

95% decided (but open to constructive criticism):

* Remove arch to open up space and gain extra wall space on the wall next to the hallway

* Add 55-62" wide window where hood and stove currently is

* Current island is 55x105, very long and seats 4 on one side. We are a family of 5 and I'd like seating on more sides, something wider and shorter seems cozier so will change to 65x95 or so and have seating on all sides

* Getting rid of double oven for more space since we're adding a window

* Add big closet next to stairs outside of kitchen, this will be where kitchen appliances and holiday storage can go. Then I'm ok removing some of the cabinet storage space for the window.

Unsure:

* Should sink stay on island or move under new window. I like seeing everyone while doing dishes but hate the constant mess in the center of the room. If the sink moves from the island, we'll replace it w an 18" prep sink

* I really want a larger pantry, the one that we have is double doors and always hanging open when the kids are in and out and such an eyesore. A corner pantry might be good for space but I'm not sure it'll look good in the space, especially with a window to the left of it

* What layout of fridge/ pantry/ sink makes the most sense. The stove will be pretty fixed against the interior wall where the fridge is currently

* Which layout below is best?

Dimensions:

* 178" along exterior wall with centered 60" window

* 160" up and down after removing column/ arch

* Hoping to get the pantry to 55" width

Finishes:

* Cabinets will be white and go to the ceiling, possibly with glass inserts at the top

* Countertops will be white-ish carrera like quartz with gray veining

* Walls will be white

* Not sure abt backsplash yet

* Floors will be 6-7" lighter, natural with knots engineered wood

I did four potential floorplans on grid paper, each square is 5".

This is our current space

A neighbor who has the same floorplan removed the arch in their home

Before flooring and cabinets were removed. Doors in the pantry are always open which I really don't like. Dining set is right next to pantry so would it make sense for fridge to be there?

View showing the arch that would be removed and give us abt 18" more in counter space.

View of other side of room for reference, you can see the corner of island and the arch on the right side of the picture.

Comments (8)