SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

W daylilies 2020

sherrygirl zone5 N il
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Today it’s time to see the W daylilies. The quote for today: “ Wouldn’t it be great if we could put ourselves in the dryer for 10 minutes and come out wrinkle free and 2 sizes smaller?”

Wanda Lou Lovely is a gorgeous bloom. It has great substance and rarely any splotches, an average performer in a less than ideal spot in the garden.

Witch’s Stick is a late bloomer, that’s the reason I added it. It had its leap year last season, the third full season.

Wide Wide World, an oldie with scrumptious color, it’s growing in a shady spot and does well.

When Pigs Fly is a tall beauty. This daylily was a bonus several years ago from Selman‘s gardens.

When my Sweetheart Returns has done well here. I had to move this one, it didn’t do well in all day sun.

Woman at the Well had first blooms this past season. It’s a short daylily and fit in well at the front of a bed. I like the unusual mix of colors on this one. Bitone?

Sherry

Comments (30)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maryl, both are beauties! I remember you mentioning Wayah Valley in an earlier post, your photo is so much better than the ones I checked out on the lily auction and garden.org.

Sherry

• Related Discussions

Favorite Red Daylilies of 2020

Q

Comments (40)
    I like so many of these, my very favorites are The Ultimate Sacrifice, Betty Bush, Marietta Warrior, Terrorsaur, Velvet Throne, Scarlet Pumpernel. Seedlings are wonderful. I will try to post a few of min Early Shirley seems more cherry red to me Christmas Greetings, I know I took better pictures of it, it normally looks more red Little Red Warbler Indy Rhapsody Reindeer Antlers Heavenly United We Stand Shark Infested Waters Spiderman Thin Man
    ...See More

Favorite Patterned Daylilies of 2020

Q

Comments (22)
    Sherry - I've always liked Mage Quest. Don't you have Gently Down the Stream too? I used to have Gently Down the Stream but gave it away because it looked so much like Millennium Falcon. Nancy - My Heart Belongs to Daddy usually has a much thinner edge. It only looked like that for two days last summer. Maybe that happened when temps were so cool. Kay said hers has never shown that much of the pattern. Brad - Thanks for your comments. Neither Secre Sentinel or Cobraskin Necktie is planted in a good place here. I wish I had sunnier spots for both, since I'd like to see them at clump strength. As it is, they are multiplying slowly and don't have many buds. Debra
    ...See More

Favorite Eyed and Edged Daylilies of 2020

Q

Comments (29)
    Kate - Thanks for comment about the Karelia seedling! I need to give it more space to see if can get more buds. Last season is had 15 buds on one scape and 12 on the other. I think it could do better than that if not surrounded by taller seedlings. It did increase to five fans last season, so I'm looking forward to more scapes next year. If you want to post more eyed and edged daylilies, go ahead. Our friends didn't have many. That's why I went overboard - to make up the difference, or maybe I'm just greedy. When I first started collecting daylilies, the watermarked ones and the ones with eyes and edges were my favorites. I still like them a lot, although I no longer add many of them. Debra
    ...See More

Favorite Toothy Daylilies of 2020

Q

Comments (19)
    Nancy - I do like the looks of Coach's Magic Man. I'm very fond of all purples with teeth. Shark Infested Waters is a pretty red. Are the teeth white on that one? I have one more toothy cultivar that I forgot previous times, probably because it's my least favorite. But it is a great performer and usually has 20 buds or more. Cretaceous Crunch I do have a sort of pretty seedling out of it that has a few teeth on the edge. Cretaceous Crunch x Julie Newmar Debra
    ...See More
  • shive
    4 years ago

Sherry - Funny quote and lovely daylilies! Wanda Lou Lovely is indeed lovely, and that clump of When My Sweetheart Returns is wonderful.

Maryl - Wayah Valley does keep its color on a hot day!

Here are some of my W's:

Waves Become Wings - late bloomer

We Are the Champions - late bloomer

White Eyes Pink Dragon

Willow Dean Smith

Wizard's Wish

Wall of Fire

White Tooth

Wonder of It All

Westborne Good Old Days

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Work Horse is just that a work horse of a daylily while at the same time being beautiful

Webster's Pink Wonder

Waterpocket Fold

Wild and Wacky in its first season here ( and buddy)

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Wayside King Royal

We Can Dance

Who Dey is new so hasn't reached its registered height.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

and finally for now

Wppdside Rhapsody

Willow

Wild One

That's it for me for now . I have more images on my phone but for some reason they won't download to my computer so some of the images I have shown are from previous seasons.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Heather: Wonder of it All is a ruffly beauty, and Wild One always grabs the spotlight.........Debra: Westbourne Good Old Days is sure pretty, and I see you have Wonder Of it All too. Two different regions, still one good looking daylily. White Eyes Pink Dragon is a pretty pink UF. Seems as if many people like it.........Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    4 years ago

Maryl, I like the quote. I wonder where I can find an industrial sized dryer. I would be in there in a flash!

I should have known that someone would post Wild Cherry Wine. Such a lovely daylily! I am always tempted to get that one, but since we are trying to downsize, I'll try to restrain myself. Wall of Fire and White Tooth are my two other choices.

Here are my W's.

Wandering Werribee is not as tall as I would like but it's a good grower. It's on the softer side of orange.

Westbourne Frills and Thrills is a great daylily. I think we were lucky to get this one--one of Mary Jane Meadow's intros that came out not too much before she passed. I bet many of hers are now hard to find.

Whiskered Tree Swift is a Lambertson that has done reasonably well for us. The interesting thing about it is that it has some pink teeth.

Woodchopper's Ball is an interesting small flower on a very tall scape. This was Bob's choice and I am glad he picked it. I think it's a bud builder too. It just kept on going last season.

Wickedly Wild and Wonderful is a favorite here. It doesn't do as well as its published stats say it should, but it blooms every year for us.

White Eyes Pink Dragon is still fairly new here and we can't wait to see it at its full strength.

I like Weasel Teeth because it has a nice eye as well as teeth.

Wolverine is not a very clear pink in our garden, but I think it has tremendous breeding potential. It is excellent for seed setting and we are getting pretty seedlings out of it.

That's all for me.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

So many ones I am liking. I think they get better the fewer alphabet we have remaining. White Eyes Pink Dragon is one that consistently catches my eye. It was new for me this year, was nice but I am sure it will do even better this year. Wild Cherry Roundup caught my eye, and White Tooth. Wild one looked good too.

bad pic of Westbourne Homestead, a really good bloomer most seasons but not so great this past year

Westbourne Easter Egg Hunt is short, some ot even quite out of the foilage, but blooms and blooms

Westbourne Easter Sunrise is a great bloomer, not so fond of the look of it but it will stay because of all the hard work it puts in

Westbourne Kirby Kids Playground does well really some years, but rather a blah looking plant

Westbourne Sulled up Old Possum is a really BAD plant. Has not multiplied much in the 5 or 6 years I have had it, blooms are misshapen, splotchy, or just don't open well. Very pretty when they do, but no better than lots of others. This is one that I always wonder why bother registering. I can't imagine it doing much better unless in TX maybe. I plan to compost this one, if it survives the winter

Westbourne Revivals is relatively new and seems to be a keeper

Walk in the Clouds did not bloom last spring but this is a pic from the year before. It is a late bloomer, I guess the up and down temps last year confused it and it tried to bloom in the spring, and just could not open. Love the look of this one

Watchyl Cyber Spider

Web of Intrigue

Whip City Fancy Free, love this one

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

A few more

Whip City Sweet Honey bea

White Zone

Wild Horses

Wilson Spider is always a bit short

Wineberry Candy

Wireglass Greenstar

Wisest of Wizards

Wonder of it All is an amazing daylily, occasionally a bloom will hang up but usually they open pretty well. Not really early morning opener though

World Premier is one of the few Maryott daylilies I can't complain. I have had it several years. Last spring I had to dig it up, separate each fan and dig out bermuda grass, and it still went on to bloom pretty well

Wyatt Earp

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

two more

Woman's Work

Watchyl Lavender Blue

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

Nancy, you MUST throw out that ol' possum! I am surprised you still speak to me after I sent you that one....lol. I hoped that it would improve going someplace warmer (and it did, because it's not nearly as hideous as it was here! At least it opens for you sometimes!) It's hard to believe MJ would register something so homely but maybe it was a pretty possum in her garden?

I seem to have a lot of 'W's so I am very glad we are nearing the end of the alphabet!

On another note, I won't have so many next year since I am going to sell off many of the ones I won't be using for hybridizing.....I need to make room for seedlings.

WIND SONG

WISPY RAYS

WILD ONE

WATERSHIP DOWN

WIDE EYED BEAUTY

WHICH WAY JIM

WAYNE'S WORLD

WINEBERRY CANDY

WIDOW'S WALK

WINNING NOTE

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • celeste/NH
    4 years ago

HERE'S MORE:

WILD AND WONDERFUL

WEBSTER'S PINK WONDER

WALK IN THE CLOUDS

WHIP CITY DAYDREAM

WHIP CITY SWEET HONEY BEA

WHIP CITY EXCITABILITY

WATUSI WARRIOR

WORLD PREMIER

WELLS LADY

WINE IN THE GAZEBO

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

WIZARDS HEIR

WHITE SATIN

WESTBOURNE A CHIP OFF THE OL' BLOCK

WESTBOURNE GOOD OLD DAYS

WINDY PLACE

WALTER'S TANGO

WINGED MIGRATION (went to live at Kate's in 2019)

WITH BELLS ON

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

WELCOME MAT

WINDHAM SONIC WAVE

WINDHAM ANGELINA

WINDHAM APHRODITE'S NIGHTY

WINDHAM BLUEBERRY MOJITO

WINDHAM OBERON

WINDHAM DRAGONFLY HUNTER

WINDHAM SHANGRI LA

WHIP CITY SQUIGLIE

WINDHAM TROPICAL WATERS

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

And one more:

WINDHAM MAGIC LACE

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

So many pretty Ws on here. (Well, maybe not Nancy’s possum daylily!!) Once again, a popular letter.

Women Seeking Men-so hard to capture the right color on this one. This one is so hardy and big it needs a bed all by itself!

Willow Dean Smith

Winter Romance-love the pale pink overtones

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Oh me-lost my second post-twice!!

Celeste, if you downsize, please keep your purples-I would miss them!

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Wonder of it All

And another of Winter Romance

• shive
    4 years ago

Kate - I love your photos of White Wizard. I can't find any others with that pink blush. Were your photos taken when it was much cooler than usual?

Celeste - Windham Tropical Waters is dreamy! I love the color and the applique pattern.

Nancy - Westbourne Easter Egg Hunt is gorgeous. I remember seeing that one in person last summer.

Hoosier Nancy - Westbourne Thrills and Chills grabs me. I bet Bob loves that one!

Debra

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Debra, I checked the photo dates. Those White Wizard pics were made May 21 so temps were probably cooler as they would have been early morning photos.

Since the Westbourne lilies have been mentioned so much, would you know if MaryJane’s purple/black purple lilies were ever registered? I remember years ago a speaker at the daylily club where I was once a member mentioned she was working on some “stunning“ dark purples.

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

What beauty!l I will limit myself to one fave per person, which is tough.

Sherry-When Pigs Fly

Maryl-Wayah Valley

Debra-We are The Champions

H. Nancy-White Eyes Pink Dragon

Heather-Work Horse

Nancy-Wyatt Erp

Kate-Willow Dean Smith

Celeste-Windham Tropical Waters -WOW!

Webster's Pink Wonder

Wilson's Spider

Wind Frills

Woodside Amethyst

That's all I have.

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • shive
    4 years ago

Brad - That's a beautiful clump of Wind Frills.

Kate - I have a later blooming dark purple that Mary Jane registered call Westbourne Last Date. No other Westbourne purples come to mind.

Debra

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Thanks to Debra for making me rethink my White Wizard picture. I have gone back and corrected it to Winter Romance. It was a thought in the back of my mind that it might not be correct so I went back through my photos to check-no excuses but I had such problems with posting that day that I finally gave up on my last two pages. Here is the correct White Wizard. (I have Voila Francois, Winter Romance and White Wizard that are similar in form and looks)

Funny-it has some pink on it too!!

• shive
    4 years ago

Kate - That is funny that White Whizard has a pink blush too. All the photos I see of it online make it look yellow. I looked up Winter Romance, and all the photos show a pink blush. I like both you Romance and the Wizard.

Debra

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

I had not thought much about that, Debra, until I looked at online photos, too, after your comment. You are correct-most pictures do seem to have a yellow cast. Winter Romance is in a bed beside the house but White Wizard is in the “white soil” bed. I must enlarge that bed!!! Lol!!

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

W fav's : So hard to choose but here ya go:

Sherry - Wanda Lou Lovely , Woman at the Well is such a beauty .......if only it were taller

MaryL - Wild Cherry Roundup .......so elegant

Shive - White Tooth, Westbourne Good Old Days

Hoosier_nan - Wolverine

Nancy 6b- Westbourne Easter Egg Hunt , Westbourne Revivals

Celeste - Windham Oberon and Windham Shangri la

Lilykate -Willow Dean Smith and Willamette Mist

Brad - Wilson Spider and Windfrills

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

Sherry I wish that dryer would work, I don't need to shrink so much but a few less wrinkles would be great! Wow to all the W's! Just a tremendous wealth of beauty.

I have Watermelon Slice in a pot but no pic. I hope it survives the winter.

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

I found a much better photo of WELCOME MAT which shows the lovely color closeup......

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

I need to be on that yellow brick road looking for a brain! How could I forget the huge monstrous bloom of Willa Mae Thornton?

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert