SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericinboston

Miele 30" Moisture Plus convection oven - steam functions for bread?

eric02138
4 years ago

I'm considering Miele's top-of-the line 30" convection oven with steam injection, as I bake a lot of artisan style bread. Although Miele markets this oven to home bread bakers, two things are not clear to me about how the "bursts of steam" in Moisture Plus actually work and I hope some current owners can chime in.

Given that for crusty artisan-style bread, heavy steam is desirable for the first few minutes, after which you want to vent it for a dry bake the rest of the cycle:

1. Can you at least manually program the oven for the convection fan to be OFF when you want to inject steam? I don't want the fan to evaporate or force out the steam too soon.

2. How well does the water vapor evaporate when it's time for a dry bake to finish the cycle and crisp the crust? Does the oven open any kind of vent? Do you open the door yourself to vent the water vapor?

I'm well aware that I can steam loaves with using covered cookery (dutch oven, clay bakers, etc) and in fact I do that now, with good effect.. However, doing this in a home oven for more than 2 non-panned loaves at at time is impractical, and I am looking for the capacity to bake a lot of crusty, free-form bread on occasion. I might spring for this oven if I have confidence that its steaming functions actually work as I hope.

@Kim G, I'm hoping you may have insight as I've seen you talk about using this oven for bread baking in other threads, and you mentioned having one in my other recent question.

Many thanks for any insight,

Eric

Comments (34)