SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marisa_harney

Exposed brick bedroom wall help!!

marisa_harney
4 years ago

Don’t know what to do with this wall? Room is dark so considering painting or liming to lighten? Also, what do I do with the recessed niche? Makes art hard to arrange?

As background, this is MBR in a converted industrial loft. Only light is from north facing windows on the left. Right adjacent wall is all closet.

Comments (39)

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would not paint the brick. I would put a painting in the niche and add better lighting.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I agree better lighting and embrace the brick it will be a huge selling point in a loft . Could you maybe post a floor plan or is that the only place for the bed?

• Related Discussions

Help decorating large exposed brick wall..where to start?

Q

Comments (5)
    Is the light from those windows super important? If not, I would "cheat" the windows. Hang your curtain rod high and wide (just a bit below the ceiling and almost all the way to the wall on each edge), but off centered to each window. Then hang woven blinds or a soft roman shade under the rod but on top of the window (to hide the brick). Hang panels on either side of each window and arrange them evenly. The windows will then look centered and you will have softened the wall considerably at a very low cost. See a similar idea here: http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/02/nursery-progress-getting-the-hang-of-it/
    ...See More

Master bedroom furniture with a brick wall

Q

Comments (30)
    I like the brick wall and your furniture color. The bricks look white/gray/burgundy-ish? Your lamps are too small, though. I don’t like the wall color on the left, nor the floor color. Maybe it’s a trick of the lighting? I think the wall should be white to blend with your brick (is it whitewashed?). The bedcover seems to be an odd color, too. I wouldn’t introduce any beige/tan/gold tones anywhere because they clash with the wall.
    ...See More

Help me decorate the long wall in this office/bedroom!

Q

Comments (10)
    Went out and bought ladders today. Everything else is repurposed from the house. The “blocky desk” is a filing cabinet and it stays. I also got some cute vintage farm art for the walls, but will paint the room before hanging them. But thanks for the tips everyone!
    ...See More

Help me in finding a wallpaper for one of the wall in Bedroom

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't have any experience with Peel & Stick wallpaper, but would you consider any of these? Brick, Stone, etc. Peel & Stick Wallpaper
    ...See More
  • mdennett
    4 years ago

I’m wondering if furniture can be rearranged as well? I would paint the brick to lighten the overall feel?

• marisa_harney
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Re floor plan: Room is basically square and the two adjacent walls are all large windows and all closet doors. The opposite wall (that may back is toward) is drywall but the entrance is there so would be walking into the side of the bed. I think this is the only place for the bed.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

I wouldn’t paint the brick, it’s very charming. I like light-painted brick, but it’s so common now, I’d embrace this nice, rich, sophisticated color .... especially the history of it (I’m assuming it’s an old building, maybe not).

I might try changing the nightstands to lighter ones. As far as art, my thinking is leaving the niche as is, as it’s own art, and hanging something on the flat part (above the other lamp).

I love your lamps and chandelier. This is a great room, lots of character! It’s artsy and interesting.

• deegw
    4 years ago

I would definitely not paint the brick. Limewash can look very charming and authentic but I would first try to add some things to the wall and see if that brightens things up enough for you.

I would consider a large textile or triptych of textiles. Or an arrangement of large shallow baskets. They would be lightweight and easy to hang on the brick.

• Lisa T
    4 years ago

I'd enjoy that brick. It's gorgeous. Uplight it. Maybe that will help or light shining down on it. Either way, make it the show piece.

It's hard to hang art on brick. There will be a drill involved. I get that. Big leaning art like the example earlier may make you feel better.

Not a pro.

• lobby68
    4 years ago

I sense your frustration but I love that brick so much, I'd not change it. It would also cause me some severe stress that the bed won't fit all nicely in the niche! ugh, it would be so perfect there. But, I like the ideas to lean into the unique part of things. If lightness is an issue, maybe adding more texture to your bed, or a softer, upholstered headboard might be helpful?

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

That off center niche would drive me nuts. What about trying the headboard in front of the window with a headboard with a more open feel to let the light through. Then you could use the niche for artwork. I would also lighten the brick as I am not a lover of red brick. I do like lime wash, or painted brick. https://www.potterybarn.com/products/clara-wood-lattice-headboard/?pkey=cbeds-headboards&isx=0.0.2816&group=1&sku=9019352 -

• marisa_harney
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Design Girl: yup, the niche is maddening to me. I’m going to measure but I think in front of the window is only going to make the room feel darker, even with open headboard. But, I’ve got to learn to think outside the box!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

What if you hang one piece of art behind each lamp? That may help balance the space?

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

Uplight or install cornice with downlights. IMO changing the brick will devalue the property.

• slab
    4 years ago

I would get a headboard and a stand alone floor height mirror to keep on the left side of the bed. The headboard should be a tufted fabric to soften the area and the mirror will direct more light in to the room.

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

I'm the outlier here but I'd definitely paint the brick white! It seems very cold and dark in there. As for the niche I honestly don't know that's awkward but at the same time gives the room character. Does the bed fit inside the niche? Is that a window to the left?

• Lidia
    4 years ago

I use mirrors to bounce light around a dark room. And no, I wouldn’t pint the brick. Get mirrors with white trim, install for symmetry and embrace the cool and quirky feature wall. The lamps need to be reflected in the mirror so get a size/shape you like that will do that. Then add a gorgeous chandelier for the mirrors to pick up on. The bricks are an earth element, mirrors will add a water/reflection element and lastly you’ll want something green or organic (soft texture) to warm up the space especially since it has north windows and it’s a bedroom.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I'm not sure the exposed brick in this case is a plus for the room. I would apply something over it.

• marisa_harney
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s an incredibly rough floor plan...

• PRO
    Jenni Leasia Interior Design
    4 years ago

Don't paint the brick! It's gorgeous and I agree with earlier comments that it would be a selling point. The suggestion by Slab is spot on.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@marisa_harney - I see the problem. It wouldn't hurt to TRY the bed on the opposite wall. I know it's not optimal to walk into the side of the bed, but it costs nothing to try. I assume since you are willing to paint the brick that you own this space? If that's the case, I have to say that I think @BeverlyFLADeziner said it well. That offset niche is always going to be a problem and would be best to cover up if you can. Then the bed will be in the best position and your problem solved. The brick will still be behind for the next owner. It also seems like there is another niche that seems to be covered by someone installing closets there? Is that correct?

• hazelcraddock
    4 years ago

Is the room large enough to angle the bed between the non AC window and brick niche. Highboy on brick wall near closet. Uplighting behind bed headboard (?)

Anita Diaz · More Info

to accent the brick niche. Or hanging light fixture behind head of bed. I don't usually like angled beds as there is a dead space behind the headbd. but in your case it might help accent the off centered location of the niche.

• katrina_ellen
    4 years ago

I like the large painting behind the bed idea. Only I would center it like a large headboard.

• User
    4 years ago

I definitely wouldn't change a thing about the brick. I might consider hanging two identically-framed (but different, complementary) works of art behind each mirror. One in the niche and one on the other side. The one in the niche will be a bit inset, but that's fine. The art wouldn't necessarily have to be this shape, but just to give you an idea:

• pricklypearcactus
    4 years ago

I love the brick and I think you've made excellent choices with the crisp white bedding and lights! The brick adds so much interest and it looks original not like someone put up faux brick veneer. I love IdaClaire's suggestion to add art in matched sizes on either side to add some brightness to the wall. If it were my room, I might also consider a headboard to break up the brick a bit. Perhaps upholstered in a light color (light gray?) maybe with nailheads. Also I realize your light might not be adding sufficient light for the room, but it is really pretty. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

• marisa_harney
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all!! Lots to consider, but I think you have convinced me I shouldn’t paint the brick. That was my biggest dilemma.

• Lisa T
    4 years ago

marisa_harney, you've had lots of advice, but I need a promise from you that you will NOT paint the brick. Can you do that?
    Really, your bed ought to go on the window wall, although beds blocking windows is nails on a chalkboard for me, plus you've got an hvac on your floor plan that would be in the way. can a night stand or the bed sit in front of the hvac? Furniture can float a bit, especially in a loft concept. Then I'd get some fabulous large leaning art for that arch or put the high boy there. I'm not a fan of putting your bed on the wall opposite of where it is now. I do like the angled bed idea, even though angled beds are real estate hogs.
    Once you start drilling into brick to hang art, you're kinda stuck with a hole that doesn't patch like a drywall wall. I'd go big with art and lean or uplight the brick wall and let it be the art that it is.

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

In your case it looks like this was the exterior of the house, not saying it was, but it's very heavy and dark. White brick has so much texture and for a master bedroom it makes so much sense to brighten it up. It is a permanent decision though so this was a great question...

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

I'd like to see pictures of the rest of the room and furniture. One of each wall. I am always against painting brick. It's a thing. You have a loft, that's part of what living in a loft is. But it's a bedroom. Dark is good for a good nights sleep. You don't show your dressers. Would your longest one fit framed in the nook? Taller one next to the closet? I'm thinking it may be better to have your bed in front of the windows. Wall to wall drapes that can cover the whole wall and open completely to let the most light in during the day. Set the bed out enough to make it easy to open the drapes.

• Lidia
    4 years ago

Consider mirrors, floor length behind each nightstand or...hang super cheap white or cream sheers from ceiling to floor, sheer enough so you can see the brick behind them but cover the entire wall. Add LED lighting between wall and sheets to wash the wall and provide light in the evenings. The sheets will be your “liming” without ruining the brick and giving you the lightness you seem to be seeking. It will not only keep dimension, add a great evening feature if lit and super economical option. Here are some Houzz inspiration photos...

• erinsean
    4 years ago

From your picture, it looks like there would be room to put your bed in front of the niche. But you could have only one night stand. And your bed would be beside a window. Shouldn't matter because you could have an easy chair and floor lamp on the side of your bed next to the closet. Or something to balance out the wall. I think a tall headboard would work if you centered the bed on the niche. Otherwise, I could see putting a false wall up, covering the brick so that future tenants could have the brick if they wanted. Sometimes rooms are frustrating, aren't they?

• Olychick
    4 years ago

If the best place for your bed is against the brick, then I'd try something like this...large enough and interesting enough to detract from the niche. Fabric would be easier to hang against uneven brick than framed art. I wouldn't paint the brick, but would choose a hanging that brightens the space. Just make sure to hang it in a way that it doesn't look like a college dorm room :-)

Or something this size behind the lamps on either side of the bed:

And speaking of college rooms...this popped up in my search and I thought it was kind of interesting for bringing light against your wall. Even without the sheer curtain or branches using little lights creatively could be fun.
    And lastly, you could look for some interesting folding screens that could stand on the floor behind your nightstands and partially hide the niche, with a tapestry hanging above the bed. Or use more colorful screens and skip hanging anything on the wall. I'm not suggesting this fabric, just the way the screen is used:
    Something like this could also work, but you'd have to rethink your tables and lamps.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

I was also thinking on the same lines as Oly. But my thought was to use fabric that could look like drapery. Something in a light color.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

The brick looks too cold and hard for a bedroom, IMO. Stretch a cable, or add a ceiling track and cover it with drapery.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

No way would I paint that brick. What about a massively oversized headboard? You chose to live in an industrial conversion, now you will have to be a little creative. I remember ikea used to sell a slatted one that was really long.

• teamjv
    4 years ago

I would say don’t paint the brick. It’s odd to me to do that. We had people we know who live in the most wonderful fir log house, they for some reason felt that there was to much wood and painted the young and groove ceiling white🤢🤢🤢

You have a classic, very nice niche wall. That wether you realize it or not was hand made by someone that had a specific skill. Don’t go slap some paint on that craftsmanship. I think a nicer bed that had strong wood elements to it would be a great compliment.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

How large is your square room? Would the bed in the room diagonally?

Alternately, could you move the headboard out away from the brick and create shallow cabinet with shelves and solid doors all the way across the room (head board height). Add a board vertically against the wall as "backsplash" atop that ... thicker at the niche location.

Then (perhaps from thick oak plywood), cut a pair of boards that would mimic/outline or even cover the arc of brick over the niche -- hanging the second one on the the other side of the brick for symmetry. Then hang mirrors or art with light cheerful colors from each arc piece, covering the niche and the same amount brick in a useful (storage) way without damaging or detracting from the value of the niche itself.

• Paula Cook
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Gonna answer this old question just for fun. The wall provides great character, and shouldn't be painted under any conditions, but it is *A LOT* of dry/old/earthy/dark/texture and is over-dominating the room and needs to be balanced with strong gloss/modern/smooth/white elements, especially in a North facing room.

The first thing that comes to mind is gloss white mod canopy bed so that the brick wall isn't dominating - this will ameliorate the lopsided vibe of the niche on the wall, too, because the lines of the canopy bed will be bright and assertive and strongly delineate the space with symmetry. Likewise, bright saturated color and clean-lines for the nightstands - campaign chests would be ideal with their clean lines and bright metallic delineating detail. Either bright royal blue or white in gloss would both be great.

The place I'd bring in more interest would actually be the lamps, switching those out for something with a wet/flow/rounded character. Let the mod lines come from the furniture, which are big enough to keep the wall from dominating. The chandelier needs to be changed, too, into something not so dainty and old-fashioned, again light, bright, and any metal here shiny (silver preferably here?).

Sidenote, contrary to what some others have mentioned, the brick wall isn't "cold" - it's a whole lot of warm. It's rosy sunset-colored terracotta baked in a kiln to keep us warm from the cold. With the above styling, it will actually look really great and cozy in the winter adding sheepskins in the room and blankets with bold patterns (whether modern or vintage, so long as it's bold pattern and saturated colors).

• Paula Cook
    2 years ago

Not sure why lamp keeps getting cut out of comment, but here it is:

• hbeing
    last year

I am sooo jealous. That wall is to die for.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County