SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelfr

Shower waterproofing: need professional advice

Rachel
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Professional advice needed. My builder claims that waterproofing shower walls is a bad idea. That it traps water, preventing the shower walls from drying. That you won't know you have a leak if you waterproof - which will result in problems. He says that using a Redguard type product on shower walls causes tile to fall off. He says that water does not get behind tile, unless there is a problem.

He uses Durock cement board behind tile. He says Durock is water resistant. There is no code for waterproofing shower walls in my state. The state apparently doesn't think it's necessary. My builder says he's been building showers this way for 40 years, without any problems. I'm educating myself. I've done a lot of reading. I even downloaded the TCNA handbook. My builder's cynical about the handbook's recommendations. He says the recommendations are overkill and a waste of money. He does waterproof all horizontal surfaces and niches. I don't want future water issues. Is my builder right or wrong about waterproofing shower walls? Thanks.

Comments (26)