SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pink_quesadillas

Help with suggestions for window treatments in a dark room?

L N
4 years ago

My west facing open floor plan house gets a lot of natural light in the front of the house and very very sparse light in the kitchen (no windows) and the family room/great room located in the back of the house. We have a covered patio off the back of the house with 4 interior windows facing it.

The rest of the house has white plantation shutters which we LOVE, however, I'm concerned if I replace these blinds on the rear windows they will block out too much light (even if left open all the time). Back of the house has an alley behind our backyard so we do need complete privacy in the evening but daytime privacy isn't really an issue.

Existing blinds look very yellow and dated after we painted the entire house white. For looks I would love to match the plantation shutters but not sure if that's the right move with light concerns. Our style is transitional leaning towards modern. House is a colonial on the outside. I hate anything with a cord (kids/dogs) or any type of curtain (too fussy, and allergy concerns). Should we do the shutters but lose the natural light or is there another clean/modern type of window covering without cords or fabric that would work in this room and play nice with the shutters in the rest of the house?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH