Need a Deideruzer for DHs Closet

sheilajoyce_gw

Years ago, I found a great closet deodorizer at Tuesday Morning that was little pea sized gel capsules in a jar. I bought several and they lasted for years. However, I did not save the name, so now I cannot find them and Tuesday Morning certainly no longer sells them. Can anyone recommend from actual experience the jar of these pea sized gels that really work on a man's closet?

SaveComment22Like
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sephia_wa

This isn't exactly what you're asking for, but I think these are more effective than scented deodorizers. Scented deodorizers don't get rid of the odor, they just mask over it to attempt to camouflage it.

These products are charcoal odor absorbers. They clean and purify the air. I used them in a room with a litterbox, and no one could tell there was a litter box because there wasn't any odor. They last forever - to reactivate the charcoal you just place them in the sun for an hour, and they're as good as new.

Breathe Green Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bag

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

What I am looking for did not add a scent. It neutralized the odor. I have bought other jars of little pea sized gels, and they do not work as well. I want to find a kind that does not add scent or odor and actually works.

Save    
bpath reads banned books too

Fresh Wave? Works great at deodorizing, not covering the odor. It’s little pea-size gelcaps, comes in a jar or in a vented bag. After my smoker brother borrowed dad’s car for a month, I put a Fresh Wave pack in the car and it removed the odor.

I can buy it at Ace, True Value, and the grocery store.

Hmm, I see they now have scents. But they still have the un scented.

Fresh Wave

Save    
arcy_gw

Menards, Dollar Tree....has them

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

What is making the unpleasant smell? Wouldn't eliminating the source if the odor be better than masking it? A foul odor means something is wrong in my book.

4 Likes Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

Ever read about Old Man Smell? Saw an article on it years ago in The Wall Street Journal. He's old, set in his ways, and thank goodness has his own closet.

1 Like Save    
Michael

Something may have died in there. Move stuff around, investigate.

2 Likes Save    
jemdandy

"Something may have died in there." LOL. Maybe there is a pile of dirty shorts in a corner or a bunch of old, sweaty shoes. Look for mouse pellets - Yuk.

Save    
Lucille

I think Zalco has a good idea. Maybe take everything out of the closet, wash the walls, shampoo the carpet. Moisture has a way of producing a funky smell after a while, so if he has a jacket or pants he wants to wear again before cleaning maybe it could air out overnight in the bedroom before being stored in the closet? Absorbent deodorant pellets might be good after you've done all that. I wonder if an open box of baking soda like people put in refrigerators might help?

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

If it were my husband I would apply some tough love. That closet needs to be mucked out.

Open boxes of baking soda is a myth. It's was just a way to sell more baking soda.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

Open boxes of baking soda is a myth. It's was just a way to sell more baking soda.

I checked that myth claim out since I have actually used baking soda in the past, and there is apparently controversy, some people say it works and others say it doesn't. How could that be?

Save    
Elizabeth

It has deodorizing ability. Such as sprinkling on a rug and letting it sit a bit before vacuuming .... Mixed with water to soak a plastic container that is holding an odor.... Used as a laundry additive.... Using as a paste for scrubbing. On and on.

An open box just sitting somewhere does nothing. ( Opinions may vary :-) )

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I think you mean a neutralizer, don't you? What about this one, easily obtained and inexpensive.

Save    
Lucille

I have gel beads like that, I can refresh mine by adding water. But I wonder about putting them in a closed area like the closet, would the evaporated water tend to create a haven for mold? Or is the evaporation too little to do that?

Save    
Elizabeth

It depends on what is causing the odor. Mold or mildew? Dirty clothes? Tobacco odor? Dampness?

Save    
dallasannie

oh, my! Give that closet a good clean out. He probably has a life style now that he may not wear most of those clothes. Paring down things when you get older has many benefits You don't need something to take out odors, you just need to empty and get rid of and give it a good clean. If it is worth keeping, it is worth paring down, cleaning and keeping in good order. Otherwise get rid of things.

If it happens to be tobacco odor that will never come out. Mens cologne is also permanent.

I know that our body odor does change as we age. Hubs and I are both of an age now that we notice the change in one another. I take it upon myself at times to gather all of his leisure things that he wears often and his house robes and put them into the wash because he does not do it often enough. He also went through and eliminated a lot of stuff after he retired, at my insistence.

There is no real such thing as eliminating odors without eliminating what is causing them. THAT is a myth that we tell ourselves. What ever it is that Febreeze that, supposedly, "eliminates" odors should have us all in horror at what it can possibly be. That does not happen in the natural world.

Save    
Elizabeth

Oh, the Febreeze. I visibly cringe when their TV commercial comes on and the woman sprays the denim jacket so she can "wear it again". Oh, please, toss it in the washer!

Save    
joann_fl

When my closet started stinking I found out my water heater leaked all over the carpet and mold was growing everywhere. Is that a possibility?

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

Found some stuff at BB&B, and it seems to do the job. Thanks all.

Save    
grapefruit1_ar

I agree that the source of the odor must be found. Only clean clothes go back into our closets.

Save    
joann_fl

what product did you find?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Three More Magic Words to Help the Housekeeping Get Done
As a follow-up to "How about now?" these three words can help you check more chores off your list
Full Story
Moving Retirement Reinvention: Boomers Plot Their Next Big Move
Choosing a place to settle in for the golden years? You're not alone. Where boomers are going and what it might look like
Full Story
Our operating philosophy as consulting engineers is based on the belief that each project has a unique solution... Read More
As a decorator, I am able to see things from my clients perspective and design to meet their needs. Style Savvy... Read More