SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Pickle questions

plllog
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I've never made pickles (I don't count salad pickles--the kind you dress up an hour or two before serving). Anova sent out a page about using their sous vide circulator for pickles, and proceeded to give recipe/directions for something which isn't canned properly and isn't a real recipe. They say it's shelf stable for 6 months but prefer to put it in the fridge for safety. Um, yeah! It's not canned! Screwing a lid on a mason jar does not make it so!

So, ignoring all that razzmatazz, I have questions: Do you think a sous vide circulator would be a good aid for canning? Do they even get hot enough? Don't you have to boil?

Re pickles, I know there are refrigerator pickle that are like long term salad pickles, where they sit in the dressing/brine for a long time in the fridge and become proper pickles. Other than not going through the canning process, what are differences are there between refrigerator pickles and proper pickles? Cooking, I figure, since the cold ones need not be cooked.

What about fermented pickles? Are they safe to be made at home by tyros? What does the fermenting process do that's different from the brining process?

I don't know that I have room for any of this. I buy jams and sauces, if they're good, because I don't have the space to store batches of canned foods, but I might like making pickles. We have some good quality ones available, but none of them are just right. I don't know what I don't know, yet, though, just that I don't know it. :)

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths