SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Homemade Pickle Question

shambo
11 years ago

My husband loves dill pickles, and he's on a salt restricted diet. For several years I had been able to order good tasting salt free dill pickles from an online source. Unfortunately, in the last few months the salt free pickles have been discontinued. In their place, the online source is selling "Rick's Picks." Lower in sodium than most grocery store pickles but not low enough for someone dealing with serious health issues.

I won't get into the serving size deception regarding supposed lower sodium pickles. For example, a serving size might be 2/3 of a pickle spear or 1/3 of a whole pickle or maybe 1 ounce (so then you're stuck weighing each pickle and cutting it down to size).

My questions are about making homemade pickles. I've read that you should use the freshest cukes possible and they shouldn't be too large. I will not be growing my own cucumbers but will try to purchase them at local farmers markets. They'll be fairly fresh -- either picked that morning or the day before. Sometimes, though, the cucumbers might be sort of large. Can I still hope for decent pickles given those limitations? Could I make just one jar at a time? Or is there a good refrigerator pickle recipe I should use rather than a traditional canning recipe?

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Low Sodium Dill Pickle Recipe

Comments (22)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES