SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline_lachance34

Kitchen design feedback, please!

Hi everyone!

We are renovating our small 1600 sq ft home this spring. The current kitchen is very small, U-shaped and next to an equally very small eating area that is unused. The room has a large sliding patio door, an opening to the living room, hallway and dining area. We are making the kitchen bigger by taking over the eating area. We are also opening up a wall between the kitchen and dining room to make it less closed in (unfortunately we can’t remove the entire wall run due to cost/living room).

I would love some feedback from you all much more experienced people than me! This is my first big renovation and I am nervous about making decisions that I will regret later. We added open shelves next to the stove/hood. Currently, I am having decision challenges with the microwave. It is located in a cabinet next to the fridge – this cabinet is 24 inches and the microwave is about 21 inches. I was hoping to have the cabinet maker finish the microwave opening with a strip of wood frame. Given the dimensions, I am wondering if a narrow frame of about 1 inch will not look great. What else can be done?

What do you like and what would you change? I know there is a small pinch point between the edge of the island and fridge but I can live with that since it is narrow.

Pictures of the old kitchen to get a sense of the space.

Comments (48)