SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Mysterious chlorine bleach smell. Help!

Kendrah
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have developed terrible sinus problems over the last month only when I am in my house. Symptoms disappear when I am outside or in other homes or buildings. The 3rd floor guest room is the only room in my house I can be in.

There is an intense chlorine / bleach / hot tub odor throughout my basement. Our laundry is on the second floor and I have twice smelled it in the laundry area too. What could this smell be from?

I am highly sensitive to chemicals: We have no bleach or chlorine or scented products in our house. Our cleaning person is sensitive to my needs and only cleans with my products. We use unscented everything. We have not had any work done to the house recently and when we do I read the material safety data sheet on every product used and use low or no voc products. We have no hot tub or swimming pool. Our house is old and the basement unfinished with a pargged stone foundation so we can see everything - a drywall. Our washing machine is 6 months old and we have never added bleach to it.

My husband who is allergic to dust mites and mold has no symptoms at all. None the less, we have done extensive mold testing, our cleaning person did a deep dusting, we have cleaned out our basement, every closet, behind appliances. I'm at my wits end. What can be causing this smell bleach / chlorine smell?

Comments (22)