SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Chlorine Bleach in Walmart chicken?

mamapinky0
6 years ago

I suspect there is....yesterday morning I cooked some Walmarts fresh chicken tenderloins for the dog, last night she didn't want to eat so I sat on the floor trying to hand feed her and dropped a piece of chicken on my grey PJ bottoms Lil gobbled it up so I set all her chicken on the knee area and she ate it....I changed my pants afterwards lol...this morning as I started a load of laundry I was shocked to find a large bleach stain on those pj's......anyone ever hear of bleach in chicken? This is concerning to me since my dog has to eat chicken.

Comments (23)

• DawnInCal
    6 years ago

If you google "bleach in chicken" all kinds of results come back. I have not taken the time to vet these articles for accuracy or whether or not they are true, but here is a link to a story by CBS New York from 2014.

Chlorine in Chicken

I remember reading a discussion about this a couple of years ago, but I don't remember where.

• Related Discussions

Is Powder Tide HE with bleach still made?

Q

Comments (12)
    I love Tide HE w/ Bleach powder! I've just recently re-discovered my stash after getting into a detergent rut. Two tablespoons in my Miele W4842 are all it takes to clean and leave clothes smelling fresh, but without a heavy-handed scent. I'm pleased with how well this powder cleans and rinses. In fact, clothes come out very soft and fluffy after using Tide HE w/ Bleach powder.
    ...See More

Adding Chlorine Dollar Store vs Pool Supply

Q

Comments (1)
    Clorox or Walmart Brands are fine. 1 qt per 10kgal please. Scott
    ...See More

Persil at Walmart!

Q

Comments (290)
    I still use Persil but not the inferior product sold at Walmart and possibly other places. My clothes come out clean. Our towels, at least ten years old, look as white as the day we bought them. It takes the right washer, the right detergent, the right temperature, and knowing the type of fabric. Unfortunately, many consider laundry a chore, to be done as fast as possible. No thought to care. Bleach is not the answer but this is what this country has been sold on. Instead, we should evaluate the stains then treat them accordingly. Of course, clothes are so cheap. Toss them an buy new. Not something my husband and I practice. Our stuff lasts many years!
    ...See More

Chlorine Bleach

Q

Comments (50)
    Webuser, I'm not a fan of regular use of chlorine bleach in the laundry, it can be a real pain to rinse out, and that is where the real problems with chlorine is ..not so much in the washer but out of the washer where it lays in the fabric turning things yellow and munching away, I do however believe as long as you follow a few required steps you will have great results, there's a few members here that use chlorine bleach the correct way and it works for them. I may not use it often but it does have its place in the laundry room.
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Agreed after cooking any bleach would be gone. What about the dog bowl could it have been washed out with bleach and not washed out well?

I buy boneless skinless chicken breast for my dog to eat exclusively except for the rare crunchies food she eats. I cook it in my aroma cooker in water and use the brown rice setting so it is Boiled longer. Every time I cook it it smells horrible. I buy it at Kroger. But even the ones I buy at Sprouts when it's on sale smells terrible cooking. I don't know if if it's because it's being Boiled or something. I tried putting it in a broiler pan and roasting it and it was not as bad.

It never smells like chlorine though.

• Hareball
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You'd be surprised what you find if you look. There are many other uses for Milk of Magnesia other than a laxative. So I would buy some from time to time but looked at the ingredients once and sure enough bleach was one of the ingredients. You have to get it at Dollar General to get one without bleach.

I don't eat beef and I would buy the precooked cut up chicken (like for salads) in the refrigerator section. Once again out of curiosity I checked and there was some kind of beef flavoring added to the chicken. I also heard they add this to the fries at McD's. I know it was a flavoring but it makes you wonder how many people buy these items as vegetarians (the fries) or people who don't eat certain things for certain reasons.

If you have concerns please check cos you never know.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

By the way your faucet water can at times contain very high levels of chlorine bleach. Just last week ours reeked of bleach out of the tap. I used to use the pool testing kit to see what the levels were. I don't have one now but that day it would have been in the very high level. I did not do laundry because I was afraid I would have bleached clothes.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

Depending on which plant the chicken is processed in, there is disinfectant solution that the chicken is dipped in to kill e.coli. The amount of chlorine in that solution would be too minute to taste.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

As others have said, the processing of chicken in too many of the large scale factories that have become so common involves dunking the raw meat in chlorinated water. It does absorb some and often packages of raw chicken indicate the contents includes a not insignificant percentage of water by weight. Sometimes 10% or more. Flavor leaches out of the meat when in water, it is what it is as a means of trying to control bacterial contamination which is also very common on chicken from large plants. You would indeed expect the chlorine to disperse with cooking. Further, cooking it in water would lead to more flavor and nutrients leaching out of the meat.

There are premium chicken producers who process chicken meat using "air cooling" rather than chlorinated cold water. The flavor of this chicken is superior and it's what we eat but I'm not suggesting a need to pay extra for what gets fed to a dog.

Why aren't these dogs eating dog food? Reliable brand dog foods are carefully formulated for ratios of carbs/protein/fat and to provide all the nutrients and vitamins and minerals needed for good health. A limited diet of human food isn't likely to do so.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Mine has severe food allergies, chicken is about the only thing that doesn't make her extremely ill. I have supplements to add to it so she gets all the extras. Vet tried her on a brand new one they just got in thinking maybe she could eat it but it gave her stomach distress. I found one food chicken and rice dog food I tried to add little bits of it to her chicken and sometimes it doesn't make her sick. It is just painful to see her so sick when I try to give her other things. I rather just do chicken with her vitamins, Probiotics and other supplements. My vet thinks it was because she was living in the wild and eating bugs and grubs to survive before we rescued her.

• veggiegardnr
    6 years ago

Those who.are feeding your dogs chicken...I hope you've seen a veterinary nutritionist to get a proper recipe (which will include many supplements) for your dogs (or are using something like the veterinary-nutritionist formulated product called BalanceIt along with one of their recipes), because there are somewhere around 20 nutritional deficiencies and imbalances that you have to make up for when feeding just chicken to your dog. You can't just give a pet multivitamin and fix the nutritional deficiencies, either. I'd probably just avoid Wal-Mart chicken.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone.

I do use bottled water to boil her chicken as I always wonder if tap complicates her issues although Vet says no. yep lots of chlorine in tap water which is why I use a special ingredient in the washer when doing darks/colors.

Elmer...as far as **what gets fed to a dog** most of us with pets choose to feed the best as in healthy high quality understanding that they arnt just a dog but an important part of our families. My dog is under the care of 2 Vets and do to her medical issues eats what the Vets feel is safe for her.

I understand the chlorine/chicken/ factories I just wondered if Walmart was spraying the chicken lol

Thanks everyone.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

I agree with veggiegardnr but note that while board certified veterinary nutritionists are the experts to see for eating problems, they're not numerous and may be hard to find in many parts of the US . Most vets don't know much about nutrition or eating problems, it's not a topic that's given a lot of coverage in vet school (according to the vet in my family).

I'm of mixed thoughts when it comes to vets selling food but I would run away as fast as possible and not return to any vet who recommended only food that they sell.

Canine nutrition with home diets

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

So...I guess the pajama pants are ruined? There really isn't any way to repair a large bleached out spot is there? OK ....I did repair a tiny bleach spot on a favorite pair of black pants. Near the hem. With a permanent back marker. I couldn't even find the spot after repeated washes. LOL.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Elizabeth no way to fix this bleach stain, but they are an old pair of capri style pj bottoms so I'll continue wearing them since they are just wear around the house ones anyway.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

I think you misunderstood. The chicken I was referring to that's not water or chlorine treated is free-range, organic, air cooled chicken. It's double or more the price of regular chicken in a supermarket and maybe its 3 times more expensive or even more than that, than chicken from Walmart. My comment was intended to suggest that it's not necessary to buy such expensive food to ensure a dog is given a wholesome and adequate diet. The article I linked above, written by a veterinary nutritionist, briefly mentioned research results that home diets not developed by a trained veterinary nutritionist may in fact not be healthful for an animal. That suggests that a better choice may be to find a commercial food that the dog's digestive system can tolerate.

Just as a data point, my dog's "sensitive stomach" (that led to almost daily vomiting) was "cured" by breaking her total daily ration of mass market (from Petco) dry dog food into more numerous but smaller feedings. It was suspected that maybe she overproduced gastric juice and that more frequent but smaller feedings would solve the problem. It did.

• kittymoonbeam
    6 years ago

All kinds of malarkey goes on at meat processing plants and we don't find out. I'd lay a piece of chicken on a piece of med to dark cotton and see what happens. Did you know it's legal for pizza companies to include sawdust in cheese so it spreads easier? I'm sorry about your clothes.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Kitty, for that reason, I never buy the pre-shredded cheese. Have you noticed that it's not a nice melty cheese? It's coated with cornstarch so that it doesn't all stick together in the bag, as real cheese would.

• irma
    6 years ago

Yikes! I think I would be very upset if I suspected there was that much bleach in something for consumption. It doesn't seem possible, but stranger things have happened. Like kittymoonbeam said, I would be doing some testing. Hope your little Lil is okay.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

OK, Mama. If your pajamas that were ruined (I don't know how to add to how that may have happened) are just 'old pair of capri style pj bottoms, wear around the house ones'.....I wanna know where you're going when you wear your nicer PJ pants ;0)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lmbo Morz....well, to bed of course Haha. I could never crawl into my snowy, crisp, smooth, sweet smelling antique bed linens in anything less than the best of my pj bottoms, the ones with the least tattered hems, and with elastic waist band in tact and not pinned with safety pins..haha

• User
    6 years ago

This comment is to ravencajun specifically as I could not IM her...you mentioned your dog eats only boneless skinless chicken breast with occasional kibble. Your dog may be very deficient in calcium without the included bone and is at risk for fractures. If you don't want to feed raw with bones then have bone in chicken ground up by the butcher and then cook it.

Not trying to be a pain but just a dog lover!

(Not a vet but an MD who reads a ton of canine nutrition and physiology articles as a dog owner)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

The supplements the vet has her on has all of that covered. I wanted to make sure she was getting everything she needed and her vets assured me that she would be with her supplements.

Thanks for the concern! We do continue to occasionally test new foods hoping that we can find something that works with her condition, so far we have one type of crunchies that she can take in small amounts occasionally and one soft food in tiny amounts added to the chicken. That's a big deal. It is difficult to do test when I know it could make her so sick within hours and I can't help her. She is my baby! She has regular visits with her vets and they are very comfortable with her progress.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have the same issues as Raven with my little dog. Frequent Vet appointments with occasional blood draw but always checking her over well paying special attention to her gums. We have tried many different dog foods some not too bad but many causing great suffering. Its been advised by both her vets that I should continue trying, but there needs to be heal time along with well time in between. To date we have found Wellness Toy breed chicken, rice,& pea formula to be the easiest on her gastro as long as its given 1 T at a time and only a few times a day.

Raven I understand how hard this is and how difficult it is to see our babies suffer so much. We continue doing the best we can.

• User
    6 years ago

wow, is anything safe anymore?